Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU Waitlist Request Date & Future Status Changes?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
SWU Waitlist Request Date & Future Status Changes?

Apologies if this is existing info, I searched and couldn't find an answer.

Currently sitting at Plat but will be back to EXP by August. Booked a flight for next February including DFW-HKG. Due to AA messing up a re-deposit last year, I currently have some Feb '16 expiring SWUs in my account and am looking to wait-list them for the flights. I figure as Plat I have about 0 chance of an upgrade on this route. But, if I put my request in now, will that date of request stick after I hit EXP this summer? Would I have to do anything to have AA refresh my status on the wait-list once I hit EXP? I figure getting a 4 month jump on the request time would probably be good for this competitive upgrade flight.

Thanks in advance!.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
After you hit EXP I would definitely call AA to have your status refreshed on the reservation.

Not sure about whether the original request date sticks or not. However, you have nothing to lose by requesting it now. Even if the request date resets, as an EXP requesting a SWU in August for a flight in February, you're sure to be very close to if not at the top of the list.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Good suggestion in Post #2.

When you hit EXP, call AA to refresh your status, and ask NOT to change the time stamp on your UG. I think AA will honor that.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The bad news is that if your SWUs don't clear, they'll be very close to their expiration dates at that time. It could be hard to use them (well) at that point.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Agreed. It may be a good idea to check on the flight a few weeks before and if J=0, you may want to use them for something else while you still can.
OTOH, even 1 redemption for HKG is better than
2 domestic!
Old May 13, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by mikelat
Apologies if this is existing info, I searched and couldn't find an answer.

Currently sitting at Plat but will be back to EXP by August. Booked a flight for next February including DFW-HKG. Due to AA messing up a re-deposit last year, I currently have some Feb '16 expiring SWUs in my account and am looking to wait-list them for the flights. I figure as Plat I have about 0 chance of an upgrade on this route. But, if I put my request in now, will that date of request stick after I hit EXP this summer? Would I have to do anything to have AA refresh my status on the wait-list once I hit EXP? I figure getting a 4 month jump on the request time would probably be good for this competitive upgrade flight.

Thanks in advance!.
This is always tricky because if the agent takes you off the upgrade list, then refreshes the reservation, you will get a new time stamp.

However, if all the agent does is remove your AAdvantage number, and then puts it back, you were never removed from the upgrade list so you maintain the original time stamp and your status gets upgraded to reflect the new priority on the list.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I had to move my HKG travel out to March so I figured no point in calling since they probably won't put me on waitlist post-expiration without any other SWUs in the bank. I'll just hope that a Sep request for Mar flights as EXP will clear, although I realize DFW-HKG & return is a tough upgrade.

I've done that same route about 14 times already. Around the time AA first setup the flights I booked 7 RTs to either HKG or BKK including DFW-HKG segments and was able to clear ugprades on all at time of booking. Too bad that's gone now
Old May 16, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by mikelat
I had to move my HKG travel out to March so I figured no point in calling since they probably won't put me on waitlist post-expiration without any other SWUs in the bank. I'll just hope that a Sep request for Mar flights as EXP will clear, although I realize DFW-HKG & return is a tough upgrade.

I've done that same route about 14 times already. Around the time AA first setup the flights I booked 7 RTs to either HKG or BKK including DFW-HKG segments and was able to clear ugprades on all at time of booking. Too bad that's gone now
Same here, I did a RT in June of 14 and in July and scored all 4 segments to J on booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.