Wiki Posts
Search

Ferry flight? 6:10pm LHR to DFW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Ferry flight? 6:10pm LHR to DFW

I see AA9785 in flightstats from LHR to DFW at 6.10pm today (April 4th 2015). Based on the flight number I'm guessing it is a ferry flight?

Is it common for AA to do such long distance ferry flights? Do they ever try to sell tickets on these flights? Timing looks great.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ChrL
I see AA9785 in flightstats from LHR to DFW at 6.10pm today (April 4th 2015). Based on the flight number I'm guessing it is a ferry flight?

Is it common for AA to do such long distance ferry flights? Do they ever try to sell tickets on these flights? Timing looks great.
Flightaware shows it as a 788 test flight.

Last edited by reeg2; Apr 4, 2015 at 7:59 am Reason: removed reference to other flights - they've flown to LHR on the 788 three times now
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE
It looks like there have been several of these 788 LHR-DFW flights over the past couple of weeks.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Curious how this works with slots? Is AA not using all of their valuable LHR slots?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by RxCapt
Curious how this works with slots? Is AA not using all of their valuable LHR slots?
I'm curious, too. I notice it is a late flight on the Saturday of a 4 day weekend. Maybe those slots are available (I note LHR is only 99% full).
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
To put things in perspective - the 787 (compared to the 777) has a total of 40% fuel savings on this particular route.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RxCapt
I'd doubt it has anything to do with AA's passenger slots as these are passenger-less flights. Perhaps it's treated just like general aviation where you pay for the handling and landing fees.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Are "slots" for flights or gates? I would imagine since this is a test flight, passenger flight rules would not apply.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by GullwingSL
It looks like there have been several of these 788 LHR-DFW flights over the past couple of weeks.
I am curious as to why they need to fly this plane around empty for so long, before putting it into revenue service. Especially on long flights like this.
If the pilots need to practice take-offs and landings, surely they can do this at DFW?
If the cabin crew need to be familiarised with the galleys and seats, surely they can do this on the ground at DFW?
It's an aeroplane, very similar to all the others they fly. Why do they need three+ months to learn how to fly it?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
Originally Posted by NDFan
I am curious as to why they need to fly this plane around empty for so long, before putting it into revenue service. Especially on long flights like this.
If the pilots need to practice take-offs and landings, surely they can do this at DFW?
If the cabin crew need to be familiarised with the galleys and seats, surely they can do this on the ground at DFW?
It's an aeroplane, very similar to all the others they fly. Why do they need three+ months to learn how to fly it?
I think it's more the case of getting familiar flying it long-distance, over areas with little/no radio communications, alternate airports etc....

Sure, you can fly for 10 hours over the USA, but, you might as well make it even more realistic and "challenging", flying where diversion airports are Less than or equal to 180Mins away, with no Air traffic centres to "report" to...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SpeedBird17Victor
I think it's more the case of getting familiar flying it long-distance, over areas with little/no radio communications, alternate airports etc....

Sure, you can fly for 10 hours over the USA, but, you might as well make it even more realistic and "challenging", flying where diversion airports are Less than or equal to 180Mins away, with no Air traffic centres to "report" to...
You have to imagine that there are a number of factors that go into determining the routing of these test flights that we can only guess at. There almost certainly are regulatory requirements to be complied with. Plus, if the 787 is ultimately going to be used to service LHR, you can imagine that AA wants the LHR ground crew and gate staff to have some familiarity with the aircraft.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:00 am

It's funny, I was going to post yesterday if anybody else saw the AA 787 at Heathrow yesterday. I did a double take when I saw it after landing from SFO on the new 380 flight (BA that is). Saw it again when waiting to take off on our next flight. I tried to snap a pic but wasn't really in a good location to get one. It was parked at a remote stand, 590 or 591 I believe.

Tim
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
To put things in perspective - the 787 (compared to the 777) has a total of 40% fuel savings on this particular route.
And the 788 also has no F cabin, just like the refurbished 772's.

[along with a smaller J cabin than the 77W]

Last edited by Max M; Apr 5, 2015 at 1:17 am
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
These are definitely the 787 flights, I saw on the tarmac at LHR recently and my crew yesterday was talking about it as a training/certification flight.

Last edited by bdemaria; Apr 5, 2015 at 5:15 am
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EP
These are ETOPS qualification flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.