FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Need advice on YUL-SJC routing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/164487-need-advice-yul-sjc-routing.html)

michellemck99 Mar 9, 2004 7:57 pm

Need advice on YUL-SJC routing

I am looking at a YUL-JFK-SJC routing, connecting flight 4751 (leaves 1:20, arrives 2:50) with flight 231 (leaves 3:50, arrives 7:10).

The one hour layover seems a bit tight to me considering customs and considering that (I think) the Eagle gate is a satellite gate and thus I have to get a bus to the main terminal, but I'm interested in this routing vs. a YUL-ORD-SJC routing (with a longer layover) since I can get ~400 extra elite-eligible miles going through JFK instead of ORD. The other consideration is that the JFK-SJC leg uses LRTC, but I've got seat 10A on hold, so I think that's a non-issue for me.

When I checked out the recent history of which gates these flights are or were assigned to, it appears that the YUL-JFK flight regularly lands at gate 40C in Terminal 9, but the JFK-SJC flight jumps around: yesterday, gate 4 in Terminal 8; today, gate 48 in Terminal 9; tomorrow, gate 46 in Terminal 9.

Also, I won't have checked luggage.

So the question is: is one hour enough time to clear customs and hustle between gates? Or would you take the ORD routing? Thanks a bunch.

rpmkwpw Mar 9, 2004 8:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by michellemck99:
The one hour layover seems a bit tight to me considering customs ...</font>
A non-issue. You pre-clear in YUL.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by michellemck99:
... (I think) the Eagle gate is a satellite gate and thus I have to get a bus to the main terminal...</font>
No bus. It's part of Term 9

...So the question is: is one hour enough time to clear customs and hustle between gates? Or would you take the ORD routing? Thanks a bunch.</font>
If you want the nyc routing, I'd do it if I were you. Even if you have to do T8, you should be fine (assuming you still have the PLT status you indicate). Without bags, barring delays, there shouldn't be a problem. Check the sched for alternates if you misconnect and watch inventories to rebook if necessary.

michellemck99 Mar 10, 2004 11:57 am

Thanks much, rpmkwpw. It didn't even dawn on me that I could pre-clear back in Montreal. I appreciate your help.

ynewman Mar 10, 2004 12:07 pm

I'll second rpmkwpw advice. You will clear customs in Canada, so all you have to worry about is getting from gate to gate.

I usually allow less time connecting to flights to SJC if there is a closely scheduled flight to SFO, since AA will probably be able to protect me there. In your case, there is a 4:15pm JFK-SFO flight, so I wouldn't worry.

Also, sorry to nitpick, but YUL-JFK-SFO is 500+2586 = 3086mi, while YUL-ORD-SFO is 2594mi - a difference of almost 500 miles. If you want to maximize mileage and time is not a concern, try YUL-JFK-LAX-SFO (most YUL-SFO fares allow for that routing).