Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
AA served Cheyenne from DFW not too long ago, it lasted about 2 years from what I recall. Those are all long flights from DFW, that is the issue.
I do recall that.
PHX is substantially closer to most of those (except Williston) so I'm wondering if there is some potential for AA to start service ex-PHX.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DWFI
I do recall that.
PHX is substantially closer to most of those (except Williston) so I'm wondering if there is some potential for AA to start service ex-PHX.
But DEN and SLC are both much closer than PHX or DFW is. That area of the country is a bit of a UA stronghold in terms of business customers. And for leisure customers, especially to PHX, G4 has a lot of that traffic now via AZA.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
But DEN and SLC are both much closer than PHX or DFW is. That area of the country is a bit of a UA stronghold in terms of business customers. And for leisure customers, especially to PHX, G4 has a lot of that traffic now via AZA.
I guess so. I'm not saying you are wrong (in fact I agree) and I definitely understand why the network has evolved the way it has. If LAX wasn't so gate restricted I'm sure we would see more NW US service out of there already.

I am just wondering if that's at all being considered by AA network planning and if they would consider routes like that of strategic value in the network. DL now has 3 hubs that can cover that area (MSP SLC SEA), UA has 2 (SFO DEN), and AA has none. It seems like a fairly big deal to me.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I guess so. I'm not saying you are wrong (in fact I agree) and I definitely understand why the network has evolved the way it has. If LAX wasn't so gate restricted I'm sure we would see more NW US service out of there already.

I am just wondering if that's at all being considered by AA network planning and if they would consider routes like that of strategic value in the network. DL now has 3 hubs that can cover that area (MSP SLC SEA), UA has 2 (SFO DEN), and AA has none. It seems like a fairly big deal to me.
It is a big area but not a particularly populous one, and a lot of it is better served out of DEN anyway, by which I mean have the passengers make their own way to DEN. DEN is only about 2 hours drive from CYS (done it), and even with UA's service to Laramie, a lot of southeast Wyoming people will just drive to DEN for the cheaper fares. This also isn't unheard of out of Casper. AA didn't even have service to BOI (larger than most of the markets you list) before the merger, only US from PHX. And AA did recently start DFW-Bismarck, ND. AA also serves LAX-RDM, although now without subsidies that is only seasonal. RDM does want a PHX flight though: http://www.ktvz.com/news/American-RD...lanes/36260354

I could see Bozeman or Billings out of either PHX or DFW, Bozeman could be operated seasonal to begin and might be more likely to succeed that way. Williston is a no chance at this point unless oil prices shoot up (Williston is partly why Bismarck was started so it would remove traffic from that).

The problem run into is the same problem DL has here in Texas: the hubs are not well-located at all for the particular business, especially compared to how well the competition is located.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Nov 5, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
AA does have 2 hubs that hit all these destinations from SEA and PDX...they just call the airline that runs it Alaska. That really is their "solution" to filling this gap, at least for now.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
AA does have 2 hubs that hit all these destinations from SEA and PDX...they just call the airline that runs it Alaska. That really is their "solution" to filling this gap, at least for now.
Maybe if they had reciprocal upgrades like AS and DL have I would be more inclined to accept this as a solution
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by jsieds
pmUS has run seasonal Saturday flights to CUN and other places from BOS and DCA.
Not from DCA, which can only handle pre-cleared international destinations, and where AA still flies NAS and BDA.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not from DCA, which can only handle pre-cleared international destinations, and where AA still flies NAS and BDA.
that's right, thank you
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Maybe if they had reciprocal upgrades like AS and DL have I would be more inclined to accept this as a solution
Sure, I would GLADLY accept unlimited, no sticker, required complimentary upgrades on a space-available basis on AA as an AS elite (which is what I get on AS as a lowest-level elite, MVP, similar to AA Gold, except we don't have a sticker system, which I'd point out is unique to AA, DL doesn't have stickers, neither does UA).

Oh, wait, what you mean that AS would have to change to a sticker system like AA?

Say, is that a pig flying by my window?

Anyways, if AA was going to expand in the Mountain West, I suspect it would be to DFW, not PHX. But even DFW might be marginal at best.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by N830MH
And MIA-ABQ/RNO, as well.
I would LOVE to see ABQ-MIA. They should make it a redeye so we can catch the flights to the Caribbean and south american that leave in the AM.

Really don't know why the don't do this...
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
In addition to being beyond the 1250-mile perimeter rule. As for this new service, I'm surprised AUS-CUN wasn't added. Or even LAS-CUN.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I didn't expect AA to add point-to-point routes, even if they are Saturday only service to CUN. So the cornerstone strategy is gone and we might see more point-to-point routes in the future.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Xero
I didn't expect AA to add point-to-point routes, even if they are Saturday only service to CUN. So the cornerstone strategy is gone and we might see more point-to-point routes in the future.
US has had some point-to-point in the past, on Saturdays. I remember some MCO being added in the winter. It could have been a few years ago.

HP had so many point-to-point at one point it was almost like mini-hubs, at SAN, LAX, SNA, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Deleted (wrong)

Last edited by ashill; Nov 6, 2015 at 4:10 am
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Juanefny
I would LOVE to see ABQ-MIA. They should make it a redeye so we can catch the flights to the Caribbean and south american that leave in the AM.

Really don't know why the don't do this...
Because revenue management thinks not enough people would fly the route...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.