FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
TWA MD-80s

Each of my last three BOS/DFW flights have been on a TWA MD-80:

AA2063 BOS-DFW 29Feb
AA1338 DFW-BOS 2Mar
AA1352 BOS-DFW 8Mar

Is this a coincidence? A conspiracy (AA moves aircraft around based on my reservations)? Or is AA dedicating these planes to certain routes?

In any event, I've got to make sure to get on board earlier if I want a place to store my bags. The bins in F are so small they fill up with the first few passengers to board.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
The bins in F are so small they fill up with the first few passengers to board.</font>
The bins in Y are even smaller. I have to check my rollaboard (which is pretty small to begin with, and fits in the bins of the AA-purchased MD-80s) when on one of these aircraft. But I deal with whatever I have to. (Edited to add additional information.)

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.

[This message has been edited by studley (edited Mar 08, 2004).]
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:44 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
My last two flights To/From BNA-LAX (1974 and 1307, respectively) have been on old TWA equipment. I need my power ports!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:05 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
We have the same problem in/out of Burbank.

the 2 AM flights out, and the 2 PM flights in are on old TWA MD-80's (I guess that it could be worse, they could be 757s with LRTC! )

The MD-80s have powerports, but they're not wired, and they have tiny bins.

At both BUR and DFW the Gate agents always make an announcement about the Bin sizes. This ususally causes a HUGH rush to board. (I never knew that there could be 150 people in Group 1! )

[This message has been edited by jerryss (edited Mar 09, 2004).]
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:51 am

From my experience JFK-DFW flights are also on the ex-TWA MD-80s. Maybe the smaller bins do create a bigger surge at the gate, but it seems like people always crowd the gate in fear of the overhead anschluss. I do prefer the exit rows on these planes, the armrests are not fixed.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:36 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Recently I too have been suffering from PPDS (Power Port Deprivation Syndrome). Symptoms of PPDS include: low energy, memory lapses, and itchy fingers.

It's especially aggravating because I usually choose flights based on whether they have power ports. PPDS happened again on both segments today: flight #855 and #1309. According to the flight numbers, they were both supposed to have power ports, but in fact both flights were ex-TWA metal with no power ports.

I've never ever seen power ports on a flight that was NOT supposed to have them. Of course, I normally don't book those flights. Yet it's a common occurance for a flight number that's supposed to have power ports to be flown using ex-TWA equipment with no power ports. It's the old switcheroo at its finest.

I'm not complaining about the lack of power ports. I'm only observing that there needs to be a sure-fire way to KNOW if there's gonna be power ports, before boarding the aircraft. I was under the mistaken impression that the flight number was a good clue.

- - -

From AA.com:

*Powerports are offered on all Boeing 777, 767, 737 and Airbus 300 aircraft. Most Boeing 757, Fokker 100 and Boeing Super 80 aircraft offer powerports. Powerports are not available on aircraft with flight number ranges 2800-2999.

- - -

How do you tell for sure if a flight has power ports? For example, does flight #1309 (DFW-SMF) have power ports? (Today it certainly did not).
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Personally, I love the MD-80's. The seats are more comfortable and the bulkhead rocks.

However, I don't usually use my laptop while flying, so the powerports are not an issue.

As for the overheads, they do suck.

lala
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
However, I don't usually use my laptop while flying, so the powerports are not an issue.
</font>
I don't use my laptop either, but they're not the only thing that run off of the ports - iPods, personal DVD players, cd players, etc.

I've been flying between DFW and BDL lately and of the 18 segments I've flown back and forth since Jan. 1st all but three have been TWA metal with no power ports. This is particularly aggravating as the fares between these two dities are exorbitantly high due to a lack of competition.

Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:49 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For GLD and PLT's, after Mar 18th, the two additional F seats on TWA metal might change your opinion of them!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:52 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ALARISstl:
For GLD and PLT's, after Mar 18th, the two additional F seats on TWA metal might change your opinion of them! </font>
Most of the ex-TWA MD-80s don't have 16 F seats anymore. As they are converted to the AA operating certificate (operating flight numbers other than 2800-3199), they are reconfigured to 14 F seats.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.