Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LHR / London Heathrow T3 Admirals Club, Flagship, oneworld Lounges

Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This is the archived thread for this subject, and is now closed.

The current thread is: LHR / London Heathrow T3 AA / US Arrivals Lounge (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:28 am
Original Poster

MODERATORS' NOTES

• This thread, originally entitled "A Tale of Three Lounges in Heathrow Terminal 3" now includes discussion of the following LHR Terminal 3 lounges mentioned in the Moderator Guidepost.

• For some firsthand accounts of the renovated AA Flagship Lounge, see:
4/24/10 - Our first report from ExpatExp - Post #375
4/27/10 - Photos from g1ant - Post #386
• For some firsthand accounts of the renovated AA Admirals Club, see:
5/17/10 - AA Facebook photos
6/27/10 - Some brief notes from dstan - Post #431
7/4/11 - Some more recent pictures from Kaneohe0850 - Post #602
• For some firsthand accounts of the BA Galleries First Lounge, see:
10/31/09 - Our first report from jlsw7 - Post #190
11/1/09 - Another early report from blout1 - Post #200
• For some firsthand accounts of the BA Galleries Lounge, see:
5/22/09 - Our first report from skye1 - Post #137
6/2/09 - A list of features from DrivingRain - Post #151
11/7/09 - A list of features from aSWUplz - Post #215
• For some firsthand accounts of the CX First and Business Lounges, see:
8/14/10 - Our first report from GVA - Post #457
8/14/10 - Photos from CX posted by francophile - Post #452
8/18/10 - Photos of the F lounge from tobyh - Post #459
• See also the related BA Forum thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...st-lounge.html
For photos of the BA Galleries First Lounge, see this thread in the BA Forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-heathrow.html
• For related threads on AA lounge facilities in LHR T3 see:• Note that the LHR Terminal 3 JAL Sakura and First Class Lounges are reported to close on 12/14/09:dstan and magic111
AA Forum Co-Moderators

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this has been covered previously, by all means post.
With the addition of Japan Airlines (JAL) to Oneworld, American Elites have a new Terminal 3 Lounge Option in London Heathrow Airport (LHR): The JAL Sakura Lounge, on the second floor of lounge area F. In the spirit of discovery, I decided to write a little trip report on this lounge, as well as some comparative data.

My sequence was as follows:

1) Cathay Pacific First Lounge. A-Lounge Area, up the stairs. As always, the staff here are among the best I have experienced. Always gracious and friendly. The first class area, as has been reported previously, is small and without windows. However, the food choices are above average (soup, salads, risotto, and noodles made upon request in addition to dim sum, standard crisps and biscuits). The beverage choices are good. I think the furniture is a bit dated, but functional. There are several networked computers, and a flat screen TV. I've never used the showers. The bathroom is tidy and well-maintained. Best of all, this place is usually deserted for American departures. Except the other day, when some really annoying passengers were there. In many ways, this prompted my lounge hopping.

2) Japan Airlines. F-Lounge area, up the stairs. Note: This lounge opens at 1pm (per more recent reports). The staff here were all Japanese ladies, and assumed a very traditional politeness. Clearly, the presentation of a oneworld emerald confused them slightly. At first, they invited me to sit in the business lounge while they sorted out proper procedure. At my light prompting, I then was invited to the First Class area (to the left). It appears they need to manually log non-JAL flyers. All was sorted out quickly, and again I had the lounge to myself. The lounge is absolutely spotless, and the furniture is slightly more updated (and classier looking) than Cathay's lounge. Another flatscreen tv is available. There are more nooks and crannies in this lounge providing more privacy. There is also a nice large window providing lots of natural light. While the Flagship Lounge, Cathay and JAL all offer T-mobile hotspot, JAL has signs throughout the lounge asking reception for a card with 3 hours of complimentary access. ^
Food: Slightly inferior to Cathay, unless you like Sushi. The refrigerator had a rack of boxed sushi choices. Beverage choice was also slightly smaller, with wines available from the attendant. Individual champagne bottles were available. However, Sake was available chilled, which could make for a fun afternoon. The lounge attendant was around frequently to see if I needed anything. No showers were found, and they have no free-standing computer terminals. I did not investigate the business-side lounge.

3) American Airlines Flagship Lounge, Area H. In my opinion, the least desirable option (although I have never been to the Admirals Club in Heathrow). Usually very busy, with few quiet spaces. T mobile connection is available for purchase, but several IBM PCs with printer, fax, and copier services are available. Liquor selection is okay. The food selection was better this time then I have seen recently. The bathrooms feel ancient (i hate that loud door in the men's room!). The decor and furnishings are very dated. however, the previous smoking area has been opened and looks to be more quiet space.

In sum, my recommendation is the following:

a) If you are really hungry, go to Cathay.
b) If you have work to do and need email access on your own computer, go to JAL.
c) If you need a quiet, comfortable place to sit with colleagues and have a sip or two, I recommend JAL.
d) 20 minutes before boarding, go to the Flagship Lounge and get an update on departure and boarding time.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 5, 2013 at 4:18 pm Reason: deleted portion added to Moderator Guidepost / WikiPost
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:49 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
GREAT report.

The JAL lounge opening at 3pm certainly limits the AA pax from using this lounge ... unless you are on the last AA departures of the day.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:06 am

Thanks for the details! I never thought of using the JAL lounge while there - nice to know there are options!

Peace!
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by JGR01
GREAT report.

The JAL lounge opening at 3pm certainly limits the AA pax from using this lounge ... unless you are on the last AA departures of the day.
Just a note that it also closes at 7:30... would've liked to stick around 10-15 minutes longer the last time I flew the late evening LHR-JFK
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:38 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
2008 T3 will have a 4th Option with BA/QF shared Lounge ^

Edited Thanks SNA

Last edited by UncleDude; Aug 31, 2007 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by UncleDude
2008 T4 will have a 4th Option with BA/QF shared Lounge ^
You mean T3 right? BA and QF will vacate T4 when T5 opens.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Just a J-class perspective- I made the tour a few weeks back:

Cathay- Also empty on the J side. I agree this has the best food selection, and I love the dim sum there. Best internet connectivity/availabilty (in terms of speed, number of machines actually working, etc.). Also the best showers- very spacious, rainforest shower heads, clean.

JL- I arrived right at 3. They also had to write my details down by hand. I was the only one there, which was very nice. Tons and Tons of Japanese snacks, with a decent drink selection. I did not see any sushi on the J side though.

AA AC- The one thing I appreciate about the AC is the little room with the reclining chairs. Best place to take a nap since it is separate and comfy. The showers are pretty poor- old, moldy, and not so clean. They definitely show the years of wear. The towels are on the older side too. I was glad to hear that they are doing some refurbishment in the hopefully near future.

keywords to make search easier: heathrow lounges japan terminal three showers
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:37 am

Thanks very much! ^

The big window in the JAL Lounge. Does that overlook the ramp?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spanishflea
Thanks very much! ^

The big window in the JAL Lounge. Does that overlook the ramp?
It does overlook one runway, if that's what you mean.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Excellent review, thanks. ^ I totally forgot we now have the JL option as well in LHR!

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by UncleDude
2008 T3 will have a 4th Option with BA/QF shared Lounge ^
AA will hae a fully renovated and expanded AC and FL at T3 by end of 2008 as well. As per some AA exec's that I met at the opening of the JFK FL, with the realignment of carriers at various terminals in Heathrow after T5 opens, AA will acquire the Korean and Gulf lounge spaces which will allow them to expand the lounge complex. A full renovation will be completed in conjunction with the expansion...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by studio76
AA will acquire the Korean and Gulf lounge spaces which will allow them to expand the lounge complex.
Oooh. They're both upstairs aren't they?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:30 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Does anybody know who are SQ's neighbors at T3..This would make a Great OneWorld Lounge if combined with SQ.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
While the Flagship Lounge, Cathay and JAL all offer T-mobile hotspot, JAL has signs throughout the lounge asking reception for a card with 3 hours of complimentary access. ^
Although not quite WiFi, the CX ladies will provide you with a LAN cable to plug your laptop into their network for complimentary internet access.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
3) American Airlines Flagship Lounge. T mobile connection is available for purchase...
The US Flagship Lounges now give free T-mobile access, is this not true in LHR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.