Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airport Location Hours Amenities San Diego (SAN) San Diego International Ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts, with the original thread title. The current, active thread can be found here: SAN / San Diego Admirals Club (master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Airport Location Hours Amenities San Diego (SAN) San Diego International Ai

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
This is the never ending construction project. The other day I peered into the windows and saw nothing new. The staff laughed and said the project had stalled nearly a year ago. It definitely will NOT be done by the summer. Ironically, the renovation to the outside of the AIRPORT was done faster - and appears about ready to open.
The outside definitely looks good and seems that it is about to open.

I was at SAN three days ago and again bypassed the AC. It's strange... I visit it at pretty much every airport where it's available, but I'm never motivated to arrive early enough at my home airport to make it to the club. Hopefully the renovations are completed soon. I really want to change my mind.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
September

September is the current planned opening...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by metallo
The outside definitely looks good and seems that it is about to open.

I was at SAN three days ago and again bypassed the AC. It's strange... I visit it at pretty much every airport where it's available, but I'm never motivated to arrive early enough at my home airport to make it to the club. Hopefully the renovations are completed soon. I really want to change my mind.
Interesting that Airliners.net has an erroneous posting saying the Admirals Club is going away at SAN based on the minutes of an SAN board meeting in Feb 2012 and that AC members would have access to a generic club of some sort.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ain/5780449/1/

On good authority it seems that the situation has changed significantly since Feb 2012 and it will remain a full Admirals Club ^, and apparently will have a few new wrinkles intertwined. I'm also hearing DL is going to renovate or re-build its club there, but the source of that in is far less credible than the AA SAN info.

If I had a membership on airliners.net, I'd post in there and correct them...but I don't!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
New club coming this winter

It's now September and the sign in the club says the new club will be opening this winter.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck
It's now September and the sign in the club says the new club will be opening this winter.
Winter of 2015 that is. (Kidding). (I hope).
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck
There's winter in San Diego?

MO
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
If you have a DL, UA, or US club membership there's two brand new clubs down the hallway and up the escalator.

Not too far a walk from the AA gates in the original (old) pier of T2.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
**hearsay alert***

Barman (are we allowed to name names?) said he's been told November of this year. He also described the new offering as 10x the size.

Make of that what you will.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Arsey00
**hearsay alert***

Barman (are we allowed to name names?) said he's been told November of this year. He also described the new offering as 10x the size.

He should know. As it will be a communal, shared club, he'll likely have to re-badge over to a new company at the transition. He's a nice guy, and I hope he'll stick around. The AAngels will stay AA employees, thank goodness.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDallas
He should know. As it will be a communal, shared club, he'll likely have to re-badge over to a new company at the transition. He's a nice guy, and I hope he'll stick around. The AAngels will stay AA employees, thank goodness.
Then I'm sorry to disappoint you but the other news he shared last week was that he'll be leaving. Like so many bar staff, he's really an actor. But one with an actual acting job now. Get in there and congratulate him before he goes

And I do hope the AAngels stay. They are my very favourites in the whole system.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
**hearsay alert***

I'm confused... exactly where is this new, massive club being built?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:40 pm

According to the bAArman, it's the other side of the long, windowless wall that runs the length of the club.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by MachOne
There's winter in San Diego?
Oh, most definitely. Winter is when the weather is either cold and rainy or hot and dry, depending on which way the wind is blowing. Even when it is hot and dry, it drops suddenly to quite chilly at sundown. Lots of tourists get caught unawares whilst dining alfresco wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a tank/t. Winter is when we have to run the heat!

And I do hope the AAngels stay. They are my very favourites in the whole system.
Indeed they are excellent.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: IC-Royal Amb, Hilton Gold VIP AA PLT
Originally Posted by carlosdca
IC.
Well, I think it is a matter of personal opinion then.
I had never thought of many of the issues you mention (security around airport, air quality, horrible design) and they do not really affect me and I am not going to start thinking about them.

As for most of the other issues, like I said before, I DON'T HANG OUT at SAN, I'd rather be at home and head to the airport just in time to make it to the gate 10 mins before boarding time.

In any case, some of the issues above are not accurate or not worse than at any other airport in the US:
-Crowded gates?
Gate crowding at LAX is worse than at SAN (at least in the evening)
-Direct link from a highway?
Yeah, there is no dedicated road off the "5" to the airport but the ride from Sasaffras Exit to the curb is under 10 mins. Compare that for example to acces to IAH from the freeway, JFK from Manhattan, or LAX itself (a long ride from the 405 exit, and talk about traffic around the terminal)
-Prices from LAX cheaper? That used to be the case for some destinations. I have found, lately, that leaving from SAN costs exactly the same as leaving from LAX and in some cases, even cheaper. I was just looking at SAN-LAX-LIM ($574 one leg) and LAX-LIM ($574), same for tickets to Europe via London. AND my ticket to SYD/MEL was cheaper leaving from SAN than leaving from LAX. No benefit to leave from LAX, lately. OF course, YMMV and your dates/ travel patterns may yield cheaper flights from LAX (hope you factor in the cost of getting to LAX/parking, etc). But, in my case, SAN has been cheaper for the last couple of years.
-Is taking off and landing really that dangerous? IT would be interesting to see the statistics about accidents or nearly accidents in SAN compared to other airports in the US.
-Oh yeah, you forgot rail access...yeah...like almost all airports in the US (with the exception of a handful or airports including SFO, SEA, ORD and JFK)

But, again, you find SAN a joke, I respect that and I do see why some of the issues are a concern for you.

The solution to many of those problems would be to have a brand new airport somewhere in the boonies. Yeah the new airport will have beautiful architecture, high ceilings, lots of natural light, excellent HVAC, a mall and restaurant area including a Caviar/Champagne Bar, a dedicated elevated ramp to access it from the freeway, etc - but 1 hour+ away from my home (door to door).
When that new airport happens (we think it is never going to happen) I am going to miss good-old SAN airport near downtown
+1

Srpilo
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA silver
Any updates on the refurbished SAN Admirals club? Is it complete yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.