FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: GIG / Rio de Janeiro Admirals Club & oneworld Lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1665296-archive-gig-rio-de-janeiro-admirals-club-oneworld-lounges.html)

MeVoy Sep 13, 2009 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw (Post 12375906)
I'll be in GIG in December. I'll by flying US Airways and TAM which both depart from T2. Is there any way I can get to T1 to use AA's lounge? Any bridge or link? If so, does AA sell day passes at that location?

Also, do you know of any other lounges in T2? Does TAM operate one? Any ones that sell day passes?

-Kinglobjaw

There is a connector between Terminals 1 and 2, but I'm not quite sure how you could access the AA lounge since the airline lounges are after security, and the terminals are two entirely separate buildings. The Varig/United lounge is in Terminal 2 (after security as well), but I do not know the United and US Air arrangement for use of the lounge. You could perhaps check with US Air to see if you qualify to use the Varig/United lounge?

ajnaro Sep 14, 2009 9:06 am

Lounges at Galećo

(1) You cannot get access to the AA lounge in T1 because it is after customs. They wouldn't let you in unless you have a same-day oneworld flight.

(2) VARIG/GOL has pulled out of T2. GOL now has a frequent flyer alliance with AA, but lounge access is explicitly excluded.

(3) TAM is still in T2 and will soon be taking VARIG's place in Star Alliance.

(4) There is a Diners Club lounge in the arrivals area of T1. It has a few sofas and chairs, but not much of anything else. No refreshments except coffee and water.

MeVoy Sep 14, 2009 1:26 pm

ajnaro:

Does that mean that the Varig lounge in T2 is no longer in use? Is there another lounge that United uses now? Tks.

ajnaro Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MeVoy (Post 12379059)
ajnaro:

Does that mean that the Varig lounge in T2 is no longer in use? Is there another lounge that United uses now? Tks.

Sorry, but I don't really know (because I normally use AA or BA, both in T1, for international flights)

jfkeze Sep 28, 2009 6:05 am

still no showers at GIG...

I just flew in from Rio (using the 290 tickets)... GIG still has no working showers, the front desk at GIG are very unfriendly and to top it off the club door is closed and is semi hidden... It's really a crappy place, better to wait and go into the lounge at GRU...
GRU showers are working OK, I went at 8.30 PM (Sunday night) no line for the shower even if it was in the middle of rush hour ;)
staff at GRU is 1000x nicer than the GIG staff :D

flipside Sep 28, 2009 10:12 am

You must have been there on an off day. I've always found the agents at the GIG AC pretty nice.

I've never though the club was hidden though. It where it's always been, just past the duty free upstairs with the rest of the clubs. Free wi-fi, and the snack selection has improved over the last few months as well.

I'll be returning from JFK-GIG $300 fare number 6 tomorrow. :)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Sep 28, 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by flipside (Post 12450035)
You must have been there on an off day. I've always found the agents at the GIG AC pretty nice.

I've never though the club was hidden though. It where it's always been, just past the duty free upstairs with the rest of the clubs. Free wi-fi, and the snack selection has improved over the last few months as well.

I'll be returning from JFK-GIG $300 fare number 6 tomorrow. :)

The food at GIG is quite pathetic. At least have some fruit or sandwiches. But I would agree with JFKEZE that finding the club if you don't know where it is can be a challenge.

vrbaba Sep 28, 2009 12:59 pm

What are the timings? Have they changed the 8:30pm closing from 2 years ago (from the initial few posts here) since flights to MIA are after 10pm?

flipside Sep 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 12450253)
The food at GIG is quite pathetic. At least have some fruit or sandwiches. But I would agree with JFKEZE that finding the club if you don't know where it is can be a challenge.

I was there last night. The selection keeps getting better. They had sandwiches, hot soup, cheese, olives, nuts, cheese bread (pćo de queijo), crackers, all kinds of stuff. There was even more food at GRU.

Spoke to the ladies at the front desk (which incidentally moved back in front of the door from being around the corner 2 weeks ago) and they said the showers should be ready in 2 weeks. So after the conversion to Brazilian time, they should open in about 2 months. :D

I'll be back for $300 fare #7 next week :D

ijgordon Sep 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vrbaba (Post 12450950)
What are the timings? Have they changed the 8:30pm closing from 2 years ago (from the initial few posts here) since flights to MIA are after 10pm?

I can assure you that the club will not close until the last flight departs. (That said, the current GIG-MIA flight depats at 8:15pm).

Carioca Sep 30, 2009 3:07 pm

There are other clubs which are a lot harder to find (ex: MEX) than GIG, and also worst staff (ex: MIA). The ladies there I have found to be very nice.
The thing that I like the most about GIG, is the fact that it's never crowded.
Go Rio 2016!!

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 5, 2009 4:46 pm

Showers are reopen at GIG.^ I was first the first one in the reopened showers tonight. Not much difference to me than before but very glad to have them back.

By the way, GIG staff was very friendly and accomodating tonight.:p

Blumie Oct 6, 2009 8:48 am

I used the GIG lounge last month and was quite pleased. It was spacious, uncrowded, and had a decent (not great, not as good as at GRU, but decent) food selection. I had no difficulty finding it at all and the staff was pleasant. No complaints here.

vrbaba Oct 6, 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 12463701)
I can assure you that the club will not close until the last flight departs. (That said, the current GIG-MIA flight depats at 8:15pm).

Thats what I figured. It would not make sense as there are two flights (GIG-MIA) scheduled for Dec at 10:10p and 11:35p.

NYC1K Oct 6, 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras (Post 8296564)
> The Rio (GIG) Admirals Club is open daily from 11:00am until 8:30pm, local time.

That's inconvenient. My flight to Miami departs at 11:55 PM. I'd been planning to arrive early and relax. And my arrival is 9:30 AM from Miami, so that isn't the route this Club is serving.

Sylvia

100% of all AA flights out of GIG leave before 10:00pm. I'm curious as to which flight you are refaring to that leaves at 11:55PM.