Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class catering [rant]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Business class catering [rant]

Last time I flew east-bound business class, the appetizer consisted of beetroot carpaccio. Now, the cheese plate has moved to the appetizer position. And the Lustau fino sherry has moved to the dessert wines. Watch out for them moving the ice cream to start with, and the salad for desert. Oh, and the mains are down to three positively dreary choices.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Last time I flew east-bound business class, the appetizer consisted of beetroot carpaccio. Now, the cheese plate has moved to the appetizer position. And the Lustau fino sherry has moved to the dessert wines. Watch out for them moving the ice cream to start with, and the salad for desert. Oh, and the mains are down to three positively dreary choices.
They once removed an olive to save on gas. Can't remember who the AA CEO was at the time, though.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
What was the routing? There should definitely be 4 main choices in intercontinental J. Whether or not they're good is another story entirely, but there should be at a minimum four inedible inedible main options in J these days.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by cmd320
What was the routing? There should definitely be 4 main choices in intercontinental J. Whether or not they're good is another story entirely, but there should be at a minimum four inedible inedible main options in J these days.
Exactly. This is JFK-LHR. Either beef filet with macaroni cheese, almond crusted chicken with butter sauce, or stuffed portobello mushroom.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Exactly. This is JFK-LHR. Either beef filet with macaroni cheese, almond crusted chicken with butter sauce, or stuffed portobello mushroom.
wow. same as most transcons. beef, chicken, and vegetarian options though.

I find it best to pre-order special meals. Many times they are better than what you find on the regular menu. Especially GF breakfast!

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:02 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
They once removed an olive to save on gas. Can't remember who the AA CEO was at the time, though.
Crandall and it was downhill after that.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Wow. Pretty ridiculous that we're now down to three options on what is basically the most important intercon (and route in general) in the network. Were they still pouring Gosset or has UK now been 'enhanced' down to Dangin like the rest of the intercon network? Further reinforces my practice of no longer using AA for intercon flights.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 11, 2015 at 5:41 am
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
And the Lustau fino sherry has moved to the dessert wines.
I've never (until 10 days ago) had a problem having the sherry served as an aperitif (which a fino is meant to be), but on LHR-LAX the flight attendant told me it simply wasn't possible to have the sherry until dessert was served! And to make matters worse, he never came back an offered it me for dessert anyway - not that I'd have wanted it then
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
The most egregious of the recent changes though is the removal of the made to order sundae on east bound flights!

They have added a 3rd option to the desert selection alongside the concrete ice-cream and the cheese plate, but it seems to be in very limited quantities so get in early if you want it.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I use to look foward to some degree the meal on international business/first.. these days I just dont care.. pre-reserved the Portabella for this friday MIA-LHR... honestly not expecting much, and will probably be asleep anyway by the time they come around
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
An off-topic and non-contributive rant was removed, as well as replies thereto removed or redacted.

Keep it on topic folks.

Thread title has been updated as well.

~Moderator
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:14 am

Just flew JFK-LHR in biz last week.. What an absolute embarrassment.. CHeese for the appetizer? What happened to the smoked salmon on blinis for appetizer in biz class. Also dinner is now serves as a ONE tray deal.. It was a shambles...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:01 am

I just flew LAX - LHR, and I had the sherry as an aperitif, but the (not so happy) FA had to go back to get it for me. I also had the almond-crusted chicken with lemon rice, and was quite happy with it. Anyone who is complaining about the J food on AA should avoid BA J like the plague - it's really quite awful.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Several weeks ago I was in BC, jfk-zrh. There were only TWO main courses listed (on aa.com for pre-reserving), neither which I liked. On the plane the menu listed 4, and since I like poultry, all I could choose was a TURKEY CUTLET, "cafeteria" style food IMHO.
On another flt. (also jfk-zrh, BC), I wanted PORT WINE (which was listed on the menu) to accompany my desert--they didn't have any.
I got upgraded using SWUs; I assume someone actually pays $6000 for BC, from my food experience (and that of others in this thread), they would go to some other (foreign(?)) carrier for future flts.
PS: A long time ago, I flew a few flts. on Air France, between JFK and CDG, from my recollection, their Y food was better than what AA offers in BC.

Last edited by nrr; Mar 11, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I had the same offering recently but can't remember the flight. It must be a Phoenix/Tempe thing to match macaroni and cheese with the beef filet instead of the smashed potatos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.