FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Benefit of checking in at home [OLCI] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1664163-benefit-checking-home-olci.html)

Audie Mar 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Benefit of checking in at home [OLCI]

Back in the old days :) the rule was to check in at 24 hrs to insure confirmation. Then it was thought if elite you had a better chance for an up grade. What is the purpose of home check in if you are checking baggage and have to check in at the airport? Really none...correct? Not that it probably matters but this is my first AA flight in 20+ years as I was a loyal Delta traveler and elite with them. With the new requirements the leisure traveler has no chance at status at least I don't.

ESpen36 Mar 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12D508 Safari/600.1.4)

Standby priority (within status levels) is still determined by check-in time. There also are anecdotal reports that check-in time still matters for clearing battlefield eVIPs and mileage upgrades at the gate when departing FROM overseas stations back to the U.S. hubs.

billgrates3 Mar 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Audie (Post 24523518)
Back in the old days :) the rule was to check in at 24 hrs to insure confirmation. Then it was thought if elite you had a better chance for an up grade. What is the purpose of home check in if you are checking baggage and have to check in at the airport? Really none...correct? Not that it probably matters but this is my first AA flight in 20+ years as I was a loyal Delta traveler and elite with them. With the new requirements the leisure traveler has no chance at status at least I don't.

I usually checkin online in case of delays getting to the airport. If I'm late for unanticipated reasons, I can go straight to security and the gate. With TSApre that means just a few mins to the gate from arrival at the airport.

Clearly, this only works if you don't check any bags.

ESpen36 Mar 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12D508 Safari/600.1.4)

Yes, I forgot to mention about checked bags. I haven't checked a bag in over 10 years. If it doesn't fit in the rollaboard, it doesn't go!

carlosdca Mar 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Audie (Post 24523518)

For most situations, it does not really matter.

If there was a dedicated line for pax WITH BP that only want to check bags (and already paid for), and then another line for those that still need to get a BP or pay for their bags, then it would make a difference and ideally the line for those WITH BP and paid baggage would move much faster.

I am not sure if that exists at any airport; last time I checked a bag in SAN, there was only one line, so it really did not matter that I already had a BP.

SAN-man Mar 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Last year AA pushed the cutoff times further in advance for when you could check in at the kiosk, and I got burned once leaving DFW to come back home. I was made to take a later flight because I was trying to check in less than an hour before the flight. Now I always check in online or via the app. Also helps to know in advance if I'll have pre-check, so that I can continue to show up much closer to flight time.

upinsmoke Mar 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Since OP doesn't seem to have status, I believe boarding group number is based on checkin time.

swag Mar 18, 2015 6:07 am

Until a couple of years ago, once you checked in, you couldn't change seats (even if your upgrade then cleared). But now that this is fixed, even though the advantages may be minimal, there really isn't any reason not to check in online or with the app.

Segments Mar 18, 2015 6:22 am

Benefit of checking in at home [OLCI]

Cheaper checked bag fees? US used to offer a discount if you paid for bags during OLCI.

flyalways Mar 18, 2015 6:43 am

Seat is protected..

One advantage is that your seat is protected from being sold off..If you are checked in the airline can not really bump you in oversold situation..On United
I think they ask for VDB volunteers at OLCI so if you are flexible you may get ahead in the queue to be selected...

F.A.

nrr Mar 18, 2015 7:37 am

A few months ago I was departing from LAS, there were so many people checking in, that getting to an AA kiosk was difficult--so, having checked in at home would have been advantageous.
LAS also has "generic" kiosks, which can be used for most airlines (not useful if you are checking luggage).

wrp96 Mar 18, 2015 8:24 am

I don't know AA's IDB bumping schedule so can't say if this is true for AA, but on many airlines, in the rare case they have to IDB someone, the order starts with the last person to check in. So if you do OLCI, you are at least ahead of all the people checking in at the airport.

MSPeconomist Mar 18, 2015 9:01 am

If you've done OLCI and printed/kept a boarding pass, this is proof that you were confirmed on the flight and did check in on time in case you ever experience an IDB situation where the airline resists paying the required compensation.

Audie Mar 18, 2015 9:45 am

I am checking in at a very small airport so getting to a kiosk should be okay. Can I check in at home and print my boarding passes at the airport? This worked well on the Delta site but don't know how AA works. I do have to pay for luggage for the first time in lots of years so does anyone know if there is a discount in home check in?

wrp96 Mar 18, 2015 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Audie (Post 24526559)
I am checking in at a very small airport so getting to a kiosk should be okay. Can I check in at home and print my boarding passes at the airport? This worked well on the Delta site but don't know how AA works. I do have to pay for luggage for the first time in lots of years so does anyone know if there is a discount in home check in?

Yes you can reprint your boarding passes at the airport if you check-in online.

No, there is no discount on luggage if you do OLCI. Baggage fees have to be paid at the airport anyways.