Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Lost My Upgrade and Confirmed Seat 25' prior to delayed departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost My Upgrade and Confirmed Seat 25' prior to delayed departure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Yea, it seems there's something up in the air these days. My data point: Mrs. Pickles and I flew DFW-BOS yesterday. We both had paid A-fare tickets, mine (EXP) confirmed at booking, hers (PLT) got waitlisted. Came in from our connecting flight, with a 3 hour layover in DFW. Went to the AC to kill time, where her position on the waitlist was re-confirmed as #1.

Head to the gate, arrive at T-30, and pretty much the whole plane had boarded already, and as we were arriving Mrs. Pickles was paged, and it was clear that from the page that this was a second (or maybe third) page. Picked up her upgrade, and you should have seen the faces of other people hanging around the GA area, as it was clear everybody was waiting for her to be a no-show so she'd be skipped...

Once on board, somebody was brought up from the back to an empty seat in F, so in the end it seems there was yet another empty seat in F for a lucky winner.

The point is, of course, if boarding is at T-30, shouldn't AA at least wait for T-30 before giving stuff away from people who are not doing anything "wrong", like show up at the gate 10 minutes before departure, or something of the sort?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:47 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Last week on Dfw-Mia we walked up to the gate at T35 to here last call for the flight. I was kind of shocked as the boarding pass said boarding at T30
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikew99
The problem is that, IME, it's impossible to know when boarding begins unless you are already at the gate! This is difficult when flights are on time and nearly impossible when flights are delayed.

Yes, there is a boarding time printed on the bp. I try to schedule my arrival at the gate for that time, but there is an 80% chance that either (1) everyone is still standing around waiting for boarding to begin, which might or might not happen for another 5, 10, or 15+ minutes; or (2) the gate area is nearly empty and the GA are already inviting Boarding Group 3 to board.
During a delay or IRROPS, I try to ascertain the status for my flight. If it is inbound equipment, I tend to check in with the gate when the inbound aircraft arrives. That way, if I need to stick around I do, and if I may return to the club, I do.

The GAs are harried and their primary objective is to dispatch flights as quickly as possible when all the pieces are in place. As someone upthread noted, this situation was not just about an upgrade; the OP was completely offloaded. Technically, this was not contrary to policy, as on delayed flights all passengers must be at gate from T-15 _of the original flight time_

I like to spend time in the AC, but on a domestic delay, I keep within earshot of the gate once the plane is there. On international delayed flights, the AC staff will usually alert the club when boarding begins. It's also always a good idea to let the club desk know when you are on a delayed flight. For these JFK-LAX transcons, the club will also sometimes make announcements. They certainly will call the gate to announce a passenger en route close to boarding time.

Originally Posted by abk
Last week on Dfw-Mia we walked up to the gate at T35 to hear last call for the flight. I was kind of shocked as the boarding pass said boarding at T30
This is a separate problem, mentioned in several posts upthread. Probably deserves its own thread.

I've experienced this lately also: DFW-PBI and ORD-BOS both in 2015. On a non-delayed flight where I have a longtime confirmed seat in First, I usually pull up to the gate at T-32 or T-33 (departing the club at T-35). In both of these cases, the flight was nearly fully boarded -- really just sending pax down the jetway, and the GA was beginning closing announcements.

I can live with early (T-45 or T-40) boarding, as long as AA implements it _consistently_ and _publicly_

If GAs start making up their own rules, especially if they offload pax before T-15, then we have a problem.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 7, 2015 at 9:59 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
And there is the problem. AA requires (not recommends) that pax be at the gate by T-15 from scheduled departure. That does not change because the flight is delayed. What OP states is T-25 is actually T+95. The agent had not only downgraded OP, but off-loaded as well and, but for the vacant seat, OP would have been SOL.

This would also account for the unapologetic GA who likely figured that he was doing OP a solid.
You can't be serious? If your flight is delayed 4 hours you would just sit there at the gate rather than the AC because you believe AA can give away your seat at any point once T-15 the original departure time has passed?

Originally Posted by abk
Last week on Dfw-Mia we walked up to the gate at T35 to here last call for the flight. I was kind of shocked as the boarding pass said boarding at T30
I had this too a few weeks ago MIA-ORD. Final call for all passengers at T-45. We were shocked as were many other passengers.

The kicker - after the scramble, the flight pushed back an hour late due to a broken seat in Y (don't get me started on the fact that the aircraft arrived at MIA 12 hours prior to our flight so would have had plenty of time to fix it).

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 7, 2015 at 10:00 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Often1
And there is the problem. AA requires (not recommends) that pax be at the gate by T-15 from scheduled departure. That does not change because the flight is delayed. What OP states is T-25 is actually T+95. The agent had not only downgraded OP, but off-loaded as well and, but for the vacant seat, OP would have been SOL.
Originally Posted by jordyn
That's absurd. With a two hour delay posted in advance, there won't even be a GA until T+60.
It depends on the type of delay. Some delays (e.g., late incoming flight) can cause the flight to be rescheduled. In those cases jordyn would be correct, because the GA would show up at T-60 from the new scheduled time and the passenger needs to be at the gate at T-15 from the new scheduled time. However, for some delays (in particular circumstances that lead to rolling delays) the flight is not rescheduled and so a GA will be there T-60 from the original scheduled time and remain there until the flight departs, is rescheduled, or is cancelled. For those types of delays, Often1 is correct because the passenger should technically be at the gate at T-15 from the original scheduled time, because there is not a rescheduled time, but a delayed time.

...and just to add, it's not always transparent whether a flight is rescheduled or delayed from the original scheduled time. Therefore, the PAX may not know which of the scenarios apply. Often1's suggestion of going to the gate and asking the GA, if present, whether you can leave or not is sound advice.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 7, 2015 at 10:00 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beerup
...and just to add, it's not always transparent whether a flight is rescheduled or delayed from the original scheduled time. Therefore, the PAX may not know which of the scenarios apply. Often1's suggestion of going to the gate and asking the GA, if present, whether you can leave or not is sound advice.
IME asking the GA whether you can go to the lounge to wait always results in a NO answer, even when there is absolutely no way that the flight can leave in the next hour.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME asking the GA whether you can go to the lounge to wait always results in a NO answer, even when there is absolutely no way that the flight can leave in the next hour.
Not "always" in my experience, but point taken!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
Does anyone really trust the electronic BP''s? I can't tell you the number of times that the app will revert my upgraded BP to my old one. Or, when I get to the gate, the app can't produce the BP at all. Also, it seems from this thread, that even a paper BP isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

I have had a lot of bugs/problems with the electronic BP's and, while I use them, I often get a paper one printed as they are less of a hassle. If I REALLY NEEDED to rely on a electronic, I would screenshot it. That said, if I had received a BP and not had it honored when I was at the gate ontime, I would have blown a gasket.
Once you download the BP you don't need to use the app, you can turn off data and wifi and it will still be there. Once you've done that, it should be the same as having a paper one, not something that can be reclaimed.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Did you download your new boarding pass and save to passbook?
And if you are really paranoid, take a screen capture of the boarding pass so they cannot change it...ive had BPs change in the app.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. This sounds to me like Shenanigans, pure and simple.
I love that term here...gives me a chuckle

Originally Posted by nrr
From OP's post #1, once one arrives at the gate, they have to "get permission from the GA" when they go to the toilet--sort of like students in school do.
Gate agents seem to despise passengers hanging around the gate, repeatedly asking about status, position, clearing, etc.

AA should recognize that scrupulously following rules, including upgrade processing and time cut offs will allow the public to rely on them and not feel compelled to ask every 10 minutes.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Did you download your new boarding pass and save to passbook?
I went through my phone and I actually do have a screenshot of the BP.

Confirmed in F, seat 6F. With the time on my phone showing 9:45am. Boarding scheduled for 10:00am and departure at 10:30am.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
"I had a flight from JFK to LAX today. I arrived at AC around T-45 and found out that my upgrade has been cleared. The agent printed me the new boarding pass showing Business class cabin – everything seemed to be good so far. I then went to the restroom and changed for more comfortable clothes for the 6-hour flight. When I arrived at the departure gate at T-25, the GA told me that I lost my upgrade and confirmed seat"

Had the same thing happen JFK/LAX in January. Only difference was it cost me a SWU.

American is trying its best to push me to Delta and it is about to work.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
People do need to complain about loss of upgrades that have previously been confirmed.

There is no point in AA implementing all the features in the App like the upgrade list and the mobile boarding pass if the GA just decides to revoke them based on undocumented, arbitrary and unnecessary time limits of their own invention ...
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
And a bit off but.....

I'll ask the GA if Biz or First has boarded full (if I'm first on the UG list so I know if I should board )

And the response has been a few times "biz/ first has boarded full " and then I get on and half the seats are empty???

Boarded and checked in are two very different things

This is their job- finish the task
If you went to work and only did part of what was expected of you how long would you continue to have a job?
But I have encountered many more fantastic AA employees than the ones not following thru.

Lucky for me many of my UG have cleared ahead of time.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
Well word to the wise.... it seems they are boarding these flights earlier these days. I know I had seen a message a week or two ago.... the door may close 10 minutes before departure and to be sure to be at the gate no later than 20 minutes before departure or you may loose your seat. This was at LAX.... LAX - JFK.

Welcome to the new USAir... I mean American.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
I went through my phone and I actually do have a screenshot of the BP.

Confirmed in F, seat 6F. With the time on my phone showing 9:45am. Boarding scheduled for 10:00am and departure at 10:30am.
Send it to aa customer service. There is no point in having the app if it is not a valid method of retrieving a new boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.