Community
Wiki Posts
Search

email from AA re TSA Pre-Check

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure about LAX but SFO has a prominent "No Walk Ins" sign.

Despite that, we did sort of "walk in" a couple of weeks ago. Mrs. SFO had been getting the big X on every arrival and CBP officers suspected bad fingerprints. They weren't busy and re-took her fingerprints.
I will have to take a look then. I've seen the door at Terminal 1, but never noticed a sign indicating No Walk In's. Just noticed it was offered in the application.

All being said, out of LAX, ( always flying out of 4), I had a Pre√ boarding pass 100% of the time for 2014/2015. Maybe I just got lucky.

HP
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Indeed, it's the other way around - there are people who qualify for GE (and hence a KTN) that don't meet the requirements for TSA Pre as originally defined (specifically, non-US citizens, even those without a greencard or non-resident visa, can get GE).
Only a few selected non-US nationals are eligible for GE (the Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, Mexico, and Panama citizens).

The removal of elite passengers affects passengers who are living in the US on a long(-ish) term visa most (H1B and L1 comes to mind) since they are not a GC holder.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Indeed, it's the other way around - there are people who qualify for GE (and hence a KTN) that don't meet the requirements for TSA Pre as originally defined (specifically, non-US citizens, even those without a greencard or non-resident visa, can get GE).
FYI, as a green card holder (permanent resident) WITH Global Entry, I NEVER got TSA PRE on my boarding pass. NEVER (and yes, I made sure that my KTN was with my AA profile and in the reservation before traveling, I checked and made sure several times)

Only after I naturalized as a US Citizen and updated that to my Global Entry and airline profile, I started to get 100% of the time TSA PRE.

So, it seems that non-us citizens with Global Entry DON'T get TSA Pre.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
FYI, as a green card holder (permanent resident) WITH Global Entry, I NEVER got TSA PRE on my boarding pass. NEVER (and yes, I made sure that my KTN was with my AA profile and in the reservation before traveling, I checked and made sure several times)

Only after I naturalized as a US Citizen and updated that to my Global Entry and airline profile, I started to get 100% of the time TSA PRE.

Green card holders with Global Entry didn't get TSA PreCheck until July 2014. Then the TSA changed its policy and now they get TSA PreCheck.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is nonsense. The only requirement was to be frequent flyer (EXP, etc).
You can have a US citizen turned terrorist (or terrorist turned citizen) fly for one - five years, get EXP, get TSA PRE...boom!!! hijack a plane.
9/11 was not planned last minute and there are reports it started being planned in 1995 (6 years prior).
Flying a lot or being elite without an issue really does not prove anything.
Respectively disagree. Lack of a criminal record may be a good predictor of someone's propensity to smuggle and therefore may be the best determinant for GE. I think a long history of flying without issue is a better predictor of future flight behavior instead of criminal history and therefore is the better determinant for Pre-Check. After all, the two programs are clearing a traveler for two different things.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by nov11
Only a few selected non-US nationals are eligible for GE (the Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, Mexico, and Panama citizens).

The removal of elite passengers affects passengers who are living in the US on a long(-ish) term visa most (H1B and L1 comes to mind) since they are not a GC holder.
I know some UK citizens have got GE because a colleague of mine has. I actually put him onto a thread here on FT that explained how to apply for it. You had to email some specific individual in the DHS who gave you an application code. You then had to get a police report in the UK and follow the standard GE application process - including scheduling the interview. My colleague did his interview at YOW on a business trip. Apparently the officer there was very confused since he'd never heard of UK citizens getting GE before (and he was a NEXUS guy anyway).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Respectively disagree. Lack of a criminal record may be a good predictor of someone's propensity to smuggle and therefore may be the best determinant for GE. I think a long history of flying without issue is a better predictor of future flight behavior instead of criminal history and therefore is the better determinant for Pre-Check. After all, the two programs are clearing a traveler for two different things.
Yeah I think that is the point. I agree.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

I disagree.

A German friend of mine (lives in Germany, no green card, no long stay visa) applied for and got Global Entry. His interview at LAX was 3/30/15, final approval 4/3/15. He then got Pre-Check on his flight back to Germany 4/7/15.

There is a forum in German called www.vielfliegertreff.de where US Global Entry for Germans is discussed in detail.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:58 pm

I know some UK citizens have got GE because a colleague of mine has. I actually put him onto a thread here on FT that explained how to apply for it. You had to email some specific individual in the DHS who gave you an application code. You then had to get a police report in the UK and follow the standard GE application process - including scheduling the interview. My colleague did his interview at YOW on a business trip. Apparently the officer there was very confused since he'd never heard of UK citizens getting GE before (and he was a NEXUS guy anyway).
When did this happen? I thought UK citizens were discontinued from the list of GE approved nationals a couple of years back... Please share if otherwise!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:06 pm

Also to add: am a UK citizen so not allowed to be enrolled into GE/NEXUS (at least so far as I am aware)

Previously US CP and got TSA-Pre pretty consistently perhaps 90% towards 100% as they got close to integration. I always thought it was 'building a track record' over time. Suddenly post integration and when matched over to EXP, no more TSA-Pre, literally 0%.

While I'm sure many are happy about this, have any other non-US FTers experienced something similar? Is this temporary or permanent based on the email from AA referred to in this thread?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Often1
There should not be anybody in Pre who would not be eligible for a KTN unless something has happened between the time TSA selected them from the carrier's offering and now.
I thought British nationals living in the US on a Visa (not a green card) were not eligible for a KTN but were eligible for opt in via a frequent flyer program.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by ChrL
I thought British nationals living in the US on a Visa (not a green card) were not eligible for a KTN but were eligible for opt in via a frequent flyer program.
That is true, but it's not only restricted to British nationals (I don't think nationality restricts one from opting in via FFP).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
When did this happen? I thought UK citizens were discontinued from the list of GE approved nationals a couple of years back... Please share if otherwise!
I remember he did his interview in January 2014 and it took a while for him to find a suitable slot, so I'm guessing he applied sometime in mid 2013.

Originally Posted by baclubflyer
Also to add: am a UK citizen so not allowed to be enrolled into GE/NEXUS (at least so far as I am aware)
You may be right as of now, but it was certainly possible in past as per my story earlier in this thread.

I wonder if the ability for UK citizens to enroll in GE (when it existed) was restricted to those actually living in the UK (since it required a UK police report).

That is true, but it's not only restricted to British nationals (I don't think nationality restricts one from opting in via FFP).
The original TSA rules clearly stated that Precheck was restricted to US citizens. However, I don't think airlines necessarily had this information to pass on to the TSA.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:05 am

Just opted in via AA.com... Didn't realised it required affirmative action on our end. As a US CP, we were automatically signed up to TSA Pre. Lets see if it works!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Clueless people annoy me, too. But there are plenty without a KTN who have opted in to pre check since the start. Some of whom aren't eligible for a KTN.
The vast majority of those who are "randomly selected" for precheck appear clueless. I'm wondering if there is an algorithm that says this person is unlikely to be able to follow directions to get through airport security in an effecient manner, therefore they are unlikely to be able to actually be a threat. It's so odd that the TSA is eliminating this when the numbers there are randomly selected seem so high in a lot of places that they overwhelm those actually enrolled in the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.