Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond

Sorry if the subject is wrong here, i didnt know exactly how to word it.

Being a hard-core CX traveller, am fairly new to the AA system of what's allowed and what's not in terms of flights and changes etc.

I recently booked and ticketed my wife on aa flight 397 from mia-lax on August 1st. Our original time at the booking (and ticket) is dept at 6.55pm arrval 9.10pm into LAX.

When i was on the site now, i saw that flight 397 has been changed to 7.55pm dept (arrival LAX 10.10pm). Which is too late for me. So I'm trying to change to the earlier flight (which is 6.20pm departure arrival 8.34pm). Since they changed the flight time.

When I called AA reservations Hong Kong(whom i purchased the ticket from). they told me that I CANNOT CHANGE for free as the flight number hasnt changed, so if i'm ticketed on 397, if i change, there is a charge. else i must stick on 397 regardless of the change.

According to the Frequent traveller's out there, is this right ? I'm residing in hong kong, bought ticket in hong kong, and my wife hold's no status on OW.

Do you think if i called U.S. reservations, would that make a difference ?

Should i keep insisting to the change to the earlier flight for free, since AA changed the schedule after I had ticketed ?

Thanks for the help.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Passengers whose flights are changed due to an AA schedule change may rebook on a different flight(s) or receive a full refund (even on non-refundable tickets) under the conditions outlined here:

AA: Schedule Change - Rule 240/80

These policies have been revised as of Feb 7, 2011:
Reissue for Schedule Change

* Agency may reissue the ticket provided there is no change to the dates, origination and destination cities, inventory, fare, or fare basis. The new ticket must be annotated “AA SKED CHG” in the endorsement box. This is the only annotated verbiage required on the new ticket and supersedes the required verbiage for the fare ticketed.

* Agency may reissue if American Airlines has reaccommodated for the same dates, origination and destination cities, same inventory, fare or fare basis. The new ticket must be annotated “AA SKED CHG” in the endorsement box. This is the only annotated verbiage required on the new ticket and supersedes the required verbiage for the fare ticketed.

* Agency may reissue if American Airlines has reaccommodated for a different date due to the same day flights were not available for the reaccommodation, as long as the new confirmed booking is the same inventory, origination and destination cities, fare and fare basis. The new ticket must be annotated “AA SKED CHG” in the endorsement box. This is the only annotated verbiage required on the new ticket and supersedes the required verbiage for the fare ticketed.

When reissuing the tickets the PNR must be documented with the following OSI:

OSI AA INVOL SKED CHG/AA FLIGHT NUMBER/DATE/CXLD OR SKED CHG

Note:
AA flight number is the original flight number.
Date is the original flight date.
Only one OSI per PNR is necessary even if multiple flights are impacted by the schedule change.

Schedule Change unacceptable to customer

Travel agency must contact AA RES to handle the rebooking and re-ticketing if the same inventory is not available, if a flight is not available on the same day, or the schedule change is not acceptable to the customer. The customer may be eligible for a refund by AA only for the unused portion of the ticket.

* If schedule change is from a nonstop to a connection or through flight , a refund to form of payment (FOP) is allowed by American Airlines.
* If schedule change is from a through flight to a connecting flight, NO refund.
o EXCEPTION: see C and D and E below.
* If schedule change or flight delay of 60 minutes or less NOT eligible for a refund.
* If schedule change is 61-120 minutes, refund to voucher only is allowed by American Airlines.
* If schedule change is greater than 120 minutes, refund of the remaining ticket to the original form of payment (FOP). All remaining coupons must be refunded by American Airlines.
Previously, the policy was as follows:
Protection For Schedule Change
Passengers are to be protected by one of the following polices:

1. On AA flights in the same inventory/date as ticketed, if available. If same inventory is not available, AA RES will need to rebook in the lowest available inventory in the same cabin as ticketed. If a flight is not available on the same date, or is not acceptable to the customer, they may be rebooked on the previous or next day. Customers may be rebooked over a different routing (same origination and destination) as long as it is a valid routing for the fare being used.

The PNR must be documented with the following OSI:

OSI AA INVOL REROUTE/AA FLIGHT NUMBER/DATE/CXLD OR SKED CHG

Note:
AA flight number is the old flight number.
Date is the old flight date.
Only one OSI per PNR is necessary even if multiple flights are impacted by the schedule change.

2. If available reaccommodations are not acceptable to customer. Full refund of unused portion of the ticket as follows.

1. If schedule change is from a nonstop to a connection, a refund to form of payment (FOP) is allowed.
2. If schedule change is from a through flight to a connecting flight, a refund to the FOP is not allowed unless "C" applies.
3. If schedule change results in change of flight times of 90 minutes or greater, refund to FOP is allowed.
4. If schedule change is less than 90 minutes, refund to voucher only is allowed.

Note: Change fee does not apply. Refunds must be processed by AA only - travel agencies may not process refunds for revenue or AAdvantage tickets.
Note also:
Reaccommodations or refunds do not apply when the schedule change only involves a change in flight number.
dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Feb 8, 2011 at 10:56 pm
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
call AA directly. they will change the time for you at no cost.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:46 am

If it's a large schedule change (3+ hours), AA (and practically any airline) will change your flight for free (or cancel without any charge). I have done this personally. Smaller schedule changes are iffy. However, you are asking for a reasonable change, so it doesn't hurt to give them a call here in the US.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA's standard for a form of payment refund is a schedule change of 90 minutes or more in departure or arrival. It has nothing to do with maintaining the same flight number.

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 20, 2009 at 9:30 am Reason: see statement by Deltahater
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA's standard for a free ticket change or refund is a schedule change of 90 minutes or more in departure or arrival. It has nothing to do with maintaining the same flight number.
They changed my flight time by 60 minutes.....(but more important, they added a new flight that's even more convenient for me)....

anyways will give them a call when i get a chance and let you know how it went....
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by CXDM
They changed my flight time by 60 minutes.....(but more important, they added a new flight that's even more convenient for me)....

anyways will give them a call when i get a chance and let you know how it went....
I recently had a flight schedule change by only 20 mins, called and asked if I could change to a flight 6 hours earlier (I had changed my mind about the time I really wanted to go), got a free change no questions asked. I think it depends almost entirely on the agent you speak to.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA's standard for a free ticket change or refund is a schedule change of 90 minutes or more in departure or arrival. It has nothing to do with maintaining the same flight number.
This is incorrect. There is no time requirement on schedule changes. The only time it comes into play is if you want a refund. AA issues vouchers for changes of less than 90 minutes, over 90 minutes they go back to your FOP, most likely your credit card.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by CXDM

The easiest thing to do is to figure out what flights you want. Call AA and ask them politely to change to those. If the agent refuses, ask him if rule80/240 applies here. If he says no, escalate it
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by nova474
If it's a large schedule change (3+ hours), AA (and practically any airline) will change your flight for free (or cancel without any charge). I have done this personally. Smaller schedule changes are iffy. However, you are asking for a reasonable change, so it doesn't hurt to give them a call here in the US.
Where did you get your distinction between large and small changes as it pertains to AA schedule changes?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:15 am

AA is usually very accomidating on these issues.
Call AA U.S.
Have the record locator.
Explain you bought the ticket in Hong Kong.
Ask for help.
Your flight had a time change that no longer meets your needs.
You must be in LA earlier then the new flight arrives.
Can you please change me to an earlier flight.
Having the same flight number has nothing to do with it.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater
This is incorrect. There is no time requirement on schedule changes. The only time it comes into play is if you want a refund. AA issues vouchers for changes of less than 90 minutes, over 90 minutes they go back to your FOP, most likely your credit card.
Actually, the only obligation the airline has is to give a refund. They have no obligation, whatsoever, to make any flight changes no matter what schedule changes have taken place. In most accounts here, they have been willing to do this, but the requirement is not there in any way.

Where did you get your distinction between large and small changes as it pertains to AA schedule changes?
Exactly. Whether the change is large or small, AA have no obligation to change your flight.

Definitely best not to imply absolutes where none exist.

Cheers.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Actually, the only obligation the airline has is to give a refund. They have no obligation, whatsoever, to make any flight changes no matter what schedule changes have taken place. In most accounts here, they have been willing to do this, but the requirement is not there in any way.

Exactly. Whether the change is large or small, AA have no obligation to change your flight.

Cheers.
Maybe my mind is not working properly this morning, but that doesn't appear to be what is implied in the link provided by 3Cforme.
Protection For Schedule Change
Passengers are to be protected by one of the following polices:

1. On AA flights in the same inventory/date as ticketed, if available. If same inventory is not available, rebook in the lowest available inventory in the same cabin as ticketed. If a flight is not available on the same date, or is not acceptable to the customer, they may be rebooked on the previous or next day. Customers may be rebooked over a different routing (same origination and destination) as long as it is a valid routing for the fare being used
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I know that you and I disagree on this topic every time it comes up. It is my position that AA has a rule/guideline/policy/document that is intended for vendors (e.g. travel agents), and they are operating by it. That is the rule 80/240 quoted by MAGIC111 and 3cforme. Does that provide a legal requirement for AA to do so? I don't know, I also don't think it matters much, as the net effect is (which is well documented on here) that AA does make the changes as outlined in Rule 80/240 whether nor not they are legally obligated to do so.
The bottom line is that if the OP asks for the right thing, AA is very likely to accommodate.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I know that you and I disagree on this topic every time it comes up. It is my position that AA has a rule/guideline/policy/document that is intended for vendors (e.g. travel agents), and they are operating by it. That is the rule 80/240 quoted by MAGIC111 and 3cforme. Does that provide a legal requirement for AA to do so? I don't know, I also don't think it matters much, as the net effect is (which is well documented on here) that AA does make the changes as outlined in Rule 80/240 whether nor not they are legally obligated to do so.
The bottom line is that if the OP asks for the right thing, AA is very likely to accommodate.
They probably will be accommodated. No argument there. However, trying to argue an entitlement based on a rule that does not exist could backfire, and suggesting that someone try and use this strategy does a disservice, IMO. I believe that you have implied that they have an obligation to make this accommodation for schedule changes, and it is not an obligation. It is a favor, usually granted, but a favor nonetheless.

As for the agency section, this is reference material for travel agents, as you mention. It does NOT reflect the contract of carriage between the airline and passenger and, as such, has no legal standing...at least not from being printed there. If it is written somewhere with legal standing, then cool. But this is not it.

I just hope someone doesn't believe your claims about this "entitlement," take the wrong attitude and get screwed as a result.

Cheers.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by brp
They probably will be accommodated. No argument there. However, trying to argue an entitlement based on a rule that does not exist could backfire, and suggesting that someone try and use this strategy does a disservice, IMO. I believe that you have implied that they have an obligation to make this accommodation for schedule changes, and it is not an obligation. It is a favor, usually granted, but a favor nonetheless.

As for the agency section, this is reference material for travel agents, as you mention. It does NOT reflect the contract of carriage between the airline and passenger and, as such, has no legal standing...at least not from being printed there. If it is written somewhere with legal standing, then cool. But this is not it.

I just hope someone doesn't believe your claims about this "entitlement," take the wrong attitude and get screwed as a result.

Cheers.

You make this about something it is not. No one talked about legal rights, obligations or entitlement. It is simply a policy that AA has and normally operates within. I am sure there are a few people who have not been accommodated, just like people who have gotten 1.5 points after a free upgrade. Exceptions do not make the rule.

I am simply stating that AA has a published rule/policy, call it whatever. The agents normally are aware of these rules and work/live by them. The rule very much exists. Is it part of the CoC? No. It really doesn't have to be unless you plan to take AA to court.

For the majority of flyers, just getting protected or accommodated is what matters. All I am trying to do is inform others that the rule and thus the option exists. Being able to cite the rule gives the pax more credibility and higher chances of success

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.