Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Children able to sit in row BEHIND exit row?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

All I can find on aa.com is that children under 15 cannot sit in an exit row. But an AA phone rep just told me that they also can't sit in the rows in front of or behind the exit row. Is this true or is this a job for HUCA ?

We are not using a safety harness or etc. Just a 3 year old in a seat using a regular lap belt. Can we sit with her in the row behind the exit row?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not true.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
We may need a little more information to defnitively answer your question. On some aircraft, the row behind the exit row are actually also considered exit rows as they have direct access to the exit without having to enter the main passenger aisle. For example, LAA 757 have 2 seats at the 2L/R exit (seats B/C & D/E), and a row of 3 seats behind it. Since the A/F seats can squeeze between the cabin wall and the B/E seats to access the exit directly, these are also considered exit row seats.

There are similar rows on the A321 and possibly on some of the reconfigured 737s.

But again, these are actually labeled as exit row.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:54 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
That's a new one...haven't heard that before. If you're in a non-exit row, then...well, you're not in an exit row. I've never seen any briefings or documentation that calls out that children cannot sit in front or behind an exit row.*

(You specifically asked "Can we sit with her in the row behind the exit row?" That should be fine. What can't happen is for one of you to be in the exit row while you have a child somewhere else on the plane.)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only restriction I've heard is that children in approved safety seats may not occupy the row immediately forward or behind an emergency exit row:

AA Approved Infant Seat or Child Restraint Device Seat Locations

If you are using an approved infant seat or child restraint device, please note that it...

May face toward the front or rear of the plane in accordance with instructions on child seat label
May not occupy an exit seat or the row in front of or behind an exit seat
May not occupy the space between a customer and an aisle
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ngRestrictions
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The only restriction I've heard is that children in approved safety seats may not occupy the row immediately forward or behind an emergency exit row:
Ahh - that one's new to me. It does seem like perhaps the AAgent was confused and thinking about this rule instead.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
Ahh - that one's new to me. It does seem like perhaps the AAgent was confused and thinking about this rule instead.
That's what I thought. We have had her in a CARES harness before but I specifically said that she would sit in the seat with just a lap belt.

It is a 757 with 3-3 configuration. Not labeled exit row on seating chart.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:06 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Totally may not be relevant, but I seem to recall if you were traveling with children and wanted to sit in the exit row, you were not allowed to sit there even if your kids sat in another row. Given this, I can see how if someone asked the question, "Please book me and my spouse in the exit row and put our kids in front or behind us", they would say no.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gwade
Totally may not be relevant, but I seem to recall if you were traveling with children and wanted to sit in the exit row, you were not allowed to sit there even if your kids sat in another row. Given this, I can see how if someone asked the question, "Please book me and my spouse in the exit row and put our kids in front or behind us", they would say no.
This is correct. But I dont read the OP attempted that.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone
All I can find on aa.com is that children under 15 cannot sit in an exit row. But an AA phone rep just told me that they also can't sit in the rows in front of or behind the exit row. Is this true or is this a job for HUCA ?
In spite of the conjecture in some of the replies, I can personally attest that this is absolutely true. On AA there is a buffer zone where no kids are permitted, one row forward and behind exit rows. You as a parent also cannot sit in the exit row even if you have children <15 elsewhere in the cabin. It applies to kids and mom in FC and dad slumming in the back (or exit row as was this case) as well.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
On AA there is a buffer zone where no kids are permitted, one row forward and behind exit rows.
Source?

we've seen no kids SEATS in these rows (with a source)...but nothing to support 'no kids'.

You as a parent also cannot sit in the exit row even if you have children <15 elsewhere in the cabin. .
Not the question being asked.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Source?

we've seen no kids SEATS in these rows (with a source)...but nothing to support 'no kids'.

Not the question being asked.
Personal experience. I've personally had to move my kids else where in the cabin, or course I could cite the FA and purser from that instance but I didn't commit their names to memory. As for your retort to the question not being asked, it was me simply being comprehensive.. which is not something FT is known for.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Personal experience. I've personally had to move my kids else where in the cabin, or course I could cite the FA and purser from that instance but I didn't commit their names to memory. As for your retort to the question not being asked, it was me simply being comprehensive.. which is not something FT is known for.

So it sounds like YMMV depending on the FA on my flight. The published guidelines appear on my side but we all know how far that'll get me if someone decides they know better. I guess my contingency plan would be to turn around to the three people in the row behind us and ask if they wouldn't mind swapping rows.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
OP- this all AA metal? Might matter.

CK desk states they have zero restrictions on placing a child behind an exit row on AA. Exit row is an exit row; row behind the exit row is NOT an exit row. This is an AA flight, yes? agent did not look at US policy.

We did discuss the possible issue if someone booked a seat there for a child and, unknowingly, shows up with a car seat or 'child restraint device'- this would require re-seating and he attendant stresses. She agreed that such a blanket policy would avoid this, but she reviewed all her policy sources and could find no restrictions nor policy.

I vote HUACA.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:53 pm

Only pertains to CRS and CARES.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.