Wiki Posts
Search

2016 European Vacation for 6

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FTwatcher
What's your experience with First/Business Class for IB?
No First, full lie flat beds in Business; decent food, Spanish wines, comfortable aircraft. I've been flying them for decades, and IMO they've improved.

In Business they have great lounges; on your return drop by Madrid's Dalí lounge, munch, visit the wines tasting area...

Now that you're here, be sure to check the thread I mentioned - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html. We can even merge this into that thread.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
No First, full lie flat beds in Business; decent food, Spanish wines, comfortable aircraft. I've been flying them for decades, and IMO they've improved.

In Business they have great lounges; on your return drop by Madrid's Dalí lounge, munch, visit the wines tasting area...

Now that you're here, be sure to check the thread I mentioned - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html. We can even merge this into that thread.
That might not be a bad idea. It's a good way to maximize the trip and sample the (airport) food in Spain.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Should I book myself in First/Business and associate another pax to my PNR, in the hopes of getting them upgraded without using a SWU? Or should I book myself in Economy and hope to get upgraded to Business?

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Would I be able to get EXP upgrades and use SWU on non-AA metal? I thought it was only applicable if it's on AA and not the partner airlines.
Close to correct: SWUs will be redeemable on US air flights later this year. You cant use them on partner airlines.

I fly regularly to/from Italy on AA/OW. When you say you want to go to Rome, if you are considering a direct flight from the states then the chances of 4 SWUs clearing is virtually non-existent. IMO, the only way that many upgrades will clear is via LHR.

Finally, you mention
Also, I was thinking of not using the First Class ticket award on myself and hope that my EXP can get me upgraded to Business or First class. Is that an unrealistic expectation for a possible upgrade, even as an EXP
Are you hoping to bumped to J or F on an int'l flight up w/o any instrument (SWUs, etc..)? If so, don't count on it.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should I book myself in First/Business and associate another pax to my PNR, in the hopes of getting them upgraded without using a SWU?
That's not going to happen
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Should I book myself in First/Business and associate another pax to my PNR, in the hopes of getting them upgraded without using a SWU? Or should I book myself in Economy and hope to get upgraded to Business?

Any thoughts?
The complimentary upgrades you get as an EXP do NOT apply to international travel, only domestic. So you may get s free upgrade on any connections you make within the U.S., you will be in coach for the TATL legs if you don't use SWU or miles to get into business class.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
The free upgrades for an EXP only apply to domestic flights.

You will not be getting anyone upgraded, not even yourself, without using a SWU, on the international flights.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Is the EXP you are shooting for the result of your natural travel patterns, or are you going to have to shell out a lot of cash and travel time to nowhere and back for your travel to get EXP, and this is all a scheme to get a bunch of folks some nicer flights for your trip to Europe?

If it's the latter... why aren't you spending the money you're going to spend on EXP on the 2016 Europe trip itself? Because as mentioned, your plan (2 F awards + 4 J upgrades on the same flight) isn't all that realistic, but the couple thousand dollars you're likely to spend on mileage running could go a long way towards Europe expenses, or even premium economy flights (and keep in mind that East Coast TATLs are fairly short experiences in F or J).

(I know, I'm discouraging someone from doing flying for nothing other than status. Please don't burn me at the stake...)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Is the EXP you are shooting for the result of your natural travel patterns, or are you going to have to shell out a lot of cash and travel time to nowhere and back for your travel to get EXP, and this is all a scheme to get a bunch of folks some nicer flights for your trip to Europe?

If it's the latter... why aren't you spending the money you're going to spend on EXP on the 2016 Europe trip itself? Because as mentioned, your plan (2 F awards + 4 J upgrades on the same flight) isn't all that realistic, but the couple thousand dollars you're likely to spend on mileage running could go a long way towards Europe expenses, or even premium economy flights (and keep in mind that East Coast TATLs are fairly short experiences in F or J).

(I know, I'm discouraging someone from doing flying for nothing other than status. Please don't burn me at the stake...)
Agree. I very much enjoy my EXP status and am very strategic in my travel patterns to keep it b/c there are some great benefits. But don't confuse "great benefits" with w/red carpet/VIP treatment and guaranteed F travel for everyone for free on every trip.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Agree. I very much enjoy my EXP status and am very strategic in my travel patterns to keep it b/c there are some great benefits. But don't confuse "great benefits" with w/red carpet/VIP treatment and guaranteed F travel for everyone for free on every trip.
Yeah.

I can see the logic if "hey, I do a lot of travel anyway, a little more to boost me a level is a good payoff in benefits returned" or "I'm retired and/or wealthy enough to do enough travel to make EXP as a leisure traveler, so why not?", or even "I have this 'weird' hobby and like to sit on airplanes for no reason other than it's an airplane and I'm flying", but the changes in the industry towards transactional/"we love you for what you spend today" spending patterns really do mean the glory days of mileage running are behind us, and if you want to boost your travel experience... it seems you can do it directly instead of indirectly through status.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

It's more of the former, so I'm expecting to get EXP because of lots of work travel. I thought about doing a status challenge and MR run, but at this point I'm not ready to shell out money for something I'll get in a few months.

As for the plan, it's more of a "it'll be nice to do" to get everyone else upgraded to J or F. I have enough points/miles that the wife and I can get either F or J for TATL, so we're fine with that arrangements. I'm just trying to see if I can help out the other people traveling with us, to make that TATL flight a little better.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I do enjoy the benefits that comes with having Airline status, and I'm a little disappointed that I'm losing all my status with US for a few weeks. Regarding the VIP treatment and F travel, I've know that it's a not right but a "consider yourself lucky" if you get it. Unless I'm paying or using award for F travel, I have no expectations of getting it.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaimelannister
The complimentary upgrades you get as an EXP do NOT apply to international travel, only domestic. So you may get s free upgrade on any connections you make within the U.S., you will be in coach for the TATL legs if you don't use SWU or miles to get into business class.
Thanks. I forgot that the upgrades don't apply to international travel.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In regards to the original question getting more than 2 SWU's applied on a single flight is very, very difficult. I have managed to pull it off successfully twice in 8 years. Once by grabbing them as soon as they laded the flight and once by very careful monitoring of EF.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
1) You need 6 J/F tickets from TPA to anywhere in Europe? in this case, One-way USA-EU is 50k, 6x50=300k Advantage miles, or 3 RT in J.

2) You said that you will do the PLT Challenge, what's the point of that if you are going to get AA EXP by the end of October?, you should be able to get PLT before that date, unless you want the benefits (Lounge access/better seats) for those flights. Keep in mind that in order to get AA Exc PLT you must flight 100K in 2015 (US, AA and OW partners).

3). If you looking for July dates, you will be able to buy it (paid/miles) 331 days in advance, which means in August/September. Business (J) in July are hard to get, but if book it in advance (August), you should be able to get at least 3 J seats with AA.

4). You best option (for USA-EU RT) is get 3 RT J seats with AA miles, and 3 paid Y seats, then use 6 SWU for upgrades, and of course, you should be one of those Y seats, there is a high change you will get at least your seat in J (leaving 2 other pax in Y) thanks to your status (future EXP).

5). In order to avoid high YQ fees, look for AA, Air Berlin, Finnair and IB (YQ fees but lot less than BA). MIA-MAD-EU is a good option on AA+IB, AA usually release 3 J seats (and 7 Y) and IB around 2 J, departure time are similar.

6) Routing:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.