Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ICN Choice [KE J or AA F?]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
ICN Choice [KE J or AA F?]

Hi Folks--
I have a choice-- fly to Seoul on Korean Air in J (Airbus 380), or on AA (old 777) in F.

AA is about $400 more, and I'm in NYC, so it requires an added stop in DFW.

I've enjoyed KA in the past, but never flown AA to Asia.

Is AA F worth the added cost and hassle?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you don't care about earning miles, etc. nonstop J for $400 less would be a no-brainer. Likely better soft product as well.

If you prefer a spacious seat that turns into a comfortable bed padded out with seat pad and has a duvet, pajamas and privacy for a good sleep, the somewhat dated and disappearing 777 F cabin, and don't mind the connection and extra time, AA.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Have not flown Korean Air, but the AA 772 in F is nothing spectacular. I'd roll with Korean Air. If this were on the 773 on AA then it would be another story.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
What are your dealbreakers? Seat comfort, food, service, nonstop flight?

For me, I'd choose KE because even though it's J instead of F, the service is more likely to be better and it's nonstop from JFK. Plus, if you're on a KE A380, there's a bar sponsored by Absolut Vodka in the back of the upper deck for F and J passengers. There's also a small duty-free shop at the back of the lower deck. However, J food was mediocre and I was disappointed in their drink menu selections. Plus, if you're on a full flight, their J configuration is 2-2-2, so you'd have to hop over someone sleeping if you're at a window seat.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
Originally Posted by DaisyO
What are your dealbreakers? Seat comfort, food, service, nonstop flight?

For me, I'd choose KE because even though it's J instead of F, the service is more likely to be better and it's nonstop from JFK. Plus, if you're on a KE A380, there's a bar sponsored by Absolut Vodka in the back of the upper deck for F and J passengers. There's also a small duty-free shop at the back of the lower deck. However, J food was mediocre and I was disappointed in their drink menu selections. Plus, if you're on a full flight, their J configuration is 2-2-2, so you'd have to hop over someone sleeping if you're at a window seat.
My dealbreaker is seat comfort--especially for sleep. A few reviews have knocked the AA F seats for that. Any thoughts?

It would be great to get all those AA miles, but I can use the KE miles too. Agreed about their food.

One other point made earlier-- AA is re-configuring all these old jets. No mo first class. So it's an historic opportunity.

As you can tell, I'm still stumped.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cyllabus
My dealbreaker is seat comfort--especially for sleep. A few reviews have knocked the AA F seats for that. Any thoughts?

It would be great to get all those AA miles, but I can use the KE miles too. Agreed about their food.

One other point made earlier-- AA is re-configuring all these old jets. No mo first class. So it's an historic opportunity.

In my experience with 772 and 77W F on AA, the elderly AA Flagship suites / beds are great for a long sleep. As I mentioned earlier, large comfortable bed with plenty of privacy. For work, etc. The seat swivels into the desk side. And it is historic, because all the 777-223ERs are going to offer two classes; only the 777-323ER / 77W will continue offering F, and though it's certainly more up to date than the product we're discussing, the old Flagship suites are much more spacious and offer larger beds.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:44 pm

if your No. 1 priority is seat comfort, my vote is AA F, cost and other factors aside. Yes it's worn and yes the service might not be as good, but the seats are still very comfortable. They'll be wider and longer than the KA J seat, and you'll definitely have more personal space and privacy with the Flagship "Suite" and in the F cabin in general. You're also supposed to get turndown service with a bed topper (unless that's changed).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
if your No. 1 priority is seat comfort, my vote is AA F, cost and other factors aside. Yes it's worn and yes the service might not be as good, but the seats are still very comfortable. They'll be wider and longer than the KA J seat, and you'll definitely have more personal space and privacy with the Flagship "Suite" and in the F cabin in general. You're also supposed to get turndown service with a bed topper (unless that's changed).
Thank you Folks-- some great observations here. Seems like AA is the way to go--at least from a comfort/privacy standpoint. And doing this research has been financially rewarding. I just checked the AA price-- it just went down (vs the tix I had on hold). Now it's only $125 more, not $400!

So this is getting good. Again, thank you all for all your help!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:20 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I've done both carriers in the last few months - KE in J and AA in J and F.

The KE J seat is meh. They give very anemic pillows and blankets in business on KE. Although I love Korean food, I find the food service on Korean not very good. Their lounges are also nothing to get excited about. They're a step up from Admiral's Clubs but frankly not by much. Better food but worse lounge comfort, lots of crowding.

That said, a nonstop is a far better experience.

The AA bird will also be somewhat underwhelming but the Flagship Suite is actually pretty excellent for sleep. They give lots of blankets and pillows and I find it better for resting. Of course the IFE screen is tiny, the food can be hit or miss and the service can be iffy. I've had generally good experience on AA but you do get some stinkers every now and then.

All things considered, for $400 I'd probably opt for AA F. Better yet, see if you can get on JAL via Tokyo. I checked some random dates and found fares around $4400 in J on JAL. Make sure you book the 77W and not the 788 (787) for the new product. That's probably the option I'd take above all of them.

Also, in airline parlance, KA is Dragonair (based in HKG) and KE is Korean.

Last edited by dll; Jan 29, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dll
I've done both carriers in the last few months - KE in J and AA in J and F.

The KE J seat is meh. They give very anemic pillows and blankets in business on KE. Although I love Korean food, I find the food service on Korean not very good. Their lounges are also nothing to get excited about. They're a step up from Admiral's Clubs but frankly not by much. Better food but worse lounge comfort, lots of crowding.

That said, a nonstop is a far better experience.

The AA bird will also be somewhat underwhelming but the Flagship Suite is actually pretty excellent for sleep. They give lots of blankets and pillows and I find it better for resting. Of course the IFE screen is tiny, the food can be hit or miss and the service can be iffy. I've had generally good experience on AA but you do get some stinkers every now and then.

All things considered, for $400 I'd probably opt for AA F. Better yet, see if you can get on JAL via Tokyo. I checked some random dates and found fares around $4400 in J on JAL. Make sure you book the 77W and not the 788 (787) for the new product. That's probably the option I'd take above all of them.

Also, in airline parlance, KA is Dragonair (based in HKG) and KE is Korean.
Thanks. As I wrote above, AA came down in price (to $3724), so now cost is not a factor. I love JAL, but $4400 is a buncha bucks, and i'm paying.

Why not the 787?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. As I wrote above, AA came down in price (to $3724), so now cost is not a factor. I love JAL, but $4400 is a buncha bucks, and i'm paying.

Why not the 787?
Slanty J seats, no First Class.

Although I heard that JAL is going to install flat beds in the 787s.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Think the 787 from JFK now has the new SS8 seats.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Gads-- not slanty seats. Not for 14 hours.

Thanks for pointing that out. Also-- JAL & ANA are around $7400 for my May dates.

AA wins!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 9.9MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
As mentioned, the KE lounge and J class food offerings are underwhelming, and I also did not think there was enough food served for the length of the flight.

However, the benefits of the non-stop outweigh these deficiencies. I flew this route on an almost monthly basis in 2013/2014 from the PHL/NYC area, and because ICN is a morning flight from DFW, no matter how early your connecting flight to DFW, it makes for a tight connection. I have missed the ICN connection a handful of times due to delays from de-icing, going around storms enroute to DFW, and once the flight to DFW was delayed from increased flight times due to strong headwinds.

And if you will be flying this route a lot, you will rapidly get bored of the limited selection of entertainment on the AA 772 by the second or third flight. KE entertainment is much better.

Last edited by Rasalon; Jan 29, 2015 at 8:17 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Cyllabus - KA is Dragon Air. Korean is KE. When I first glanced at the thread, I'm thinking this is a no-brainer; AA wins out since KA only flies from HKG. Not sure if they even serve HKG-ICN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.