Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA # 110 ORD-FCO reliability ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Last nights flight is in the air about 16 hours behind schedule and since April 1 its been more than a little late 5 times. Looks like its all maintenance.

Any idea what is wrong with this route ? Reminds me of the old ORD - FRA 763 flight.

I get the idea of a couple of hours but to leave 16 hours behind schedule makes me wonder if AA didn't have any sort of a back up ability on other carriers.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
No clue, but could it be it's taking them longer to do roll-call of ground personnel before allowing planes to take off?

Unfortunately, there's no indication the flight left with all scheduled passengers. It is possible some were moved to other flights. They would still need to reposition the equipment passengers or not (unless they can also cancel the return leg).
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

5 out of 17 late this month. Wow.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by idainc
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
12 out of 17 on time. Wow! (70.5%)
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat

Sounds like UA!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Not that far off AA's 73% performance for much of this year.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight....do?airline=AA
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:45 pm

Apologies for reviving an old thread.

Was looking at AA110 (ORD-FCO segment) history since we'll be on it in a couple of weeks. It's not a matter of on-time performance as such, but of how late it is when it is late. According to flightaware, just over the last week, on 8/10 and 8/12 it has left 3-4 hours late.

Is this because small pieces are falling off the aged 763 and need to be glued back? Seriously, does anyone have a way to look up the issue on those dates? (I can't get to those dates on Flightstats.)
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

OP here. For the exact reason you're citing, I opted off of this flight and took #720 CLT-FCO. It seemed to have less of an issue with arrival time discrepancies early in the summer.

Instead of parts flying off, we had difficulty getting that second glass of water to take our medications with. Absolutely disgraceful service (rant off).
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:58 pm

OP here. For the exact reason you're citing, I opted off of this flight and took #720 CLT-FCO. It seemed to have less of an issue with arrival time discrepancies early in the summer.

Instead of parts flying off, we had difficulty getting that second glass of water to take our medications with. Absolutely disgraceful service (rant off).
Very typical service for USAIR on international long haul.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Very typical service for USAIR on international long haul.
Truly combative and a new low. By contrast AB service (although cramped in Y) was really quite good. All the water you'd like to drink with no complaints.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:09 pm

Truly combative and a new low. By contrast AB service (although cramped in Y) was really quite good. All the water you'd like to drink with no complaints.
USAIR is not very good and the CEO thinks that the AA employees are the problem.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It's not a matter of on-time performance as such, but of how late it is when it is late. According to flightaware, just over the last week, on 8/10 and 8/12 it has left 3-4 hours late.
Yesterday 8/18, ORD-FCO was 4 hours late.

I'm beginning to worry about our flight next week. There doesn't seem to be the same scale of problem on other 767 routes (admittedly I only looked at JFK-MXP and JFK-ZRH). Maybe there is a specific 767 they use on ORD-FCO that is in bad shape. Flightstats gives timeline details for 8/18 that I cannot interpret, but it looks like the tail number was changed back and forth several times. I don't know why they would need to do that.

Flightstats also says "This flight has an average delay of 99 minutes with a standard deviation of 85.89 minutes...this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights." What the heck? I know AA is no prize, but I thought it was better than that.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Yesterday 8/18, ORD-FCO was 4 hours late.

I'm beginning to worry about our flight next week. There doesn't seem to be the same scale of problem on other 767 routes (admittedly I only looked at JFK-MXP and JFK-ZRH). Maybe there is a specific 767 they use on ORD-FCO that is in bad shape. Flightstats gives timeline details for 8/18 that I cannot interpret, but it looks like the tail number was changed back and forth several times. I don't know why they would need to do that.

Flightstats also says "This flight has an average delay of 99 minutes with a standard deviation of 85.89 minutes...this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights." What the heck? I know AA is no prize, but I thought it was better than that.
Pretty much all of your guesses are wrong. AA has 50+ 767's in their fleet, not counting any from US. There's not a single plane doing the route nor is there a single common issue. The aircraft are neither old, nor poorly maintained.

Unfortunately, many departures to international destinations are delayed. O'Hare has a poor record for on-time departures and there's likely a mix of 100 different factors leading to this flight delaying from time to time. Anyone who's flown to Rome also knows that FCO is no peach either.

If you're willing to take the better part of a day (domestic flight, leaving enough buffer for safe connection time, etc) to avoid a potential delay of 3-4 hours, go ahead, but you might find yourself worse off when you miss your connection.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by millionmiler
USAIR is not very good and the CEO thinks that the AA employees are the problem.
Where the hell did you get that from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.