FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Electric cart offer to plat/exp...I'm shocked! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/164515-electric-cart-offer-plat-exp-im-shocked.html)

AuAAdvantage Mar 10, 2004 5:23 pm

Electric cart offer to plat/exp...I'm shocked!

Exiting the jetway from an AE flight at ORD the other day (connecting to mainline in another concourse) I was greeted by an AA manager (?) who was asking for me by name. I figure it's an offer of mental counseling for mileage runners, but instead he says how much AA appreciates my business and that of other Plats and EXPs (I don't recall him mentioning Gold, but maybe I missed it, or maybe there were no Golds on the flight...he had a list). He then offers me a ride on an AA electric cart (there were already two others sitting in it, I assume AAdvantage elites) to the concourse I need to connect at. I said no thanks, but I appreciate the offer. I did so because my flight wasn't for 2 hrs, I needed the exercise after the AE flight, ORD is one of the best airports for number/variety of stores, and, lastly, I didn't want to be one of Seinfeld's "cart people". http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif I was shocked (pleasantly) at AA's offer. I don't know if this is something new or if they've always done it. If so, I never witnessed it. Maybe I should have asked if he had Budweiser on the cart (recalling my favorite commercial from the 80s for Budweiser beer) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif It just goes to show how AA can show, in a very effective and almost cost-free manner, how they appreciate our business, even if we're on an "L" fare! This is the exact opposite from my former experiences with DL. They made it very clear to all those who flew on LUT fares, that they didn't need us, we can stick our business where "the sun don't shine" and if we wanted to leave, not to let the door hit us in the butt on the way out! In other words, you've been "enhanced"! It simply amazes me that two major carriers can have such different attitudes towards their customers. As soon as I got to my gate a few concourses over, I called my wife and mentioned what had happened. I was truly flabbergasted! Way to go AA! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif
(Now if they would just mail my new AAdvantage Platinum card to me, so I won't have to keep using last year's Gold card!)

saint Mar 10, 2004 6:45 pm

Darn! That's great. I fly AA quite often and spend quite a bit of money with them and I've never had that happen to me. Doesn't matter though. I'll continue to fly them. I just wish I had the deals that you guys up in New York and Miami get on international flights.

Keep up the good work AA.

------------------
Have fun today because tomorrow you may regret not enjoying yesterday...

tismfu Mar 10, 2004 7:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AuAAdvantage:
I don't know if this is something new or if they've always done it.</font>
It's not new, but I agree with you, it is great.

azmmza Mar 10, 2004 7:10 pm

aa if you are reading this i want one too http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

SMF Flyer Mar 11, 2004 12:05 am

I have had this happen to me a couple of time in DFW, it was nice to get the ride to the next gate.

Had a very nice experience in ORD a year or two ago. While sitting at the gate I get a page to the service desk. It was a premium services representative. He essentially wanted to thank me for my business and tell me some of the upcoming positive changes that were on the horizon. He said if you are ever in ORD and need assistance please “call me”, he gave me his card. I said now that you mention it, my flight to DFW is delayed with an unknown departure time my connection to SMF is tight (it was also peak time in DFW). “Would you have a cart meet me to get me to my next gate”, I was coming in C and going out B. He said no problem, he got on the phone and called DFW, He told them that he had a VIP who was going to have a tight connection would they please take care of me and have a cart standing by at my arrival gate. When he got off the phone he said I should have no problems. In the event my flight did not leave in time to make the connection he said to call him and he would personally handle whatever arrangements I needed. My flight made it to DFW, as I was walking up the jetway I heard my name being called over the PA. A Premium Services rep told me she had received a call from ORD and she was here to take me to my next flight. They had a second cart positioned in terminal A to take me to gate 30 something. Needles to say I was impressed. I made the flight with 10 mins to spare. When I got on the plane I called the ORD rep to thank him, I also fired off a letter to AA commending their Premium Services reps (all three by name). I told them that’s why they have my business.

------------------
SMF Flyer

Jet Lag Mar 11, 2004 5:47 am

I also fly through Chicago on AE on occasion, and have been greeted numerous times upon my arrival. I normally prefer to walk, but there have been times that I would have missed my connection without being wisked to the gate on the cart. It's a pretty nice gesture on American's part to do this.

DEK Mar 11, 2004 7:38 am

Gee I wish they'd have offered me a cart last Friday 3/5 in ORD. My flight from BOS was very late and I had less than 10 minutes to get from gate K9 to H15 for my connection to CDG. As I came out of the jet bridge the agent asked if I was connecting and where and just told me to run. Which I did, like O.J. in the old Hertz commercials! Got there with about 2 minutes to spare.

[This message has been edited by DEK (edited Mar 11, 2004).]

AuAAdvantage Mar 11, 2004 7:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DEK:
My flight from BOS was very late and I had less than 10 minutes to get from gate K9 to H15 for my connection to CDG. As I came out of the jet bridge the agent asked if I was connecting and where and just told me to run.
[This message has been edited by DEK (edited Mar 11, 2004).]
</font>
Did your checked baggage (assuming you had any) make it? If so, wouldn't AA have held the plane for a few minutes because if you weren't onboard, they'd have to get your baggage off anyway?

Efrem Mar 11, 2004 7:59 am

About a year ago my TUS-DFW flight left late (departure delays to the incoming aircraft). I phoned the EXP desk to ask them to do whatever they could so I wouldn't miss my connection to Boston. The cart and the chap with my name on a placard were waiting for me as we emerged from the jetway. It made the difference.

Never been met by a cart without asking, though. I've been approached twice by Special Services agents in a lounge - ORD AC once, BOS FL once - who said how much they appreciated my business, and was there anything they could do for me? There wasn't, but it was a nice touch. (Both were while I was EXP. Maybe I'll climb back up.)

DEK Mar 11, 2004 8:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AuAAdvantage:

Did your checked baggage (assuming you had any) make it? If so, wouldn't AA have held the plane for a few minutes because if you weren't onboard, they'd have to get your baggage off anyway?</font>
I didn't have any checked baggage. Good question though!

Pakse Mar 11, 2004 8:22 am

Howdy,

I've been met at ORD by Special Services on three occassions.

The first one because I called the EXP desk and was in danger of missing my connection - they offerred to do what they could - no promises and thankfully a cart met me and I made it to the gate.

The second time was the best - traveling with my family (young son & wife) we were getting in late walked off the plane with less than 10 minutes before our connection left (We arrived at the bottom of H and our flight was leaving from the bottom of G) - again Special Services was there - without them - we'd surely have missed our connection and ended up with a 4 hour layover.

The third time I wasn't running late - had 25 minutes to make my connection and again without asking - there was special services.

Now - this isn't a regular thing, and I don't think it should be expected. (this is out of hundreds of flights through ORD, many of which have caused me to run - as we got in late). So generally - I expect to hoof it - but it sure is nice!

Love those Special Service folks in ORD - just one more reason why I'm loyal to AA.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

jaynyc Mar 11, 2004 10:35 am

Hey. Could have been Bush's Secret Service Agents. I doubt they use the airline carts, unless they are equipped with handcuffs http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:

I've been approached twice by Special Services agents in a lounge
</font>

JS Mar 11, 2004 12:31 pm

Is this AA's new marketing initiative -- trying to appeal to lazy people? Quite ingenious, considering there's no shortage of slothfulness these days.

I'll pass, though; I like being thin and fit.