Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled connection w/ checked bags

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: free agent

Checking bags is something I never normally do, so apologies for the somewhat noob question.

I'm currently enroute to ORD, to connect to AA4367 ORD-PHL which just cancelled, probably WX. Checking the res online, AA have proactively rebooked me on US742. ^ No complaints there.

Question is, my bags are checked thru to PHL with the (now) cancelled flight number - what will happen in this situation?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Ultimately, the bags should get to Philadelphia.

The baggage handlers will know that the AA flight was cancelled and should work to tag them to the flight you are on.

Do you have a tight connection in ORD to the new flight? If not, I would check w/the gate agent upon arrival - or better yet - go to the AC if you are member - and have them look into the bags' status while still in ORD. They can contact baggage handling directly and try to get the bags to the new flight w/you.

In the event the bags don't make it on your flight, when you get to PHL - you'll need to go to the AA baggage office and arrange to have AA ultimately deliver the bags to your hotel, house, etc..
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:07 pm

Similar thing happened to me recently, and I think my experience says all you need to know.

My wife and I had three checked bags. One of the three bags made it on the new flight. The other two did not, but they were delivered the next day. All three bags had identical rerouting tags on them.

The lesson is that they know where the bags need to go, but sometimes it doesn't work perfectly, so your mileage may vary. If the connecting airport has bad weather and lots of cancelled flights, your odds of success are lower because rerouting the bags takes time.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Ultimately, the bags should get to Philadelphia.

The baggage handlers will know that the AA flight was cancelled and should work to tag them to the flight you are on.

Do you have a tight connection in ORD to the new flight? If not, I would check w/the gate agent upon arrival - or better yet - go to the AC if you are member - and have them look into the bags' status while still in ORD. They can contact baggage handling directly and try to get the bags to the new flight w/you.

In the event the bags don't make it on your flight, when you get to PHL - you'll need to go to the AA baggage office and arrange to have AA ultimately deliver the bags to your hotel, house, etc..
Great info - thanks. Going to the AC was definitely the right move, as the agent meeting the first AA flight was quite adamant that she was American and I needed to speak to USAirways which is a separate airline. (Topic for another discussion)

Turns out that I needed both AA and US agents to do something - the Aangel called the baggage handlers and I have a new reference number associated with the original bag tags. Fingers crossed I get the bags in PHL! Will post the outcome later ...
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Oh, the fun never ends. US742 just diverted to ORF as PHL is now closed to arrivals.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Outcome as promised ... bags never made it to PHL. Airport was a total shitshow with the snow, re-accommodated people missing luggage, taxi lines etc. Took 1.5 hrs to get to speak to someone to file a claim.

I should know better. My rule is never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, check luggage. There are two types of luggage in this world: carry-on and lost.
AlphaTangina has other thoughts on the matter though. :/
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by bdemaria
You actually have to go to the baggage office of the airline that got you to PHL so in the OP's case it would be US not AA.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Just to close the loop here, I filed a missing bag report claim at PHL with US. There were a LOT of people in the same situation.

US provided email updates at every stage - even when the bags had been located and were being dispatched. All 3 bags were delivered to me at 9am this morning.

Good end result. ^

As to what actually happened and who dropped the ball? No idea. I guess I'll never find out.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Just to close the loop here, I filed a missing bag report claim at PHL with US. There were a LOT of people in the same situation.

US provided email updates at every stage - even when the bags had been located and were being dispatched. All 3 bags were delivered to me at 9am this morning.

Good end result. ^

As to what actually happened and who dropped the ball? No idea. I guess I'll never find out.
Glad it worked out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.