Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Northeast U.S. storm "Juno" - discussion, questions, experiences (late January 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

PLEASE READ. For the time being, we've copied resource links to AA Travel Policy, OSO Desk, weather and airport delays, etc. from the wiki in the AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (weather, system IRROPS, etc.) thread. SEE BELOW.

PLEASE RESTRICT THIS WIKI TO AMERICAN AIRLINES

The recent January northeast winter storm "Juno" thread can be found here.

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 (Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to US Weather Service website

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of Rule 80 / 240 issues.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and so on.

Print Wikipost

Northeast U.S. storm "Juno" - discussion, questions, experiences (late January 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:27 pm

My son and I were scheduled to take AA 1640 EGE to JFK yesterday (Monday 26 Jan 8:50 - 15:02), which cancelled at 20:00 on Sunday.

The story is worth telling. We rebooked on AA 1080 EGE to ORD on Monday (14:15 - 17:53), got in on time. We had rebooked for a flight to PHL Tuesday morning, but on arrival at ORD learned that too had been cancelled. Quick check of the Departures board showed flights that evening to Baltimore (BWI) and Harrisburg (MDT). Checked google maps, picked Harrisburg.

Snagged two seats on AA 4342 to MDT (20:40 - 23:17). Cancelled ORD hotel, arranged car rental at MDT (Avis sold out, Hertz was good, closed at midnight).

After deicing, arrived MDT at 0:24 Tuesday morning; fortunately, Hertz was still open. In car (Chevy Cruze) with bags at 1:00 Tuesday.

No precipitation, light snow cover. Plenty of electronic signs warning of "NY/CT/NJ Travel Ban", with radio announcements of "all non-emergency traffic banned in NYC after 11 pm, $300 fine and misdemeanor charge if caught." We are prepared to stop at a motel if necessary.

Crossed Delaware River (I-78) into NJ at about 2:30. Light snow falling, more electronic signs warning of a "travel ban," we are outlaws! No one seemed to mind, light traffic both directions.

On I-287 at about 3:00, road ahead was blocked with a row of plows followed by cars with flashers, travelling 10-15 mph. Eventually dozens of cars were backed up behind them. At the NJ Turnpike they left the road, and traffic resumed to about 50 mph, snow heavier, passing still possible. Continued on NJ 440 towards Outerbridge Crossing.

More signs and radio warnings about a traffic ban and fines in NYC, but no visible enforcement. Reached Outerbridge Crossing at about 4:00, truly desolate, no traffic at all, wind-whipped snow was beautiful and scary, expected to get turned back or even cited at any moment, but at Staten Island (NY and NYC), toll booths were open to collect my $14 cash. Considered complaining about paying for a closed road, thought better of it.

Drove right past police clearing snow around their car. Light traffic across Staten Island, regular snow fall with moderate winds, road was recently plowed with passing possible, snow cover but no ice, well lit.

Crossed Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Brooklyn at about 4:30. New signs now also advise "Emergency Vehicles Only." Still no evident enforcement. Empty eerie bridge, no danger at all.

Belt Parkway east, also not dangerous. Dropped off passenger acquired at ORD, continued into Queens past JFK at about 5:15.

From there to home at north shore Nassau took about 45 minutes. The only time we got stuck in snow was on a minor street three blocks from our home, and it took just five minutes to push the car out and go around the snow bank, to the plowed road.

Disconcerting to hear the radio reporting lies about the weather, and about traffic enforcement, and closed bridges (by name), in real time. The government officials whose "news" was reported by the media ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JDiver
Great news, george 3.
Signs of life at LGA an hour ago when I drove by. Planes coming in for landing a couple of takeoffs, runways and tarmacs look clear, but it didn't look like there were alot of planes at the airport. Today will be more repositioning with decreasing ripple through the day and tomorrow AM. Probably all back to normal on Friday.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by george 3
Signs of life at LGA an hour ago when I drove by. Planes coming in for landing a couple of takeoffs, runways and tarmacs look clear, but it didn't look like there were alot of planes at the airport. Today will be more repositioning with decreasing ripple through the day and tomorrow AM. Probably all back to normal on Friday.
Great report, george 3. Sounds like we'll be normal, perhaps as early as tomorrow and certainly by the weekend.

GaryD, that's a trip!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:10 am

Great report, george 3. Sounds like we'll be normal, perhaps as early as tomorrow and certainly by the weekend.

GaryD, that's a trip!
Glad to be of service. Light snow tonight, but potential threat again Sunday night into Monday. Weather channel is playing it up, afterall, you have more people turned to the station when the threat is there as opposed to flurries.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:20 pm

It's not my goal to become the Al Roker/Sam Champion/Jim Cantore of Flyertalk, but here we go again. Big time winds tonight and tomorrow have lead to substantial delays at LGA and JFK this evening 1/31 into tomorrow. I nearly lost my hat on the Queensboro elevated train station this evening and even windier at CitiField where I park (1 mile from LGA). We get a break Super Bowl Sunday and then another snowstorm threatens the NE between NYC and Boston on Monday. Eyes on the skies.....and your reservations and alternatives!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, more snow en route for the northeast - and a storm policy for central US as well.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:29 am

Yes, more snow en route for the northeast - and a storm policy for central US as well.
Here we go again for the NE. My 8am from JFK to SFO was canceled for Monday 2/2 along with the rest of the morning Transcons.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:57 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Greetings from BOS. Deceptively beautiful day right now, but the airlines here are already preparing the for the cancellations tomorrow.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:59 am

Trying to call AA about another subject, but time-sensitive in light of limited availability. EXP caller ID recognized by AA's system. Hold time nonetheless quoted at 1:18 to 1:45. An hour and a half for an EXP to talk to an agent? Ugh! I wonder what non-EXP's are getting???
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by bedelman
Trying to call AA about another subject, but time-sensitive in light of limited availability. EXP caller ID recognized by AA's system. Hold time nonetheless quoted at 1:18 to 1:45. An hour and a half for an EXP to talk to an agent? Ugh! I wonder what non-EXP's are getting???
I got this too (and that's how long it took for the callback number of provided), but then just decided to wait it out and it was only about 10 minutes before I got in touch with a human.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by bedelman
I was quoted a 49 minute to one hour nine minute call back from EXP desk and received it in about 45 minutes. Not bad.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:42 pm

For the circumstances, I'm doing about as well as I could be.

My flight into ORD was canceled, but I was able to get to DFW, so I'm at least waiting comfortably in the Amex lounge. Now just standing by until a seat is open or Tuesday morning, whichever comes first.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Here we go again......

My LAS > JFK was cancelled. I was surprised as it was scheduled to land at 6:30pm, a couple of hours before the snow was scheduled to start.

While Waiting in Line I called the normal customer service number. I have no status. Wait was 2.5 - 3 hrs for callback. Called the OSO number. Callback was 10 min. (Thank You FT!)

The AA / US portion of LAS was not a fun place to be this morning / afternoon as several flights to PHX were diverted to LAS due to fog. There were a lot of anxious passengers with Super Bowl tickets trying to figure out what to do. In addition, there was WX at ORD and expected WX in the Northeast.

First rebook on US through PHL never left. Crew was stuck in PHX. US/AA coordination still leaves a lot to be desired, but that's a story for another time.

Second rebook with an overnight in MIA was ugly, but got me to NYC around midnight Monday / Tuesday.

Then the 3 hr callback came through. I'm currently overnighting in SEA (with a lot of grumpy Seahawks fans) They put me on AS to SEA and I'm on the 7:00am SEA - JFK. Here's hoping that it flies.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Called in just now from BKK to ticket an award home and, regular line, about a 15 minute hold time, no estimate given at beginning and no offer to call back-- was delighted and relieved hold time was so short under the circumstances
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:06 am

At JFK Flagship lounge now for LAX flight. Snow removal ops between A and C concourse is going very well. Rain now converted snow to slush. Some morning flights scheduled, looks like back to some degree of normal with no cancellations after 3pm based on Big Board past TSA. Very few airplanes at gates. Two TAM jets at 37 and 47. And the LAX flight at Gate 3. Nothing down by the Eagle gates. No tails on even side of C concourse. So for flights later today, they will need to get the morning inbounds in.

The big concern is now ice. Rain will stop in a few hours, but temps will plummet. My advice is that you have rescheduled, plan ahead and keep tabs on flights beginning a few hours forward via ExpertFlyer or AA flight notifications. Today's schedule is likely to have delays for flights that are still going.

Travel safe all.

Last edited by george 3; Feb 2, 2015 at 7:09 am Reason: Update to note ice concern

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.