Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ashill
No perimeter rule from DCA on Saturday.
Isn't that LGA, not DCA, for which that's the case?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ashill
No perimeter rule from DCA on Saturday.
That's LGA, not DCA.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Because revenue management thinks not enough people would fly the route...
Correction. The people who would fly it wouldn't pay enough to make it profitable.

Filling a plane is easy. Filling a plane profitably, not so much.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:27 pm

These seem to simply be low-risk 1x week flights utilizing aircraft that would likely otherwise sit on the ground on routes that are quite popular during the ~5 months they will operate. If one of the routes completely tanks, it won't be hard to re-accommodate paxs through the hubs.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'm surprised AUS-CUN wasn't added.
I think that AUS-CUN is already served by Saturday flights on United and Southwest is starting seasonal flights soon. That sounds like a great way for AA to lose money.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Xero
I didn't expect AA to add point-to-point routes, even if they are Saturday only service to CUN. So the cornerstone strategy is gone and we might see more point-to-point routes in the future.
I'm not sure if a few once-weekly routes have anything to say about the cornerstone strategy. Almost all AA flights are from/to a hub and these are tiny exceptions to this rule...
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
A bunch of flights all into CUN once a week and all landing around the time people check out of hotels... That sure seems like AA is providing capacity for some timeshare resort's package business, and selling it as public instead of charter to pick up a few more sales.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
A bunch of flights all into CUN once a week and all landing around the time people check out of hotels... That sure seems like AA is providing capacity for some timeshare resort's package business, and selling it as public instead of charter to pick up a few more sales.
It is incredibly unlikely that is the case. AA is simply sending planes that would otherwise be parks on a reduced Saturday schedule to Cancun. Nothing more.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It is incredibly unlikely that is the case. AA is simply sending planes that would otherwise be parks on a reduced Saturday schedule to Cancun. Nothing more.
And on the day when the fares to the Carribean/Hawaii/Mexico are the most expensive.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Fanjet
And on the day when the fares to the Carribean/Hawaii/Mexico are the most expensive.
Partly as quite a few of the package deals in/around CUN involve Saturday-Saturday, due to aligning with the M-F 9-5ers. And, of course, many self-bookers are booking similarly. I know quite a few people for whom their most, if not their only, plane rides most years are to resorts in the Caribbean/Mexico/etc.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Agreed, all 4 cities of strong ties historically and as long as these flights are profitable on an operating basis its better than sitting and not flying. Plus each of these cities probably has a decent amount of O/D to CUN during peak season anyway and these directs pull connecting pax via hubs enabling more seats sold there too.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Anyone "in the know" have any further update on when AKL might be announced? Its been almost a month now since people were saying its happening 'very soon' and 'this week'.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
I'm not "in the know", but a few hours ago on another forum, someone in a New Zealand thread suggested that the announcement is going to happen "within the next week". Of course, I have no idea whether this will prove to be any more accurate than any of the previous "within the next week" rumours :-)
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
I'm not "in the know", but a few hours ago on another forum, someone in a New Zealand thread suggested that the announcement is going to happen "within the next week". Of course, I have no idea whether this will prove to be any more accurate than any of the previous "within the next week" rumours :-)
Well put!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Anyone "in the know" have any further update on when AKL might be announced? Its been almost a month now since people were saying its happening 'very soon' and 'this week'.
Someone shared with me that there's a school of thought that they might wait for the final approval on the JBV/ATI to announce AKL-- and that's taking a bit longer
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5970

For the record, I personally -never- posted a "next week" post on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.