Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Round of Applause" Employee Recognition Program and Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

This is the closed, archival thread containing prior posts about them"Round of Applause" Employee Recognition Program and Certificates.

For the current thread please see: "Round of Applause" Employee Recognition Program and Certificates master thread.

American Airlines fora Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: "Round of Applause" Employee Recognition Program and Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The last two FAs that I spoke to said something to the extent of thanks but no thanks. One of them explained to me that management doesn't really look at those.
Could be something new but the FAs I've spoken to as of late don't find that they help much
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:18 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by abk
After several conversations with FAs about this I concluded that to most out there these mean nothing other than a reminder of how cheap they think AA can be.
Originally Posted by demkr

The last two FAs that I spoke to said something to the extent of thanks but no thanks. One of them explained to me that management doesn't really look at those.
Could be something new but the FAs I've spoken to as of late don't find that they help much
It may well be that they look at it as a slap in the face by management. They (management) send these to us to reward good service. They are really worth little...sort of like handing them a dime or something. The insult is not from us (and I'm glad that the staff have been polite to the passengers when refusing), but from management in suggesting to us that this is a suitable reward.

This is looking from the outside, of course, but seems consistent with some of the responses here.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:33 am

I've handed them out several times also. Only once, did the AA employee look at me weird. That time, the ticketing agent helped me for an hour reschedule a flight because I was going to have an issue with a weather delay. I gave him 4 certs (2 from me and 2 from my wife). He looked at them, and said, "I guess it's okay." and didn't even say thank you. I suppose he didn't care for them.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't handed out a single one for several years. Instead, I send a short email documenting "above and beyond" service (somewhat common) or substandard service (very rarely).

I recall posts from several years ago by elites dangling several certs in brash attempts to bribe employees. When I want something to which I'm not entitled, I simply hand them cash, hoping that gets the job done. Nothing says "I'm cheap" more than trying to bribe employees with low-value scrip issued by their employer. If you want to bribe someone, hand them real money.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I wonder if AA ever use "secret squirrels" (under-cover employees) to audit the level of service. If they do, the FA may have thought they could get into trouble if this was such an occasion and they just took the extra certificates.
They do. They are called "Compliance Officers"
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I haven't handed out a single one for several years. Instead, I send a short email documenting "above and beyond" service (somewhat common) or substandard service (very rarely).

I recall posts from several years ago by elites dangling several certs in brash attempts to bribe employees. When I want something to which I'm not entitled, I simply hand them cash, hoping that gets the job done. Nothing says "I'm cheap" more than trying to bribe employees with low-value scrip issued by their employer. If you want to bribe someone, hand them real money.
+1 Post of the day, right there!

How frequently does this happen? I didn't think people did this often (that outright at least). Sometimes I get them a box of chocolates, etc, but never outright cash.

How illegal is bribing an airline employee (for you), if at all? Is it "simply" a fire-able offense? Would you get banned from flying that airline?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
Yesterday, I missed my only other upgrade, on all things, TPA-MIA. No big deal, its short anyway. They do drink service and bag of snack mix in F on this flight and nothing in Y. I asked the F/A in coach if I could have a drink (long day at work). She said no, there is no service in coach. I mentioned that I was EXP and first was full and I would appreciate it if she could bring me a drink. She said that it wasn't possible because coach wasn't stocked with anything, so I asked why can't you get it from F galley, and she said because then all the other coach passengers would want something and it wouldn't be fair to them. I then politely mentioned that on much shorter Eagle flights (MKE/ORD) they serve only plat and exps, and not everyone. Somewhat irritated, she decides to go get the drink, and I tried to give her a certificate. She waved it off with her hand without saying anything.
The part of no service in coach surprises me and add the fact the FA said coach wan't stocked. Even WN does a drink service from TPA-FLL. What's up with that AA? Full service carrier right?

As a side note you practically had to beg for a drink whick is not classy and undeserving of an applause cert but TEHO.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Halo117
The part of no service in coach surprises me and add the fact the FA said coach wan't stocked. Even WN does a drink service from TPA-FLL. What's up with that AA? Full service carrier right?
It depends on the flight load and the motivation of the crew. More often than not on an AM flight TPA-MIA v/v, you get a choice of OJ, coffee or water. It's really only in the air 30-35 minutes, with the last 15 or so being on the ultra-long trans-Florida Ft. Myers final approach.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Somewhat irritated, she decides to go get the drink, and I tried to give her a certificate. She waved it off with her hand without saying anything.
So after she politely told you "No" three times, you still argued with her. Rather than continue the argument, she figured it was less trouble to just give you the drink. I would have waved it off, too. In the privacy of my own mind, I would have been thinking a few dark thoughts about someone who was in that great a need for alcohol.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
Setting aside for a moment, the 'need' for alcohol and the waving off of the applause cert, I do not think it is the FA's call to decide on the appropriateness of company policy (EXPs in coach are entitled to a drink and snack) based on what she perceives other pax might think and ask for.

Dark thoughts or not...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Halo117

As a side note you practically had to beg for a drink whick is not classy and undeserving of an applause cert but TEHO.
On full flights the FAs won't do a beverage service, which is not practical. On short flights that I have taken on WN from BWI to ISP (before WN went into LGA) if the flight was full the FAs would take drink orders before take off.
Also, WN has three FAs doing the service and does not make use of carts (drinks are served from a tray, there are no full cans given.)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
So after she politely told you "No" three times, you still argued with her. Rather than continue the argument, she figured it was less trouble to just give you the drink. I would have waved it off, too. In the privacy of my own mind, I would have been thinking a few dark thoughts about someone who was in that great a need for alcohol.
I think at that point, it became a matter of principle. He should have received a drink without having to fight for it. And it's not like people who like to drink are bad people.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Hilton UA Hyatt
Originally Posted by ihdihd
+1 Post of the day, right there!

How frequently does this happen? I didn't think people did this often (that outright at least). Sometimes I get them a box of chocolates, etc, but never outright cash.

How illegal is bribing an airline employee (for you), if at all? Is it "simply" a fire-able offense? Would you get banned from flying that airline?

I remember back in 2002 when I was a youngin and not so versed on the flying do's and don'ts, I flew to Telluride on United and one of their regional partners. Anyway, as I am told is usually the case in winter, I never made it in or out of Telluride due to snow. I flew into/out of Cortez or something.

Long story short, I flew standby for a flight and got the last seat that was free for at least 24 hours. I gave the agent $20 for her help, and she came back like 5 minutes later and said she couldn't take it, it was against the rules. Don't know who's rules, but that was my experience with this just one time I ever tried it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by phillykp
Setting aside for a moment, the 'need' for alcohol and the waving off of the applause cert, I do not think it is the FA's call to decide on the appropriateness of company policy (EXPs in coach are entitled to a drink and snack) based on what she perceives other pax might think and ask for.
I'm thinking that that policy only applies when there is a coach service. When drinks/snacks are provided EXP are entitled to get it at no charge. If coach is not catered, I'd venture to say that that policy wouldn't apply, and not just because of FA call.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by FWAAA
When I want something to which I'm not entitled, I simply hand them cash, hoping that gets the job done.
That worked out well for the baggage handlers in florida recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.