Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1MM

I was dreading the notorious Terminal 5 to 3 transfer on my arrival last Monday. We arrived on time (10AM) from OTP on BA in Terminal 5. The bus took us to Terminal 3 with no wait. Security at 3 was light. I realize that the rush hours were over, but it was honestly smooth and efficient. Coming over from ORD on AA, I arrived late with only 1 hour connection time. I knewthat I had missed the connection, but I actually made it in 61 minutes and they were 15 minutes behind schedule. I made it! Unfortunately my bag didn't--
but that was not BA's fault. This was the 5th day of the terminal opening.
If AA had not been that late, it would have made it. So now I think that Terminal 5 is a good connection. Taking into consideration the arrival time (10AM) at terminal 5, I would say tjhat BA has gotten its act together. Anyone else have good/bad Terminal 5 transfers with AA lately? By the way with 35000 luggage problems, BA got the bag to me at a Romanian health resort in 48 hours.

====================MODERATOR NOTE================

This thread has some obsolete information; newer posts have been moved to a new thread.

Please follow discussion, ask questions or share observations and experiences transferring between London Heathrow International Airport Terminal 3 and Terminal 5 in this thread: NEW LHR / London Heathrow AA T3 <---> BA T5 connection / transfer thread.

Thank you,

AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm Reason: add mod note
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for sharing.

BA might want to hear that your luggage connecting isn't a BA problem, since it appears they sacked the two most responsible for the transition and opening Terminal 5. Kudos to them for rectifying your baggage issue n any case.

BBC article, in part:

"British Airways has said that two of its senior executives will leave the company after the opening of its Terminal 5 was dogged by problems.

BA said Gareth Kirkwood, director of operations, and David Noyes, director of customer services, would be leaving

The company said it would now look to appoint one person to cover both roles.

The opening of Terminal 5 was beset by a catalogue of problems, with staff not able to get into work, thousands of bags mislaid, and flights cancelled."

They have postponed moving the other ~50% of flights that were to move there due to the problems - I think that helps. Hopefully, they will be able to deal with the baggage overload they built up there (said to be >35,000 bags.) It sounds like they have been working hard on this, and the wrinkles are getting ironed out.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm in the process of trying to figure out how much time to allot in my connection from T3 -> T5. I think I'll be arriving in LHR at 655A trying to make the 840A BA flight to AMS.

AA EXP desk said that wasn't a legal connection, but is this still viable if I carry on? I can either use FCC, IRIS or Fast Track.

Any advice?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.1 MM, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RChavez
I'm in the process of trying to figure out how much time to allot in my connection from T3 -> T5. I think I'll be arriving in LHR at 655A trying to make the 840A BA flight to AMS.

AA EXP desk said that wasn't a legal connection, but is this still viable if I carry on? I can either use FCC, IRIS or Fast Track.

Any advice?
I just did almost the same connection Monday and it wasn't bad. I arrived into T3 from ORD (650A planned, 700Aish actual) and was scheduled out T5 on BA to PRG at 850A. The transfer was fairly quick with about the standard LHR morning security wait through baggage class security. I had time to stop at the BA FC lounge to change clothes and grab some breakfast befor heading to the gate.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
I did T3 to T5 two days ago and it was an absolute breeze. I didn't time it, but it must have been less than an hour from touchdown from LAX to the T5 Galleries lounge. Everything was smooth and my checked bag even made it to EDI. All in all, a good experience.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM

Any advice?
It seems that 120 minutes is to allow for contingencies, with a 90 minute MCT planned from 26 October.
Originally Posted by brettyokom
Minimum connecting times (MCTs) for passengers transferring between flights by oneworld member airlines at London Heathrow will change as a result of the terminal moves.

Currently, the standard MCT for passengers connecting between flights by different airlines at the airport is 90 minutes.

MCTs will be reduced to 60 minutes for passengers connecting between:

British Airways flights both arriving at and departing from Terminal 5.
Flights by any oneworld member airline both arriving at and departing from Terminal 3.
Transfers wholly within Terminal 3 will be eased by oneworld airlines there sharing or using adjacent facilities, such as check-in desks, gates and lounges.

MCTs involving connections between Terminal 5 and all the airport's other four terminals will be extended to 120 minutes for the new facility's first full flying season, with the additional time designed to deliver a robust service while customers and employees become familiar with the new building and transfer processes.

From the beginning of next winter's flying programme (26 October 2008), MCTs between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3, where the other oneworld airlines and the rest of BA's operations will consolidate, will be reduced to 90 minutes. The 90-minute MCT will also apply to connections between Terminal 5 and both Terminals 1 and 2, while connections between Terminal 5 and Terminal 4 will be reduced to 110 minutes.

Once the underground automated baggage system is implemented between Terminals 3 and 5 in 2011, MCTs between Terminals 5 and 3 will be further reduced.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:38 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

Any advice?
There is now a Direct bus every 6 minutes from T3 to T5 no need for FCC or Landside/Fastrack Immigration.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

If flying CE look for Fastrack Security at T5 and you should be in the Lounge by 7.30 YMMV
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:52 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat

Any advice?
It depends on the type of ticket that you are on. BA might force you to buy a new ticket if you miss the AMS flight. Any time you book below the MCT you assume the risk.

The MCT is now 120 min but is really 90 min (the case when T5 opened and will be 90 again in the fall), so pragmatically there is no problem to make this connection provided arrival is on time. For some types of tickets BA can be very sticky about missed flights, though. Unreasonably so.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
I was surprized! I arrived at T3 on AA174 last Sunday morning with a connection on AA6529 to ARN. I took the FCC bus from T3 to T5 and as I approached the FCC at T5 was disappointed to see several hundred people in the queue. The solution was to use IRIS. In less than a minute I was outside T5 and enjoyed a smoke.

Next step was to stop at the FC check-in and go through security. Unlike T1 FC check-in, T5 FC customers go though a common security area.

The new BA FC lounge is spacious, clean and well stocked.

On the return yesterday, I arrived at T5, did the bus thing arriving to T3 FCC with no queue at all.

Best part was that my checked luggage arrived both directions without a hitch.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by number_6
It depends on the type of ticket that you are on. BA might force you to buy a new ticket if you miss the AMS flight. Any time you book below the MCT you assume the risk.

The MCT is now 120 min but is really 90 min (the case when T5 opened and will be 90 again in the fall), so pragmatically there is no problem to make this connection provided arrival is on time. For some types of tickets BA can be very sticky about missed flights, though. Unreasonably so.
Yeah, it will either be a miles ticket or a deep discount fare. Looks like I can get a RT LHR-AMS for around GBP 95. I'm sure that I'd be able to make a change if I miss my flight at that fare, right?

I'm going to rework my schedule to see if I can arrive earlier, but it's tough because the 6p JFK-LHR is really full. Grr. Just 30 measly minutes drives the price up $200
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:13 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Are you saying it is now possible to get from T5 Connections Security Lines to T5 Arrivals/Immigration when being bused from T3? I dont believe you can at T4.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A number of posts that were related to NON-Terminal 5 LHR and peripheral issues have been moved off into their own thread, linked to in the Unofficial Users' Guide sticky as is this one.

This thread will continue, with your help, to document connections between AA (Terminal 3) and BA (Terminal 5 only.)

My apologies for any confusion this may have caused as you search for your post(s) and wonder...

Old May 2, 2008, 12:59 pm

LHR T3 to T5 transfer coach

Anyone done this recently? Have the fixed the glitches and are getting your luggage? How long did it take? Thanks!
Old May 2, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by trav25
Anyone done this recently? Have the fixed the glitches and are getting your luggage? How long did it take? Thanks!
On my last trip, I was on AA 66 ORD-LHR, followed up with a BA flight to GLA. The T3-T5 shuttle was dead simple, and took maybe 30-40 minutes to get from the inbound aircraft at T3 through immigration & security at T5.

I had no problems with my luggage. It seems that the luggage problems affect giving BA your bag at T5; when AA's computers tell BA about it, much less goes wrong. My luggage arrived in GLA when I did. (Due to weather, that was a day late: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809798)

BA initially denied compensation. Registered letter sent to BA's offices last week...
Old May 3, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
From flyermatthew:

"On my last trip, I was on AA 66 ORD-LHR, followed up with a BA flight to GLA. The T3-T5 shuttle was dead simple, and took maybe 30-40 minutes to get from the inbound aircraft at T3 through immigration & security at T5.

I had no problems with my luggage. It seems that the luggage problems affect giving BA your bag at T5; when AA's computers tell BA about it, much less goes wrong."

Pardon my simpleness, but I read this as saying that luggage checked at ORD sails right through to the BA destination - correct?

Good news, indeed: I am doing ORD-LHR-TXL in two weeks, with a long layover, and have debated carrying on until LHR - sounds like that would be counterproductive.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.