Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks AA [missed MIA connection]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
What line you get in, what agent you get, if you have luggage to be picked up and rechecked, if you have GE or pre-check, are all variables that can cause swings in time for an international to domestic connection at a US port of entry.
US CBP is certainly not going to process 20 people at one time. For a while my husband and I couldn't go up to the window together as were strangers in the eyes of the US. I can well imagine a group of 20 having vastly different experiences inbound to the US.

If a passenger makes their best effort to clear in time and makes their way expeditiously to their gate and misses their flight on a connection time that AA declares legal why on earth should the passenger be responsible for the cost of overnight/rebooking etc.?
I am with you. I can understand there are rules and time limits. I can also say that the very few times I have pushed these limits, I have always been accommodated better than this. I had a bad SCL-MIA-SFO experience when they had the old high-E gates with their own security. I waited too long at the AC to get in the security line and they were paging me for last call. That one was 100% my fault but I still was able to board.
I also had a connection at ORD where BNA-ORD had everything going wrong, including a jam of the elevator for the Eagle gate valet bags. I know I did not make it to ORD-SFO by T-15 but they let me board. They told me in BNA things did not look good for other flights to SFO or SJC that day.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
None of this matters.

The rule is T-15 for domestic flights. OP admits that he and 4 others arrived at the gate no later than T-12. That is too late. It does not matter whether the seats went out empty, to other paying pax or to nonrevs.
As I said before, just because the rule exists doesn't mean it has to be enforced in all circumstances. And in many, it is not. The GA has considerable discretion here (as you yourself acknowledge below).

AA could well have required OP to book new tickets (presuming that his were not refundable). AA was apparently not late as others made the flight. But, AA rebooked OP and the other 4.
This is absurd. Please cite the portions of the tarrif or conditions of carriage that you believe supports this position.

People may have differing views of what the policy ought to be and certainly there are GA's who break the rules on occasion. But, that does not change the fact that what happened to OP was in line with AA policy or above what was required.
No one is arguing with what the rule is. The question is whether AA provided bad customer service or not. Believe it or not, it's possible to provide bad customer service while still obeying all the rules.

Moreover, as others have pointed out, AA chooses the MCT. If it is unrealistically low, it's a pretty crappy business practice to put the consequences of AA's own rule not working on the customer.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
But GAs have heard the "Mr. and Mrs. Godot are on their way (from MIA USCBP)" before, I'm sure, and they have no way of determining how long that will actually be - particularly if one is diverted to full customs inspection.
The fact that a passenger notifies an airline that s/he will be out of compliance with the published checkin time requirements does not does not operate to waive those requirements.

Originally Posted by JDiver
For us, the message should be "never accept less than two hours to connect from international at MIA", though for myself I'd recommend three hours. I tend to be a "defensive flyer", because stuff inevitably happens.
I agree with JD. Unless it's an airport I've never been in before, I rely on my experience rather than the published MCT. I (and I would venture to say that many FTers) know that MIA is somewhat of a disorganized hellhole. There's an airport which I avoid. And when I can't, I allow in excess of the published MCT.

Originally Posted by jordyn
... I don't think anyone can argue with a straight face that five passengers couldn't board, stow their luggage and get the flight away in twelve minutes.
Nor, I would suggest, could anyone argue with a straight face that 15 out of a party of 20 traveling together made it through C&I but the other five took more than a couple of minutes more to be processed unless there was some particularly unusual happening (like when the guy in front of me at Immigration at GVA turned out to be wanted by Interpol and the police responded when the Immigration officer scanned his passport). In the absence of the OP mentioning anything like that, it's fair to assume that there was nothing unusual.

None of this matters.

The rule is T-15 for domestic flights. OP admits that he and 4 others arrived at the gate no later than T-12. That is too late. It does not matter whether the seats went out empty, to other paying pax or to nonrevs.
This is true. Harsh, but true.

AA could well have required OP to book new tickets (presuming that his were not refundable). AA was apparently not late as others made the flight. But, AA rebooked OP and the other 4. AA had no obligation to provide a room, but it did.
I think that it's important not to lose sight of this. AA did more than it was required to.

If a passenger makes their best effort to clear in time and makes their way expeditiously to their gate and misses their flight on a connection time that AA declares legal why on earth should the passenger be responsible for the cost of overnight/rebooking etc.?
The rule isn't that the passenger must use his/her best efforts to be at the gate in time, the rule requires that the passenger actually be at the gate by the published time.

No one is arguing with what the rule is. The question is whether AA provided bad customer service or not. Believe it or not, it's possible to provide bad customer service while still obeying all the rules.
That's certainly true. But what do you make of AA's providing rebooking and a free hotel room when it appears that it was not required to do so?

Moreover, as others have pointed out, AA chooses the MCT. If it is unrealistically low, it's a pretty crappy business practice to put the consequences of AA's own rule not working on the customer.
Well, then you get back to 75% percent of the party having made it on time.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If only 75% of passengers can make MCT AA needs to revise.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
If only 75% of passengers can make MCT AA needs to revise.
Still not sure how 15 people made it and 5 didn't... particularly when considering that at least two of them apparently held first class tickets (and got off the previous flight first).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Still not sure how 15 people made it and 4 didn't particularly when considering that at least two of them apparently held first class tickets (and got off the previous flight first).
I hate to sound like a broken record but:

What line you get in, what agent you get, if you have luggage to be picked up and rechecked, if you have GE or pre-check, are all variables that can cause swings in time for an international to domestic connection at a US port of entry.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:32 pm

I hate to sound like a broken record but:

You think FIFTEEN members of a family of 20 had GE/PreCheck but 5 (including those in F) did not?

You think FIFTEEN members of a family of 20 flew from Ecuador to Chicago without checked bags?

The only reasonable explanation is that 15 are US citizens and 5 are not and had a longer line... and even if that's the case, it isn't AA's problem.

You know what would happen if they made MCT 2 hours or 2.5 hours? People would cry and moan about how AA wouldn't let them book such and such routing because it violates MCT. We'd never hear the end of people saying that they have GE and it's total Crap that they can't book the itinerary that they want and there's no way they ever need more than 90 minutes at MIA with GE. And then people would cry about how the award booking they want (EZE-MIA-random small town USA) won't work because of the MCT and why should they have to stay overnight in MIA when they are exceedingly likely to make their connection? And it would be even worse if there were 2 flights/day. Imagine MIA-ABC runs at 6am and 6pm, and EZE-MIA lands at 4:20pm. Now imagine the MIA-ABC at 6pm has sAAver availability every day, but 6am the following morning does not. Now they can't book the itinerary AT ALL because they violate the 24 hour rule, and they can't qualify under the Last In/First out rule because a <24 hour First out exists, it just doesn't have sAAver availability. People would absolutely lose their minds, especially when they sucked it up, paid more miles to book 2 separate awards, breezed through Customs in 30 minutes, and watch the flight they wanted to be on board as they walked past it on their way to their hotel for the night.

People need to take some responsibility for their own travel. If you're old and it takes you a while to walk through an airport, you obviously need more than the MCT... if you travel light and have GE, then obviously you can make a 60 minute connection. AA has a MCT (minimum connection time) not a GCT (Guaranteed Connection Time) in place to limit the number of people who miss connections. They actually PLAN on people missing connections when they overbook a flight, it's an integral part of their business model, and to say that they should adjust the MCT so that everybody makes all their flights is ridiculous.

/End Rant.

Last edited by ericgdukie44; Jan 6, 2015 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the MCT should take that in to account.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Still not sure how 15 people made it and 5 didn't... particularly when considering that at least two of them apparently held first class tickets (and got off the previous flight first).
20 people would not be allowed to approach the same agent at the same time. All 20 in the same line runs all sorts of risks too. Breaking the group up and taking different lines was a smart more. It only takes one "event" ahead of (or within) the group to cause a delay. Maybe some needed to do a bio break along the way and only 5 stayed behind. Many possibilities.

Bottom line, 5 missed the cut-off, AA staff was aware they were running late, GA chose to shut them out. Yes, within the rules. I'm having a tough time deciding if risking delaying the departure for everyone onboard vs the 5 late-comers better customer service or not. Now if I was one on those onboard, easy decision, if I was one of the 5, TOTALLY different decision.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408

Bottom line, 5 missed the cut-off, AA staff was aware they were running late, GA chose to shut them out. Yes, within the rules.
Why even have/publish rules if they aren't going to be followed? If you're going to let everything be a judgment call at the gate, then just let that be the rule. But if AA is going to have rules, then they should be followed.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have a problem with the cutoff. I have a problem with the people who think a missed connection of this type should result in a financial hit to the passenger.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by scottsam66
I always cringe when I see someone using the panacea of "trip insurance". Do you have any idea how cumbersome and nearly impossible to collect on a trip insurance policy it really is? Often the scenarios where this is offered as a "shoulda done" solution, are not even covered situations anyway.

Can we please drop the "you shouldn't complain, you should have bought trip insurance" jargon here, once and for all?
+1000.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:15 pm

I don't have a problem with the cutoff. I have a problem with the people who think a missed connection of this type should result in a financial hit to the passenger.
And how do we determine when the passenger was at fault for being slow through Customs and when they were not? Take their word for it?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Within reason yes, you have to take their word. I have made a tight connection while flat out running thru the airport. I am a regular runner who has recently done a half-marathon. Should everyone be held to that standard? How fast should you be required to walk/run before it is your fault?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
And how do we determine when the passenger was at fault for being slow through Customs and when they were not? Take their word for it?
Let's be clear here: you (and we) get to determine jack squat. It's AA's call, and in practice they almost always do take the passenger's word for it in these situations. So those who salivate at the thought of severe retribution being handed down to slow connectors are generally out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.