Search

Incoming International Transfer at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Incoming International Transfer at EWR

Hi,

Has anyone done this and know if its possible?

I'm booked to return to the US in a few weeks. Flight is ORY->EWR->DFW->SMF

Now ORY is not a pre clearance airport so I will need to recheck my bag. To make things worse ORY->EWR is a code share operated by BA (OpenSkies). BA8001 typically arrives at Terminal B and EWR->DFW (AA 275) operates out of Terminal C typically.

I have one hour fifty five minutes.

Has anyone tried to do such international incoming connection (essentially 2 hour connection at EWR from Terminal C to Terminal B).
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it's bookable as a single ticket, it's within MCT. But, it is not within SCT (Sensible Connection Time).

The real question is what is your Plan B. If you misconnect at EWR, what is the next routing to SMF, presuming it's available and you aren't flying TCON in a middle seat near the lav?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If it's bookable as a single ticket, it's within MCT. But, it is not within SCT (Sensible Connection Time).

The real question is what is your Plan B. If you misconnect at EWR, what is the next routing to SMF, presuming it's available and you aren't flying TCON in a middle seat near the lav?
Yes, its booked. What would the SCT be this type of connection.

I read through a lot of threads on the topic but they are a few years old. From these threads I worked out one has to essentially do the following. The estimates of time for each step are in parentheses:

a) Clear Immigration (20 minutes)
b) Get and recheck bags (45 minutes)
c) Take monorail and re-clear security (20 minutes).

Is that still the case today?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
(a) and (b) are widely variable. They might take 5 minutes or 3 hours. Do you have Global Entry? Can you avoid checking the bag?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

Has anyone done this and know if its possible?

I'm booked to return to the US in a few weeks. Flight is ORY->EWR->DFW->SMF

Now ORY is not a pre clearance airport so I will need to recheck my bag. To make things worse ORY->EWR is a code share operated by BA (OpenSkies). BA8001 typically arrives at Terminal B and EWR->DFW (AA 275) operates out of Terminal C typically.

I believe you will be arriving into TermB and departing from TermA, basically the same distance time wise between the terms

I have one hour fifty five minutes.

Has anyone tried to do such international incoming connection (essentially 2 hour connection at EWR from Terminal C to Terminal B).
You might not make it if you go to TermC @ EWR.AA only flys out of TermA! TermC is all UA/CO The problem you made is 275 flys DFW-EWR-DFW and it leaves from the C gates/term @ DFW but arrives into TermA @ EWR and departs from there as well

If its enough time to make the AA departure from TermA all depends if you have GE(GlobalEntry) or if not how long the PP lines are and how many other flights arrive at the same time period = alot of flights = longer time for the bags to come out
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

c) Take monorail and re-clear security (20 minutes).
Takes les then that to walk between the 2 terms
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks Craz.

Your right, 275 departs from Terminal A.

So can I walk b/w Terminal B and A without clearing security again? How long does it take.

Since I don't have global entry is it all fruitless to even try this connection?

I really hate it when airlines sell you tickets with MCT that are actually impossible!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
So can I walk b/w Terminal B and A without clearing security again? How long does it take.
Once you clear customs, you are landslide in Terminal B. You have to clear security in Terminal A.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; UA Silver
My recent experiences at Terminal A in EWR have been very positive. For the most part, security has taken me less than 10 minutes to clear at various times during the day. Verus Term C, it is considerably smaller and easier to navigate.

The biggest challenge would be immigration as Term B can vary extremely depending on the time of day your flight from ORY gets in. Most International Flights into EWR (including a bunch of United flights) go through Terminal B. My last experience their returning from SJD took over 2hrs (though it was at 9pm).

Good luck.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeiman
My recent experiences at Terminal A in EWR have been very positive. For the most part, security has taken me less than 10 minutes to clear at various times during the day. Verus Term C, it is considerably smaller and easier to navigate.

The biggest challenge would be immigration as Term B can vary extremely depending on the time of day your flight from ORY gets in. Most International Flights into EWR (including a bunch of United flights) go through Terminal B. My last experience their returning from SJD took over 2hrs (though it was at 9pm).

Good luck.
Thanks.

I'm arriving at EWR Terminal B @ 1:20pm on Friday leaving Terminal A Gate 33 @ 3:15pm.

Unfortunately there are no other later flights from EWR->DFW->SMF so I'm a bit stuck if I don't make it ...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Thanks.

I'm arriving at EWR Terminal B @ 1:20pm on Friday leaving Terminal A Gate 33 @ 3:15pm.

Unfortunately there are no other later flights from EWR->DFW->SMF so I'm a bit stuck if I don't make it ...
Well AA can FIM you over to UA, if you find a nice enough agent (@ EWR good luck with that with any carrier).

As others have said once you clear PP @ TB you will be landside, check to see if you can recheck your bag in the arrival hall for the AA flight(being NY based I dont have that experience). If you do walk it when you get out of TB go to your Left
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Well AA can FIM you over to UA, if you find a nice enough agent (@ EWR good luck with that with any carrier).

As others have said once you clear PP @ TB you will be landside, check to see if you can recheck your bag in the arrival hall for the AA flight(being NY based I dont have that experience). If you do walk it when you get out of TB go to your Left
Actually, I found out there is a later flight. EWR->DFW->SMF that runs on fridays. Is it worth asking to be put on those later flights? I'd rather hang around EWR for a bit than get stuck their over night!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would avoid booking this. Too many things to go wrong.

Might AA rebook on UA? Not likely if the inbound is on time and the delays at at CBP.

If AA might rebook on UA, is there space and does that mean a middle seat near the lav?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Another suggestion is to grab an uber - if you have checked luggage then hauling it between B and A is a pain (it's a bit hilly with ramps and such).

With uber (minimum is $10) you ping the driver when you're about to exit customs so they are waiting for you. Ask them to meet you outside at departures level @ terminal B. Jump the cab around the airport, and you'll be dropped off 5 minutes later in front of curbside checkin in Terminal A. That's certainly the most dignified/fastest way to do the transit.

If you have any status with AA and get priority access you should be ok lines wise. The lines look scary but I haven't seen them take more than 15 minutes. Jetblue's concourse (Also terminal A) is much scarier. The worst time for the AA gates security is in the early morning around 5.30 am- terrible crunch at that time.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Actually, I found out there is a later flight. EWR->DFW->SMF that runs on fridays. Is it worth asking to be put on those later flights? I'd rather hang around EWR for a bit than get stuck their over night!
1- I would leave things as they are, are all the flights on 1 tkt? or 2 different tkts? If 1 and your CDG flight is delayed then OS will be responsible should you arrive with < MCT.

Or you could arrive earlier and have no problem making the connection

2- Id would write down the later flights and have it on the ready should you need it

3- try and get OS to tag your bags all the way thru better chance of being able to recheck it @ TB or at least you can use the 'bag drop" line @ TA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.