Search

New Promo: DFW-SBA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:10 am
LRD
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
New Promo: DFW-SBA

"Earn double miles for nonstop travel between Santa Barbara and Dallas/Fort Worth"

Code: SBADB
Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Posted here too:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/021110.html

Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:12 am

I don't know how many of you have flown into SBA, but that airport is TINY. I went to school there, and so I know what tha airport can handle. The "gates" (if you want to call them that) are barely commuter plane compatible and I don't think that they could even get a MD-80 to land there. Not only that, I doubt they could get 70 people to fill a CRJ, let alone 100-something on a MD-80 or S-80.
Let American do what they want... it's their money. Not only that, I see a lot of these East Coast locations, so why do you care? It's not like you are going to be flying in or out that much anyway... or are you looking out for Michael Jackson? ;-)
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:50 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold

Ummm, we are talking about airplanes, aren't we?

A bus or train, I could see where East Coasters might not be interested in what's going on with SBA.

You know AA does have a hub in DFW where one can connect to the SBA flight from just
about anywhere?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Welcome to FT....and, huh?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by craigmac680:
I don't know how many of you have flown into SBA, but that airport is TINY. I went to school there, and so I know what tha airport can handle. The "gates" (if you want to call them that) are barely commuter plane compatible and I don't think that they could even get a MD-80 to land there. Not only that, I doubt they could get 70 people to fill a CRJ, let alone 100-something on a MD-80 or S-80.
Let American do what they want... it's their money. Not only that, I see a lot of these East Coast locations, so why do you care? It's not like you are going to be flying in or out that much anyway... or are you looking out for Michael Jackson? ;-)
</font>
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by craigmac680:
</font>

Sorry I thought this was discussed before. Not only can they get a MD80 in, they can get it out as well and did so regularly up to about 1990. The flight went DFW-BAF-SBA. United used to fly 737s and even the 727.

The rest of your post I cannot understand, I'm sorry.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I went to school there</font>
Must not have majored in transportation management.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Forget MD80's and 737's -- There used to be a maintenance base at SBA and they worked on everything up to 747s there. It was great when they would fly those in and out. They did have to dump some fuel over the ocean and they couldn't have any passengers.

You are correct that UA had numerous jet flights and AA did have the one flight to DFW via BFL.

------------------
AA Plat, UA 1P, Marriot Plat, SPG Gold
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum (Former EXP, CK) 6MM, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAXGreg:
Forget MD80's and 737's -- There used to be a maintenance base at SBA and they worked on everything up to 747s there. It was great when they would fly those in and out. They did have to dump some fuel over the ocean and they couldn't have any passengers.

You are correct that UA had numerous jet flights and AA did have the one flight to DFW via BFL.

</font>
Nothin' doin' here! I took a closer look at the offer......after I signed up, and it is for AA EAGLE service.

So the BEST you can hope for is a CRJ, but chances are you will see the same ERJ's that they currently fly out of there now!

I just couldn't imagine 3+ hours on board a RJ. No wonder they are offering a mileage bonus!!!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PAUL PALMER:

Sorry I thought this was discussed before. Not only can they get a MD80 in, they can get it out as well and did so regularly up to about 1990. The flight went DFW-BAF-SBA. United used to fly 737s and even the 727.

The rest of your post I cannot understand, I'm sorry.
</font>
I might take flak for writing this since I am relatively new, but I would rather come out and be heard than run away and hide.
First off, I was writing this as I got ready for work, so it was a little disjointed. I have the next two days off from work, so now I have no excuses :-).

Maybe we have a little bit of an error in understanding... used to and still can are completely different things. BTW: when did you last fly into SBA? My comments about East Coast people (and those from Britain) refers to the fact that yes, this is about airplanes, airlines and frequent flying, but in all honesty, does this affect you? Unless you are planning a mileage run and are concerned about your comfort (which is distinctly possible I suppose), why have such a strong opinion and be critical of American? Let the people who are going to be flying the route weigh in.
For those of you with more snide comments, I was actually a history major, which helps me differentiate between 1990 and 2004. SBA 2004 has no ramps, no maintenance facilities to speak of and services mostly private jets and cargo planes. My comments about MD-80's was more of a reflection that the airport services mostly commuter flights... I would be surprised if 200 people flew out of SBA a day on American Eagle. I said "get an MD-80 in", and probably should have said "fill an MD-80". Chalk it up to quick typing and no proofreading.
Anyway, enough from me. If you have something critical to say, be a little more mature about it and tell me WHY you disagree... I couldn't believe some of the stuff I read when I came home from work and checked to see if there were any posts :-) .
Old Mar 11, 2004, 7:01 am

Sorry to jump back on this bandwagon but I'm afraid that you made certain inaccurate comments and others came back and put you straight. You were not in full possession of the facts, and now you are. I used to fly in and out of SBA quite a lot as I have friends up the road in Goleta. I have to add that we stopped doing this once the flights to DFW disappeared and the Eagle flights to LAX were doing this. My comment was purely on the size of aircraft that can or cannot fly in there. If the economics of running the service are no viable to run a large aircraft - so be it. Lot of people do not like the CRJ - I have no problem with it and far prefer it to the ATR. The longest that I have flown on one is from Vienna to Nice - so nowhere near as far as DFW-SBA.

As you will discover with visiting these boards and Forums, people here have an incredible amount of knowledge about all sorts of places whether they live on the West Coast, the East Coast, of either the USA or the UK. They stagger me with their detailed knowledge of the UK. I visit the USA about 3 times a year and know the Santa Barbara area particularly well. I say this because you seem to be upset with the way that I and others responded to your post. Don't be, we were all new once.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I fly through SBA at least twice a year, unfortunately one of those consistantly being over the holidays, and I'm hoping that this will mean not having to connect in LA to get to the East Coast.

Do they have a SBA-&gt;DFW-&gt;LGA routing or SBA-&gt;DFW-&gt;EWR? Or an SBA-&gt;DFW-&gt;IND?

Then again, I like ERJs; I'd rather have an MD-80 or a widebody, but especially with LRTC, I'll very, very happily take a seat on the 1-side of them over anything except FC on a Boeing narrowbody.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
As you will discover with visiting these boards and Forums, people here have an incredible amount of knowledge about all sorts of places whether they live on the West Coast, the East Coast, of either the USA or the UK. They stagger me with their detailed knowledge of the UK. I visit the USA about 3 times a year and know the Santa Barbara area particularly well. I say this because you seem to be upset with the way that I and others responded to your post. Don't be, we were all new once.</font>
It's fine; I found the post about my degree to be a little childish, but you can't let the little things get to you :-) .
I have been really impressed with the knowledge of the people on the boards, and am more than willing to defer to those who do have more knowledge (like yourself). I was there from 1998-2002 and have friends who work there, thus I have that opinion of the airport.
I think it's fair to move on and put this in the past. Hopefully we can have more good discussion on this :-) .

[This message has been edited by craigmac680 (edited Mar 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by craigmac680 (edited Mar 11, 2004).]
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:11 am

Programs: EXP

I just checked timetables - looks like they're using CR7 - Canadair Regional Jets on this route.

So on the plus side they do tend to cruise about 30-50mph faster, and you'll probably not have to wait for 20mins for a gate after landing (at either end). I flew on Delta CRJ's for two years between SLC and SNA. They're OK for a 90minute flight.

However they are too cramped for a flight of this duration, all coach, no movies and if your in seat 18b, well you get to help everyone open and close the door to the bathroom with is across the 18" isle from you.

All this for $286.50 plus taxes and double miles. Note the double miles DO NOT couunt toward elite status. BTW Delta have a $173RT fare to DFW out of LAX.

Sorry AA, I'm still gonna frequent the LAX route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.