Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Northeast U.S. storm "Juno" - discussion, questions, experiences (late January 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

PLEASE READ. For the time being, we've copied resource links to AA Travel Policy, OSO Desk, weather and airport delays, etc. from the wiki in the AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (weather, system IRROPS, etc.) thread. SEE BELOW.

PLEASE RESTRICT THIS WIKI TO AMERICAN AIRLINES

The recent January northeast winter storm "Juno" thread can be found here.

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 (Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to US Weather Service website

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of Rule 80 / 240 issues.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and so on.

Print Wikipost

Northeast U.S. storm "Juno" - discussion, questions, experiences (late January 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by fastflyer
It looks like everything from about 3pm today until Noon Wednesday is going to cancel in BOS/BDL/NYC/PHL. If you can get to Miami today (meaning in the next few hours) that would be your best shot of getting to SJU.
I think Wednesday is going to be a clean-up and re-positioning day for AA in the northeastern US.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
It looks like everything from about 3pm today until Noon Wednesday is going to cancel in BOS/BDL/NYC/PHL. If you can get to Miami today (meaning in the next few hours) that would be your best shot of getting to SJU.
Thank you! Funny though AA.com is selling me BOS-MIA-SJU on Wednesday morning but everything ex-BOS Wednesday morning has been cancelled.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I'm trying to get to LAX from JFK and I originally booked 171 0600 departure on 1/27, which was cancelled yesterday. Re booked to 185 2055 departure on 1/27. Now that's cancelled. Apparently everything's nixed until the afternoon of 1/28.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by george 3
I think Wednesday is going to be a clean-up and re-positioning day for AA in the northeastern US.
+1 Absolutely. Public transportation will be closed on Tuesday in Boston - still unknown if service will resume immediately Wednesday morning. I take public trans for early morning flights and most of my fellow riders that get off at the airport stop are airport employees (TSA, ramp, retail/food service, GAs/FAs, etc.) If public trans doesn't go back to normal in the big cities, it will be tough for staff to be able to re-open the airports and crews to get to their original or re-positioning flights.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
+1 Absolutely. Public transportation will be closed on Tuesday in Boston - still unknown if service will resume immediately Wednesday morning. I take public trans for early morning flights and most of my fellow riders that get off at the airport stop are airport employees (TSA, ramp, retail/food service, GAs/FAs, etc.) If public trans doesn't go back to normal in the big cities, it will be tough for staff to be able to re-open the airports and crews to get to their original or re-positioning flights.
New York area public transportation for all intents and purposes (multiple sources) shuts down between 8 and 11 pm. I live to the north of JFK and just heard a number of takeoffs on Runway 4. Most likely taking advantage of a slight slowdown to clear out the remaining aircraft before the brunt of the storm.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JY1024
Joe Brancatelli says, in part: "New York State highways will close at 10pm tonight. New York City roads are closed to all but emergency traffic starting at 11pm. Massachusetts roads close at midnight. Connecticut is banning road traffic at 9pm."

It's bad, friends. And AA has extended travel dates one can reschedule for up to 1 Feb (see wiki).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:41 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
All NYC and NJT will be shut down tonight by 11pm. There is a driving ban in 13 counties in NY which includes NYC, Long Island and the Hudson Valley. LGA is going to be closed tomorrow. Time to hunker down..
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:30 pm

BOS supposedly will have snow done by Wednesday 4 AM, but the big question is how long before they can resume flights. I think Wednesday AM/midday flights likely cancelled, but evening/night should be okay, but that's just my best prediction.

Right now a lot of Thursday/Friday flights are booked full/oversold out of BOS as people changed Tuesday flights to later in the week.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Joe Brancatelli says, in part: "New York State highways will close at 10pm tonight. New York City roads are closed to all but emergency traffic starting at 11pm. Massachusetts roads close at midnight. Connecticut is banning road traffic at 9pm."

It's bad, friends. And AA has extended travel dates one can reschedule for up to 1 Feb (see wiki).
As the sun rises, albeit behind clouds, snowfall totals in NYC was far less than expected. Due to road and transit closures, it provided an excellent opportunity to clear roads and infrastructure. LGA got 6 inches and JFK about 8. All flights still canceled but clearing activities are well underway. While there are no formal announcements yet, I would say the airlines will start repositioning aircraft later today.

Good job of snow clearing will keep this to a two day inconvenience.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Has American ever "restored" cancelled flights?
I'm wondering if Wednesday will be business as usual into and out of NYC.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by george 3
As the sun rises, albeit behind clouds, snowfall totals in NYC was far less than expected. Due to road and transit closures, it provided an excellent opportunity to clear roads and infrastructure. LGA got 6 inches and JFK about 8. All flights still canceled but clearing activities are well underway. While there are no formal announcements yet, I would say the airlines will start repositioning aircraft later today.

Good job of snow clearing will keep this to a two day inconvenience.
Great news, george 3.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:42 am

I had booked DCA-JFK for Wednesday, they canceled it on Monday for some reason. Refused to book me for next week (I just moved my meeting) without a $200 change fee. (Really? For a flight you canceled?). Got a refund and booked it myself but felt it was handled pretty poorly. Never go an email from them either, just an automated call that hung up on me and said nothing except they were calling about my flight.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by DCAAA
I had booked DCA-JFK for Wednesday, they canceled it on Monday for some reason. Refused to book me for next week (I just moved my meeting) without a $200 change fee. (Really? For a flight you canceled?). Got a refund and booked it myself but felt it was handled pretty poorly. Never go an email from them either, just an automated call that hung up on me and said nothing except they were calling about my flight.
That is indeed pretty bad.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Scheduled to be on AA101 1/29. Seat map on mobile app now shows a 777-200, even though it says it's a 300. Glitch or equipment change? In 3A so not unduly concerned if seating assignments remain the same, but suspect they won't. All LHR to JFK canx today by the looks of things.

Anyone able to figure out the actual AC type?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:26 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Seems like BOS will have limited takeoffs/landings Wednesday morning, with schedules ramping up throughout the day. (I think I heard that JetBlue would be resuming at 3 PM.)

Will still probably take a few days to get back to "normal" and will still likely see a little disruption with the small storm coming through at the end of the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.