Minimum Connection Time Blues

Old Mar 12, 15, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Minimum Connection Time Blues

After a series of schedule changes, our April 9 layover in LAX on a BRU-LHR-LAX-RNO itinerary has gone from 95 minutes to 6 hours 20 minutes. Not looking forward to it after a long day with an 11-year-old.

Now, instead of being 5 minutes over the minimum connection time, were six minutes short for the earlier flight to RNO that we were originally booked on.

Is it worth trying to get an exception?

If an exception is allowed, even a minor delay will cause us to miss the earlier flight and the later flight might be full.

Although stranger things have happened, the difference in the risk of missing the connection with 84 minutes versus 95 minutes may not be significant. With Global Entry, we have made it in well under 90 minutes more often than not.

We can, of course, hustle over to the Eagles Nest and hope standby seats are available. Or, on April 9 LHR time, could I ask an AC angel to put us on the same-day standby list and get a better priority for the earlier flight?

Try to reroute? SWUs already confirmed on AA 109 LHR-LAX.

Your advice appreciated.

Ferris
Old Mar 12, 15, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Have you considered paying for a flight to RNO from LAX?
I doubt an agent is going to waive MCT. There is a reason for MCT.
You mentioned getting put on the standby list at LHR.
The odds are better than not asking. I assume you mean an earlier LHR-LAX flight. There is also same day flight change, which could be used to change the flights.
Old Mar 12, 15, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Have you considered paying for a flight to RNO from LAX?
I doubt an agent is going to waive MCT. There is a reason for MCT.
You mentioned getting put on the standby list at LHR.
The odds are better than not asking. I assume you mean an earlier LHR-LAX flight. There is also same day flight change, which could be used to change the flights. Of course they aren't going to let you bypass the MCT for a connection.
Old Mar 12, 15, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think standing by for the earlier RNO flight is the way to go. Should be able to easily make it if your flight from LHR is on time or early.
Old Mar 12, 15, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
If you haven't already accepted the routing, I'd call for other routing options (e.g. through ORD or DFW). I'd suggest finding the exact flights you want and calling up to ask them if you can switch due to the schedule change (preserving your cabin of service of course).

I recently had a schedule change from CDG on a J award that resulted in a connection that left before arrival of the previous flight. I asked if I could just switch to the non-stop in J and was granted that requested (even though J MilesAAver was not showing for the non-stop).
Old Mar 12, 15, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The old days when agents could waive MCT are long gone. They used to waive it and write "pax warned MCT" on your flight coupon (remember those) and it was your tough luck if you misconnected.

Rather than mucking with this, I would see if the earlier flight is available when you get to LAX. If it is, it should be an easy SDC. Easier if no bags.
Old Mar 12, 15, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I seem to recall that my travel agent can override MCT for me.

However I wouldnt in this case. The routing LHR-LAX in the 77W in biz is nice. As mentioned above I would standby for the earlier.

or

FYI, SMF is ~2 hours down the hill.... depending on what you are doing in RNO and the connections from LAX-SMF. One way car rental might be better than 6+ hrs at lax. Although fully appreciate a 2 hr drive is not what you want at the end of that day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: