Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Peter T.
Aren't AA plans regarding its JFK-LAX route already well known?
FWAAA was replying to a specific comment upthread about re-strategising JFK-LAX; I am always hesitant to speak for others, but I'm relatively certain () that FWAAA is quite clear on AA's plans for JFK<>LAX/SFO.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
PHX is more centrally located especially compared to DFW which is too far south.
PHX is at 33°26′03″N, DFW is at 32°53′49″N. A difference of 32'13", or 37 miles.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
IMO AA has to keep Charlotte as a hub or else concede the intra southeast traavel to Delta. Believe it or not, there's a lot of business done in the Southeast, and US and DL own the market. UA has pretty much conceded because passengers feel like IAD is an inconvenient connection point. People going from BNA to JAX would prefer to go via CLT or ATL than IAD. AA doesn't even bother pricing such routes right now.

AA tried at one point to beef up Miami adding nonstops from smaller airports. That didn't last long. US has a solid market share of the business right now, and I don't think AA will be willing to give it up.

As for other hubs, I wish AA woould retreat from PHL and return PIT to the northeastern hub. With PHL being in NYC air space (or at least adjacent to it), there are numerous delays in and out. I'd rather eat glass than connect in PHL. I haven't done it in 2+ years in fact and before that there was a 4 year lapse. In contrast, I always chose to connect in PIT before the move. I know it won't happen, but a girl can dream.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Naturally ORD does make sense as a European gateway for points from roughly Nashville west though.

The mean center of the US population is in southern Missouri (https://www.census.gov/geo/reference...p_mean2010.pdf) but I think a focus on which metropolitan areas can get the most source traffic, and how to most efficiently route them to a hub when they're not already in one, is probably more relevant.
I agree here. That's why I was so surprised that so many posters are willing to just abandon such a strategic hub. If I had to pick a hub that best works for domestic, Europe and Asia, I'd choose ORD. If you are talking domestic, Europe and Latin America, I'd choose ATL unsurprisingly.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:42 am

CLT and ORD, I think, are both reasonably safe. Chicago may be competitive but it can easily serve a lot of Midwest markets with regional flights.

Originally Posted by Peter T.
In regards to PHX, I expect to see some services reductions after the three year freeze is lifted. With existing AA hubs in ORD and DFW, logically, there won't be a need for some of the current US flights flying out of PHX.

That said, one of the main goals of the new AA is to EXPAND its network and not just to hunker down and retrench and lower its carrying capacity. One area where AA could expand are by offering more international flights from PHX, DFW and LAX down south to the major business/manufacturing centers in Mexico and Central America. Of the three, PHX is nicely positioned because its the least gate restrained. So while eliminating some domestic routes from PHX, the new AA could expand its routes south of the border from PHX.

And besides all this speculation regarding PHX, I'm curious what others think are other destinations that the new AA could offer new or expanded service to?
There are supposedly a number of new AA destinations planned out of MIA and DFW which Parker is on board with.

Routes I've heard rumored out of MIA include NRT, JNB, and TLV.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Here's to hoping for PWM-ORD service. UA already does it on a CRJ700. I'd love to have a midwest connection when headed to the west coast instead of going south to PHL/CLT.
Here's a big +1 to that. One of the reasons I don't want to drop UA is their service to PWM. Even though its an RJ (900 miles from ORD...), its better than having to take four flights if trying to stay with AA/partners. MCI-ORD-DCA-JFK-PWM (the latter being flown on B6)..

Is ORD the farthest western destination from PWM? I'd be curious if AA could sustain an MD80 or A319 DFW-PWM. Maybe a 738 to MIA? B6 had their MCO service for a little while, and from friends at the airport, it did pretty well during the winter months. Lots of people connecting to cruises, etc.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Here's a big +1 to that. One of the reasons I don't want to drop UA is their service to PWM. Even though its an RJ (900 miles from ORD...), its better than having to take four flights if trying to stay with AA/partners. MCI-ORD-DCA-JFK-PWM (the latter being flown on B6)..

Is ORD the farthest western destination from PWM? I'd be curious if AA could sustain an MD80 or A319 DFW-PWM. Maybe a 738 to MIA? B6 had their MCO service for a little while, and from friends at the airport, it did pretty well during the winter months. Lots of people connecting to cruises, etc.
PWM-ORD is the farthest western destination and also the longest scheduled flight from PWM, currently. It's 900mi vs 800 to CLT, but the latter is at least flown on a mainline US jet.

WN supposedly offers PWM-MCO non-stop (or at least did last year), but it's not anywhere on their current schedule loaded out to the end of June. It could be seasonal, but PWM-ORD is the longest daily, year-round in any case.

I really do think PWM will pick up ORD and another pmAA hub, especially if the merged AA begins to try and shift some west-bound connecting traffic out of the mid-atlantic hubs. That or they add ORD and a 2nd daily to CLT, which I still wouldn't mind. It will probably mean cutting back from 4x DCA and 5x PHL, but it might be natural to cut one of the CRJ dailies from each anyway. I have no stats on where people go from PWM, but I'm guessing most are connecting and not staying in DCA/PHL/CLT.

Now I'm really getting wishful, but restarting PWM-YYZ would be nice as well. AC canned it when they started to cut back on the Dash flights, but I wonder if the area could support it to feed WS at YYZ.

Then again, I'm more optimistic than right usually.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Here's a big +1 to that. One of the reasons I don't want to drop UA is their service to PWM. Even though its an RJ (900 miles from ORD...), its better than having to take four flights if trying to stay with AA/partners. MCI-ORD-DCA-JFK-PWM (the latter being flown on B6).
Even if AA doesn't add a ORD-PWM flight, you can do a single connect MCI-PWM today via CLT, PHL, or DCA.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by nall
The other thing to note is that INTL connecting traffic at LAX is big money for AA, and many of those flights (esp partner ones) aren't moving to PHX.

This is not to say that PHX will necessarily cease to be a hub, but it can certainly expect MASSIVE service reductions regardless.
Right, but LAX can't really grow much more from its current position in the AA network. AA can't even accommodate the 20 or so flights a day US Airways currently has, even if they shrink those down, they aren't going to be able to add many more flights. LAX's status as an international hub won't change, but it can't absorb PHX's operations.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dtremit
Even if AA doesn't add a ORD-PWM flight, you can do a single connect MCI-PWM today via CLT, PHL, or DCA.
Of course, though it wouldn't earn any AA miles (until reciprocity starts), so not worth it to me. Doing the n/s on UX is a better deal and can offer upgrades.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dtremit
Funny that we are talking about MCI-PWM. This is a routing I had to construct a few times last summer, and potentially a few times this coming summer (because of my summer place near PWM and a recurring customer in MCI). In the past I've also had to piece together STL-PWM itineraries involving terminal changes at LGA or DCA, etc.

As an AA EXP, the MCI-PWM involved a flight to ORD and a lengthy connection wait at the Admirals Club before hoofing it to United. Sometimes in the not-too-distant Delta terminal, sometimes way at the far end of terminal 1. The fare was also remarkably expensive, although ticketable on AA.com.

UA's operation at PWM also had several meltdowns last summer, described elsewhere on these boards. US' existing PWM service (even better if they add PWM from ORD) is one of the delightful aspects of the merger for me.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by radarskiy
PHX is at 33°26′03″N, DFW is at 32°53′49″N. A difference of 32'13", or 37 miles.
True - "south" was probably not the best choice of words for buckeyefanflyer. PHX is better located for intra-western service and the northern half of the west for connections to the east than LAX if medium and smaller cities are considered. The one big problem with midwest hubs like DFW and ORD is the distance the feed traffic from medium western cities has to be transported before consolidating traffic to major eastern cities on larger equipment - a problem that places like PHX help alleviate. It's also the reverse - CLT/PHL work much better as collection points for traffic headed to major west coast cities than DFW/ORD.

Jim
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
UA's operation at PWM also had several meltdowns last summer, described elsewhere on these boards. US' existing PWM service (even better if they add PWM from ORD) is one of the delightful aspects of the merger for me.
It's unfortunate that they went with the ground handler that COEx used (GAT), rather than Air Wisc., which ran an excellent PWM operation. Have heard nothing but complaints from employees and pax since GAT took over for UAX.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
People going from BNA to JAX would prefer to go via CLT or ATL than IAD
I'm one people who would just as soon go that route on one of WN's multiple daily non stops.

But then AA hasn't been a possibility on that route since 1995, which is about to change.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: None
Every legacy has city pairs where the connecting point is in the wrong direction. It's pretty much unavoidable.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.