Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Upgrade List Order

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

American Upgrade List Order

I have a question about upgrade priority. I'm currently Aadvantage Gold and I recently flew from DFW to MAD and I requested an upgrade. I was given the upgrade to business class but it involved paying $350 plus 25,000 miles. Now, my question is if I got the upgrade because there were no EXP members who wanted to be upgraded?

In other words, assuming there is an empty business class seat and an EXP member requests an upgrade and someone who is Gold requests an upgrade but the Gold person will be charged money and miles for it, who gets the upgrade? I think that out of loyalty it will probably go to the EXP member even he won't be paying 'extra' for it. Am I correct?

Thanks,
BJ
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
An EXP member would also have to pay for the upgrade, either with miles+copay or with a SWU.

And yes, an EXP would be prioritized ahead of a lower status member on the waiting list, regardless of the instrument type.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by bjman
I have a question about upgrade priority. I'm currently Aadvantage Gold and I recently flew from DFW to MAD and I requested an upgrade. I was given the upgrade to business class but it involved paying $350 plus 25,000 miles. Now, my question is if I got the upgrade because there were no EXP members who wanted to be upgraded?
Upgrades requested by EXP and PLT (if there were any) cleared before yours - it doesn't matter if those elites were using miles + copay or SWUs.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
OP-
I think you're confused by the domestic upgrade policies that AA uses... For longhaul international travel, there's no "free" upgrades. All members, regardless of status must use either a System Wide Upgrade or a Mileage+Copay instrument.

It's not clear to me that you understand that Mileage+Copay was your only available way into J. It's very common for empty seats in J and F to go out empty with plenty of elites in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.