Xplat canceling award - what about ticket fee?

Old Jan 13, 15, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond
Xplat canceling award - what about ticket fee?

I may have to cancel multiple awards for upcoming AA and QF flights in March/April. As an XPLAT I know the fee is waived for returning my miles into my account. Do I also get a refund on all those small (and not so small) ticket fees including the ones on Qantas?

I couldn't find an answer with a search. Thank you
Old Jan 13, 15, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by trekker954 View Post
I may have to cancel multiple awards for upcoming AA and QF flights in March/April. As an XPLAT I know the fee is waived for returning my miles into my account. Do I also get a refund on all those small (and not so small) ticket fees including the ones on Qantas?

yes
Old Jan 13, 15, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
never done this on qantas but on ba, yes. every single cent of the insane fees has always been refunded
Old Jan 13, 15, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by trekker954 View Post

For the most part - as has been stated - yes, fees will be refunded. There are a couple of non-refundable fees - even for EXP - most notably the copay for a mileage upgrade. That wouldn't seem to relate to your itinerary so I add it just for future clarification.
Old Jan 14, 15, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold; Hyatt & MLife-Platinum, RCI-Diamond
Thanks everyone.

bdemaria - Yes this doesn't apply to me as they are straight up saver awards; but wow, I didn't know that about losing the co-pay on award upgrade tix. Some of those co-pays are hefty.

We bought trip cancellation insurance yesterday for the rest of our trip and I didn't include these airline fees. Our vacation of a lifetime and my daughter has a trial she must testify at - hoping to get it moved back though. I may bite the bullet and just give her another 75K to fly back for the day rather than mess up this month long VACA. What is that MIA-MEL 60 hours r/t. She's young, she can handle it. lol
Old Jan 14, 15, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Telephone booking fees for tickets booked where you are not traveling would also not be refundable.
Old Feb 1, 15, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I did have to cancel and did in fact get my miles and taxes back for most of my flights. The AA rep said she had to use a different system for my return flights but said it was all done and sure enough the return flights miles have not been redeposited yet. I called again and was told to give it three days.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: