LAN Ecuador / XL Premium Economy labeled First on AA website

Old May 4, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
LAN Ecuador / XL Premium Economy labeled First on AA website

I was about to book a roundtrip ticket on the website.
Outbound: AA1278(SD14ZNI3)/XL517(PLXRYD8V)/XL1557(PLXRYD8V)
Return: XL1556(VLELE005)/XL516(PLXRYD8V)/AA61(SD14ZNI3)

When I view the details of the individual segments, XL517 and XL516 are in the first class cabin.

When I read the description of the fare, it's in the premium economy cabin. Does American's website usually consider seats in the premium economy cabin of its partners as a first class seat? Or is it a glitch how the system talks to XL's system?
FARE PREMIUM ECONOMY APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. OTHER CONDITIONS FULL AND SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT COUPONS TICKET WILL BE VOID IF FLIGHT COUPONS ARE NOT USED IN THE SEQUENCE PROVIDED IN THE TICKET /// TARIFA PREMIUM ECONOMY ESTA TARIFA APLICA PARA CLASE ECONOMICA USO SECUENCIAL DE LOS CUPONES DE VUELO EL TICKET NO SERA VALIDO SI LOS CUPONES DE VUELO NO SON USADOS EN EL ORDEN EMITIDO EN EL TICKET ///
I assume these seats are not in First but Premium Economy.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
LAN doesn't offer a first/business class cabin on the route so AA offers the next best thing if that's the desired cabin of service.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
LAN doesn't offer a first/business class cabin on the route so AA offers the next best thing if that's the desired cabin of service.
So in a two-class configuration in which the cabins are Economy and Premium Economy, the higher class gets labeled as First?
Old May 9, 2015, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Premium Economy labeled First on AA website

I got a response from AA. XL's premium economy will show up as first class because they're the same type of cabin.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread's title updated to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Old May 9, 2015, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Sant
I got a response from AA. XL's premium economy will show up as first class because they're the same type of cabin.
Something tells me that the person who wrote this response didn't actually verify this with anyone and just made up a response that fit the circumstances.
Old May 9, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave
Thread's title updated to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Thanks for the correction to the thread topic.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1 Million Miles, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, AA Citi Exec, Hilton Aspire, Bilt
I've flown on a LAN Airbus 320 in "premium economy" and it is far inferior to a typical AA narrow body domestic F seat. Think BA "club europe" to imagine a comparable product (blocked middle seat, perhaps an inch or two of extra legroom).
Old May 11, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rock Harders
I've flown on a LAN Airbus 320 in "premium economy" and it is far inferior to a typical AA narrow body domestic F seat. Think BA "club europe" to imagine a comparable product (blocked middle seat, perhaps an inch or two of extra legroom).
What about the soft product?

Last edited by Sant; May 11, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old May 12, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Sant
So in a two-class configuration in which the cabins are Economy and Premium Economy, the higher class gets labeled as First?
No, but it's a premium cabin fare and so books into the only premium cabin available on the LAN flight, even though "premium" in that case is debatable.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
OP, here's my rule of thumb on this one:

1. If I'm not willing to pay AA's first class and will not use a SWU on the route (which is typically the case since this would be a waste of a SWU), and the price of XL's premium economy is the same as coach in AA, then buy the XL ticket.

2. If I'm willing to pay AA's first class and have to decide between AA and XL premium economy, go with AA and don't do XL at all.

On XL, the seat is basically the same as coach. They just block the middle seat, like they do in Europe. The food is pretty much the same as coach, nothing out of the ordinary but much better food than AA's coach.

Also consider that XL has a terrible arrival time into UIO. However, the return is not too bad but you are also connecting to AA61 which means you have to go from one terminal to the other in MIA - a total pain.

If I were you I would stick to AA through UIO and only do XL to Galapagos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.