Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Is there a better [BKK-HSV] routing out there for March 11 or 12?

Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle

I am booking a one-way flight on American Airlines using AA miles. I need a departure of 11 March 2015 or 12 March 2015, going from BKK to HSV. The ONLY routing the AA CSR was able to find is:

Mar 11, 2015
CATHAY PACIFIC 706
BKK Bangkok 01:35 AM HKG Hong Kong 05:05 AM

CATHAY PACIFIC 898
HKG Hong Kong 10:15 AM LAX Los Angeles 07:50 AM

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1169
LAX Los Angeles 01:19 PM ORD Chicago 07:26 PM

AMERICAN AIRLINES 2975
ORD Chicago 08:20 PM HSV Huntsville 10:00 PM

in Coach for 35K miles plus taxes and fees.

I searched several options on Award Nexus and didn't find anything at all in Coach. Is there a better option out there using AA miles, USAir miles or Skypesoes [no one way awards ]? Better, in this case, would mean a flight that leave later in the day on 11 March 2015 or 12 March 2015 but doesn't go through LHR, doesn't require a change of airports at a stopover point and doesn't have a 5+ hour layover at night.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be purchase the above listed routing on 15 Feb 2015 so as to avoid paying the extra $75 if I buy less than 21 days from flight time.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta.com shows some 40K awards on the 10th and 11th with travel on KE. You could do it in three segments instead of four, like this:

Delta started offering one-way awards at half r/t mileage 1/1/2015.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
I am booking a one-way flight on American Airlines using AA miles. I need a departure of 11 March 2015 or 12 March 2015, going from BKK to HSV. The ONLY routing the AA CSR was able to find is:

Mar 11, 2015
CATHAY PACIFIC 706
BKK Bangkok 01:35 AM HKG Hong Kong 05:05 AM

CATHAY PACIFIC 898
HKG Hong Kong 10:15 AM LAX Los Angeles 07:50 AM

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1169
LAX Los Angeles 01:19 PM ORD Chicago 07:26 PM

AMERICAN AIRLINES 2975
ORD Chicago 08:20 PM HSV Huntsville 10:00 PM

in Coach for 35K miles plus taxes and fees.

I searched several options on Award Nexus and didn't find anything at all in Coach. Is there a better option out there using AA miles, USAir miles or Skypesoes [no one way awards ]? Better, in this case, would mean a flight that leave later in the day on 11 March 2015 or 12 March 2015 but doesn't go through LHR, doesn't require a change of airports at a stopover point and doesn't have a 5+ hour layover at night.
Given your itinerary, relatively late booking date and the US/AA routes, I think you've done pretty well w/this. The LAX layover is pretty long since there the flights to HSV are limited you are looking at a long US layover somewhere.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta.com shows some 40K awards on the 10th and 11th with travel on KE. You could do it in three segments instead of four, like this:

Delta started offering one-way awards at half r/t mileage 1/1/2015.
3Cforme, you are my new best buddy for the next few minutes!! Thanks for the information about Delta now offering one way awards. I have to admit that I didn't even check the Delta website because I haven't been able to book anything I wanted with them since my [formerly NWA] account was transferred to them.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Given your itinerary, relatively late booking date and the US/AA routes, I think you've done pretty well w/this. The LAX layover is pretty long since there the flights to HSV are limited you are looking at a long US layover somewhere.
bdemaria, Thanks for the reply. I understood that the routing that I posted might be the best I could do given my self imposed restrictions but just wanted some eyes with more experience to see if was missing something 'better' [again my criteria]. The Delta flights posted by 3Cforme are actually 'better', in my eyes, since I can burn some Delta miles.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:28 pm

Also keep in mind that you are free to change the routing if something better opens up between now and your flight (if you happen to go with the AA award)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Also keep in mind that you are free to change the routing if something better opens up between now and your flight (if you happen to go with the AA award)
In this case, the better routing would be on CX 806 HKG-ORD, eliminating the need for a transfer at LAX.

Sadly, the earlier flight to HSV is 1h50m after the CX arrival, and the minimum connection time is 2 hours, so it wouldn't be a legal connection, but if you made it to the gate on time for the earlier flight and pleaded your case you could potentially get on.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Originally Posted by linglingfool
In this case, the better routing would be on CX 806 HKG-ORD, eliminating the need for a transfer at LAX.

Sadly, the earlier flight to HSV is 1h50m after the CX arrival, and the minimum connection time is 2 hours, so it wouldn't be a legal connection, but if you made it to the gate on time for the earlier flight and pleaded your case you could potentially get on.
Thanks to both of you for the input. I am all set. [I think/hope.]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.