Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines: A Case Study in Incompetence?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

American Airlines: A Case Study in Incompetence?

Was a nice holiday. Got a Phantom 2 Vision + quadcopter as part of the loot this holiday season to use to map out a property we own and create a 3D model to use in our building plan. We ordered a nice hard plastic case made specifically for this device, with foam formed to fit all the pieces, so that we could take it back to Florida nice and secure when we flew back.

I didn't lock the plastic case for the flight because locks that our government cannot get into are not allowed. Of course.

Flying from Dallas to Pensacola on American Eagle was a real treat. It started off on the ground with the captain making a fabulous decision to delay our hour and a fifteen minute flight so that the flight attendant could get some deodorizing spray to mask the stench from the rear bathroom which was having issues. He said we needed to wait for the spray because the smell was a "safety" issue and we couldn't have that on such a "long" flight. So we waited forty-five minutes on the ground for that spray while an elderly woman complained about the heat that was building up in the jet.

Finally, the flight attendant sprayed the back for fifteen seconds and we took off. An hour late. When we arrived in Pensacola, the vast majority of the flight was pleased to realize that all of our bags had not arrived. Apparently only seven bags had been loaded despite our excessive ground time. So I waited in line for more than thirty minutes to fill out a lost baggage claim for my two pieces of luggage, to include my new quadcopter.

My regular bag was on the next flight to Pensacola. My quadcopter case was still unlocated.

Twenty-four hours later, my two parcels were delivered to my doorstep. My quadcopter case had no mention of TSA opening it, no little sticker to inform me. But the brand new device had been removed from its foam enclosure, and the camera was damaged and detached and twisted. A placard connected to the remote was ripped and removed.

So I'm looking forward to dealing with this airline in my oodles of free time only to be no doubt told that they do not cover electronics or a laundry list of other devices (you know, the kind that are valuable). Given my experience with this airline so far, I don't expect a happy resolution.

And I really have to wonder how a company that can't get the basics right, that doesn't respect private property, can be trusted with the lives of its passengers.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VAPA

And I really have to wonder how a company that can't get the basics right, that doesn't respect private property, can be trusted with the lives of its passengers.
The people flying the aircraft not only want you to live, they want to live, themselves, and won't fly the aircraft if they do not believe it airworthy, no matter what the company thinks.

The people who deal with your luggage are another story.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this is not a trip report I shall move it over to the American Airlines forum.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:36 am

You have a legitimate complaint about the baggage issue. But when you make comments like what I've noted above, you really don't help your case. Do you have any pointers on where US-flagged (the nation, not the airline) aircraft are falling out of the sky?

(not to say that there aren't issues we should be working on, but I have no qualms about getting on any US-flagged plane today)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Twenty-four hours later, my two parcels were delivered to my doorstep. My quadcopter case had no mention of TSA opening it, no little sticker to inform me. But the brand new device had been removed from its foam enclosure, and the camera was damaged and detached and twisted. A placard connected to the remote was ripped and removed.
Not a good thing to have happened for sure

Just trying to figure out why they opened the case, was the flight battery stored in the case as well?

Also re the camera damage, was the gimbal clamp fitted as it should be for transport?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Was a nice holiday. Got a Phantom 2 Vision + quadcopter as part of the loot this holiday season to use to map out a property we own and create a 3D model to use in our building plan. We ordered a nice hard plastic case made specifically for this device, with foam formed to fit all the pieces, so that we could take it back to Florida nice and secure when we flew back.

I didn't lock the plastic case for the flight because locks that our government cannot get into are not allowed. Of course.

Flying from Dallas to Pensacola on American Eagle was a real treat. It started off on the ground with the captain making a fabulous decision to delay our hour and a fifteen minute flight so that the flight attendant could get some deodorizing spray to mask the stench from the rear bathroom which was having issues. He said we needed to wait for the spray because the smell was a "safety" issue and we couldn't have that on such a "long" flight. So we waited forty-five minutes on the ground for that spray while an elderly woman complained about the heat that was building up in the jet.

Finally, the flight attendant sprayed the back for fifteen seconds and we took off. An hour late. When we arrived in Pensacola, the vast majority of the flight was pleased to realize that all of our bags had not arrived. Apparently only seven bags had been loaded despite our excessive ground time. So I waited in line for more than thirty minutes to fill out a lost baggage claim for my two pieces of luggage, to include my new quadcopter.

My regular bag was on the next flight to Pensacola. My quadcopter case was still unlocated.

So I'm looking forward to dealing with this airline in my oodles of free time only to be no doubt told that they do not cover electronics or a laundry list of other devices (you know, the kind that are valuable). Given my experience with this airline so far, I don't expect a happy resolution.

You have legitimate grounds for a complaint to American Airlines for the damage caused to your device. I would explore making a claim to cover the cost of the repair or replacement if warranted.

As for the lateness of the flight to resolve bathroom odors, on the older craft this is a problem. In your opinion it may not have been required, but the pax sitting in the last two rows most likely disagreed with you.

Packages get damaged in flight and delays for maintenance happen. No one likes it, but I'm not sure this qualifies as an event that brands AA incompetent.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So, who do you think opened the case? I'm assuming it was properly labeled on the outside (preferably two labels or tags, because they can come off), so the packing wasn't opened to determine ownership. TSA a might want to inspect, but otherwise I cant imagine why AA personnel would want access.

I use TSA approved locks when checking bags in the USA - and a baggage strap (also with TSA-approved lock in case zippers or other fasteners fail, because they can.

Sorry your quad copter was damaged. Did you have excess valuation coverage? Will your homeowner's or purchasing credit card cover the damage?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Sorry your quad copter was damaged. Did you have excess valuation coverage? Will your homeowner's or purchasing credit card cover the damage?
Sadly a rather pertinent question given the exclusions in AA's checked bag cover for photographic and electronic equipment

I do from time to time fly with similar equipment, and I always remove any photographic component from the model and pack batteries in my carry-on.

Removing the camera from the gimbals is best practice anyway as the gimbals are quite delicate and should not be subjected to the stress of air travel with the camera in place, even though the camera in this case is very light indeed.

Fitting the transport clamp does help, but for safety I still prefer to remove the camera completely due to AA's exclusions on cover.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have to pick your fights and the first issue is simply a non-issue. It is the Captain's decision to hold the flight and while you may not think it is a big deal, it is a big deal.

As to the second issue, you are likely SOL with AA as there is a specific exclusion in the COC for electronics and the like. You also have no way of knowing whether this is a TSA or an AA issue.

You may certainly pursue a claim through AA, but do not expect anything other than perhaps a small customer service gesture. You can certainly try your travel/baggage insurance (possibly through the CC you used for the ticket, homeowners or standalone) but you may find that if the item is excluded under the COC, that it is excluded under most policies.

Water under the bridge for OP, but a good alternative here is to use FedEx/UPS Ground. Takes a couple of days, is cheap and can be insured.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Checked baggage or gate checked baggage?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Not a good thing to have happened for sure

Just trying to figure out why they opened the case, was the flight battery stored in the case as well?

Also re the camera damage, was the gimbal clamp fitted as it should be for transport?
The battery is on the other side of the device, so that wouldn't factor. The gimbal clamp was fitted properly. It's still on there, just cocked off at a 45 degree angle and I don't know how the clamp can be removed now. It appears to be stuck.

Originally Posted by george 3
You have legitimate grounds for a complaint to American Airlines for the damage caused to your device. I would explore making a claim to cover the cost of the repair or replacement if warranted.

As for the lateness of the flight to resolve bathroom odors, on the older craft this is a problem. In your opinion it may not have been required, but the pax sitting in the last two rows most likely disagreed with you.

Packages get damaged in flight and delays for maintenance happen. No one likes it, but I'm not sure this qualifies as an event that brands AA incompetent.
American Airlines told me they don't cover electronics and because the pelican case wasn't damaged (because somebody opened it up and damaged what the case protects), they can't cover it.

I'm sure some may have disagreed with me re: the odor. I'm not an airline pilot, but making us spend an extra forty-five minutes on the ground with the odor, for an hour and fifteen minute flight, seems an odd course of action to me. Certainly doesn't appear to be a safety issue. But again I'm not an airline pilot, although I am a military pilot with 18 years of experience.

I think this shows AA is incompetent. If they can't handle basics like this correctly, then I have to question how they handle maintenance and the rest.

Originally Posted by jayer
Checked baggage or gate checked baggage?
Checked baggage.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 6, 2015 at 3:11 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts from same member - please use multi-quote feature. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:20 pm

I think this shows AA is incompetent. If they can't handle basics like this correctly, then I have to question how they handle maintenance and the rest.
You've insinuated this twice now. Do you have conclusive evidence that AA's maintenance procedures are inadequate in a way that endangers passengers' lives, or are you just libeling them (in a public forum, no less)? Bold move if it's the latter.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Just trying to figure out ...
... why you didn't fit the case with a hasp and use a TSA padlock?

American Airlines told me they don't cover electronics ...
Been that way for years.

I hope that you don't think that AA is the only carrier with baggage problems. I hate to be harsh, but you didn't lock the case when you could have. You didn't buy extra insurance when you could have. While I certainly understand the disappointment you must feel, it's always been my opinion that people have to assume some responsibility for their stuff.

What did your homeowner's carrier say?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Sorry to hear about the damage. Sounds like the TSA opened it although they used to put cards or stickers inside suitcases. Not sure if they still do. Did you find anything from the TSA? Seems more likely it was TSA opened rather than AA.

As for how this applies to maintenance, I'm sure that in 18 years as a military pilot, you've had issues with Finance and S1. We all do. I suspect you wouldn't attribute those issues to your maintenance crew. As for a safety of flight issue with the smell, it doesn't sound like a direct issue although I might have been a significant issue for the passengers in the rear. For a long flight, would you risk passengers raising health concerns? What if they needed to shift seats, would it impact weight and balance?

And ... you raise a good issue. I don't know how we "insure" that the TSA doesn't open and mispack a checked bag.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Sorry to hear about the damage. Sounds like the TSA opened it although they used to put cards or stickers inside suitcases. Not sure if they still do. Did you find anything from the TSA? Seems more likely it was TSA opened rather than AA.
TSA still uses those paper notices. I find them from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.