AA Partner Award Inventory on CX?

Old Mar 9, 04, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

AA Partner Award Inventory on CX?

Hello All,

I am working to book an AA award seat on CX 873 SFO-HKG, 4/24. As of now I have 4/25 booked but need to go out one day earlier.

I am planning to call every day between now and then to try and change the date. Three q's:

1) Is there a good/better/best time of day to call AA?

2) Any thoughts on the % chance something will open up between now and then?

3) Any other way people can think of to open up a seat?

Thanks in advance for thoughts!
Old Mar 9, 04, 8:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by venture:
Hello All,

I am working to book an AA award seat on CX 873 SFO-HKG, 4/24. As of now I have 4/25 booked but need to go out one day earlier.

I am planning to call every day between now and then to try and change the date. Three q's:

1) Is there a good/better/best time of day to call AA?

2) Any thoughts on the % chance something will open up between now and then?

3) Any other way people can think of to open up a seat?

Thanks in advance for thoughts!
</font>
No other way to get a seat open except to consider flying through LAX or YVR.

The date that you want is a Tuesday, so I think that you have a good chance. Don't expect space to open until the week before or even the day before departure.

Calling AA at a particular time will make NO difference. I do tend to find the AA agents more helpful when I call before midnight and 4AM CST (which I do when I'm in Japan).

Old Mar 9, 04, 8:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The problem is that anyone using Asiamiles will have priority over you in retrieving a seat that becomes free (Asiamiles is CX's own plan, and allows waitlisting, so they snag the open seat when it becomes available). So the question really becomes what are the chances that nobody with Asiamiles will be competing with you for the seat. My own experience is that you have a 50% chance. What class is your award? often you can downgrade and get the date you want.
Old Mar 9, 04, 11:02 pm
Suspended

venture,

Did you try SFO-LAX on AA then LAX-HKG on CX? Getting seating on CX late in the game is more difficult now, but not impossible.

What award class are you booking? If CX is booked, I wonder if AA will JL you to HKG by SFO-NRT-HKG, crossing the newly, less improved zones, but then CX you back? They should. It's "All Airlines", but never the case.
Old Mar 10, 04, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I didn't know that asiamiles allows waitlisting - that does make things more difficult.

Is it possible to check for the seat inventory online at AA.com or do you have to call the agents? Will the agents see the seat inventory before the online engine does?

Old Mar 10, 04, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How about SFO - YVR - HKG? I notice the YVR flight often goes for le$$, and you can get to YVR fairly easily, if the CX seat inventory allows you to change your plans to the earlier date.
Old Mar 10, 04, 8:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
How about SFO-JFK-HKG?

Search this Thread