Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Lost My Upgrade and Confirmed Seat 25' prior to delayed departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:23 am

We're getting slightly OT here but a few weeks ago I was at the gate at ORD waiting for my ORD-MCI flight and when I tried to take a picture of the screen behind the agent showing the departure/boarding time, the agent told me:

"SIR, DELETE THAT PICTURE IMMEDIATELY!" Super uncomfortable in front of a packed gate.

Went as far as threatening to call security if I even took a picture of the Departures screen outside of the gate area. It's silly.

Last edited by Viajero Millero; Mar 12, 2015 at 11:38 am Reason: SP
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I'm paranoid now; if AC clears my upgrades I ALWAYS let the agent working the flight at the gate KNOW this happened. Most will say "thanks for letting me know", once or twice they called the AC to ask why they did it but held it anyway and a few times the agent has mentioned "I sync closely with the AC to know if they clear passengers".

There is a big problem on upgrade clearing on AA when on the standby list and NOT clearing if name is/isn't called even if the mobile app shows you cleared and you refresh the agent may take it away if they know they didn't process it.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
lapel cameras

Lapel and other micro-mini cameras now exist, they can take all sorts of pictures, WITHOUT anyone knowing you were using one.
At the other extreme, a telephoto (zoom) lens can photograph from far enough away--there would be NO way of knowing what you photographed.
[Side comment, some really super teles, can photograph blocks away and retain high resolution--not too useful in an airport...]
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Disarray
American is trying its best to push me to Delta and it is about to work.
Sorry, been there, done that. Switching back to AA.

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

I am not sure they can enforce it in the (public) terminals....
This. They can state whatever rules they want. Whether they can legally enforce them is another thing. IANAL, although I play one on FT.

Mike
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

Id love to be the test case for this if an agent was breaking the rules.....
I wouldn't.

Courtroom = ZzzzzZZzzzzZZzzzzZzzzzzzzzz
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Actually come to think about it 2 years ago at DFW the AC cleared my upgrade DFW - SFO... when I arrived at the gate the agent told me her supervisor canceled my upgrade, I was in coach in a middle seat. If I had a problem with that she would page the supervisor to speak to me.

I asked her to page the supervisor. The supervisor told me I was bumped for a passenger who paid for the cabin, if I wanted an upgrade I could take a later flight DFW - LAX - SFO... ok that's fine with me, happily I went back to the AC to hang for another hour. It turns out my original flight DFW - SFO was delayed and ended up being canceled...

I think someone up above was looking out for me.^^^

But from there forward If my upgrade has not been cleared by the time I arrive at the airport I go to the gate and wait. I don't trust A/C upgrades.

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I'm paranoid now; if AC clears my upgrades I ALWAYS let the agent working the flight at the gate KNOW this happened. Most will say "thanks for letting me know", once or twice they called the AC to ask why they did it but held it anyway and a few times the agent has mentioned "I sync closely with the AC to know if they clear passengers".

There is a big problem on upgrade clearing on AA when on the standby list and NOT clearing if name is/isn't called even if the mobile app shows you cleared and you refresh the agent may take it away if they know they didn't process it.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Actually come to think about it 2 years ago at DFW the AC cleared my upgrade DFW - SFO... when I arrived at the gate the agent told me her supervisor canceled my upgrade, I was in coach in a middle seat. If I had a problem with that she would page the supervisor to speak to me.

I asked her to page the supervisor. The supervisor told me I was bumped for a passenger who paid for the cabin, if I wanted an upgrade I could take a later flight DFW - LAX - SFO... ok that's fine with me, happily I went back to the AC to hang for another hour. It turns out my original flight DFW - SFO was delayed and ended up being canceled...

I think someone up above was looking out for me.^^^

But from there forward If my upgrade has not been cleared by the time I arrive at the airport I go to the gate and wait. I don't trust A/C upgrades.
I've had AC do the upgrade only if they call the GA and let them know/ask if its ok first. Worked in every case for me. The GAs stress out and do not want anyone to move their cheese. Seriously though, it's a tough job I wouldn't want!

I've also called the EXP desk many times while taxiing in from a flight to call and let my connection gate GA know I am running if its a tight connection... Communication with the GA is key.

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Mar 12, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvedda
I've had AC do the upgrade only if they call the GA and let them know/ask if its ok first.
Even if there's a check mark by your name?

That's where I'm getting hung up. If there's a check mark while under GA control, they did that. They ok'ed me for the upgrade. They assigned me a seat in first and took away my old seat in coach. Here's what the website says:

"If your upgrade is not confirmed as of check-in time, we will automatically add you to the airport upgrade standby list. If you are upgrading using your miles or a systemwide upgrade, you must have the sufficient balance available in your account at least 48 hours prior to departure to be moved to the airport standby list. If you are using 500-mile upgrades, you may purchase the required number of upgrades at check-in. Once at the airport, you can view the airport upgrade list on the American mobile app, as early as four hours before departure, or on the Gate Information Display close to departure time. As upgrade requests are confirmed, a checkmark will appear next to each name. Once your upgrade has cleared, the mobile app and Passbook will automatically update your mobile boarding pass."

Where does it say I must talk to the Gate Agent?

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Mar 12, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Even if there's a check mark by your name?

That's where I'm getting hung up. If there's a check mark while under GA control, they did that. They ok'ed me for the upgrade. They assigned me a seat in first and took away my old seat in coach. Here's what the website says:

"If your upgrade is not confirmed as of check-in time, we will automatically add you to the airport upgrade standby list. If you are upgrading using your miles or a systemwide upgrade, you must have the sufficient balance available in your account at least 48 hours prior to departure to be moved to the airport standby list. If you are using 500-mile upgrades, you may purchase the required number of upgrades at check-in. Once at the airport, you can view the airport upgrade list on the American mobile app, as early as four hours before departure, or on the Gate Information Display close to departure time. As upgrade requests are confirmed, a checkmark will appear next to each name. Once your upgrade has cleared, the mobile app and Passbook will automatically update your mobile boarding pass."

Where does it say I must talk to the Gate Agent?
Well if there is a check mark by your name and you haven't picked up a new card or let the GA know you're set (re-check at gate), then you are at your own risk of losing the seat in my opinion. Need to close the loop on the process.

I doubt it's written anywhere, but common practice from my experience.

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Mar 12, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
We're getting slightly OT here but a few weeks ago I was at the gate at ORD waiting for my ORD-MCI flight and when I tried to take a picture of the screen behind the agent showing the departure/boarding time, the agent told me:

"SIR, DELETE THAT PICTURE IMMEDIATELY!" Super uncomfortable in front of a packed gate.

Went as far as threatening to call security if I even took a picture of the Departures screen outside of the gate area. It's silly.
Yeah, right. I'd love for them to try that with me. Granted, I'm a litigator and almost always have extra time when I travel. that said, however, I'd be inclined to let them try to arrest me. Police can't arrest unless a crime has been committed (without exposing themselves to liability for false arrest, etc.). Arrested for taking a photo in a public place of a non-security (TSA) related scene? I think not.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Well if there is a check mark by your name and you haven't picked up a new card or let the GA know you're set (re-check at gate), then you are at your own risk of losing the seat in my opinion. Need to close the loop on the process.

Cheers.
If you are supposed to recheck with the GA then the website and other instructions should explicitly tell you that. If I have a mobile BP, and it gets updated automatically, why would I think to pick up a "new card" if I never had an old card?

I don't disagree that it's common practice - this thread illustrates that (thanks!). But nobody should be surprised that many people don't anticipate the need to check with the GA!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond

Cheers.
It is common practice because we can't trust them
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yeah, right. I'd love for them to try that with me. Granted, I'm a litigator and almost always have extra time when I travel. that said, however, I'd be inclined to let them try to arrest me. Police can't arrest unless a crime has been committed (without exposing themselves to liability for false arrest, etc.). Arrested for taking a photo in a public place of a non-security (TSA) related scene? I think not.
Glad I have someone to call when I end up getting arrested at Logan!

Mike
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mikeef
Glad I have someone to call when I end up getting arrested at Logan!

Mike
I'll be there for you, Mike!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.