FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Upgrade Question for 2X & 3X Promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/164509-upgrade-question-2x-3x-promotion.html)

srk123 Feb 12, 2004 4:48 pm

Upgrade Question for 2X & 3X Promotion

I have qualified for the 3X promotion by flying 10,000 miles in January. I have an L/N "discount" flight coming up in March, so I wouldn't get any bonus. If I upgrade my seats using my electronic upgrade points ("stickers" for AA veterans), will this change my booking class so I actually receive triple miles despite paying the low-ball fare?

AAgoraku Feb 12, 2004 4:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by srk123:
I have qualified for the 3X promotion by flying 10,000 miles in January. I have an L/N "discount" flight coming up in March, so I wouldn't get any bonus. If I upgrade my seats using my electronic upgrade points ("stickers" for AA veterans), will this change my booking class so I actually receive triple miles despite paying the low-ball fare?</font>
Nope. Unless the agent makes a mistake when checking you in. You should be booked in R for the e-upgrade but the mileage code should reamin L or N -- your originally purchased fare.

free_miles Feb 12, 2004 4:56 pm

Based on my experiences so far, e-upgrades from L/N did result in 3x bonus miles.

Blumie Feb 12, 2004 4:57 pm

Based on others' experiences, we can definitely say, "maybe." (Hey, it's better than "no.")

Val Feb 12, 2004 5:01 pm

Looks closer to yes to me. People are reporting getting bonus for X, and have called in about it. CS rep says AA knows, and they dont care.

I upgraded a domestic flight this afternoon (which I almost never do) to get the miles. Will report back on Monday.

bkkth Feb 12, 2004 6:13 pm

I have upgraded several times and have received the bonus (flying on the L/N fares). And I got the bonus. Going east in about a week I haven't bothered to attempt upgrading one segment. Wonder if I will get the bonus.

AmericanFtWorthTX Feb 12, 2004 7:23 pm

Since we did the 10,000 qualifying miles, on ALL flights we've upgraded (and ALL fares were L) we've gotten the bonus promotion miles. Our boarding passes have a class 'X' on them while the none upgraded legs show class 'L'.

AAdvantage CS agent told me yesterday, 'nice bonus, isn't it?'.

So the answer is yes and if they take them back later, oh well, was nice. The first promotions bonus was back some two weeks now so if they were going to take them back, they've had plenty of time.

I'm wondering how my miles upgrades for this weekend will post. Looked at previous trips over the 'pond', they show class 'C' for the miles upgrade to Biz.

saint Feb 12, 2004 8:22 pm

AAgoraku is wrong. The flights I have upgraded with electronic stickers I have gotten the 3X bonus. My last one was an international ticket that I upgraded with electronic upgrades. I'm going to upgrade an upcoming European trip with VIP03's so I can get the bonus miles. I purposely bought a more expensive V fare to London next week and now feel foolish that I could have just "bartered" for a VIP03 and just used that. Oh well..

number_6 Feb 12, 2004 8:26 pm

I can confirm that the correct answer is "yes" and this is not accidental, but AA policy. If you upgrade an unwritten but deliberate benefit of using the upgrade is becoming eligible for the FLY04 bonus on any fare basis. This makes good business sense for AMR given how much revenue they get from selling upgrades.

pushback Feb 12, 2004 11:57 pm

I qualified on an L fare in January. The final leg of the itinerary that qualified me was also awarded 3x and I did not upgrade.

Val Feb 16, 2004 7:43 am

Results are in.
L segment- No upgrade - No Bonus
L segment- Upgrade - Bonus
02/12/04 TRIPLE MILE PROMOTION 0 2,288 2,288

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Val:
Looks closer to yes to me. People are reporting getting bonus for X, and have called in about it. CS rep says AA knows, and they dont care.

I upgraded a domestic flight this afternoon (which I almost never do) to get the miles. Will report back on Monday.
</font>

saint Feb 16, 2004 8:26 am

Incidentally, does anyone know if American gives the EUR04 bonus if you use VIP03's and upgrade? I know I've been getting FLY04 bonuses when I upgraded but didn't notice the EUR bonus. Thanks.

GumboCook Feb 16, 2004 5:19 pm

saint,

I got the Euro04 bonus on L/N fares last Nov and Dec and I used VIPs. Hopefully this still works.

Cheers,

GumboCook

dancingbear Feb 16, 2004 6:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by saint:
Incidentally, does anyone know if American gives the EUR04 bonus if you use VIP03's and upgrade? I know I've been getting FLY04 bonuses when I upgraded but didn't notice the EUR bonus. Thanks.</font>
Yes in January.

tb Feb 16, 2004 7:13 pm

I have a small dilemma regarding getting double miles for upgrading an L fare. I completed earning the 10,000 qualifying miles for FLY04 by Feb 6th, and I am only planning one trip for a total of 2022 miles (TPA-LGA-TPA) by March 31. But I plan to request an upgrade for the TPA-LGA segment mainly so I can get dinner. Does that mean that I will get double miles (only an additional 1011 miles)? and will I lose out on earning the 5000 miles by the end of March for earning the 1011 mile bonus?

Seems to me that I rather not upgrade so I can get more bonus miles, but then again I would like to have dinner and a few drinks on the plane.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...Tom