Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Sorry to keep bombarding this thread with questions regarding upgrades to LHR, but...

When do upgrades on AA38 MIA-LHR usually clear? Requested almost one month out exactly for a midweek flight. Loads in J and Y MCE seem indicative that I'll get the upgrade, so should it come through a few days before departure?

Last edited by brewdog11; Apr 26, 2015 at 1:58 pm Reason: corrected flight #
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Flying to PVG on 12/18, 12/19, or 12/20 (the Fri-Sun before Christmas) with a companion. No C space open obviously right now, but are my chances best if I route via ORD (772), LAX (772), or DFW (788)? Which day would be best? The usual mantra for TPAC seems to be "avoid Saturday", but I wonder if this particular weekend is unique because of the holiday season.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Flying to PVG on 12/18, 12/19, or 12/20 (the Fri-Sun before Christmas) with a companion. No C space open obviously right now, but are my chances best if I route via ORD (772), LAX (772), or DFW (788)? Which day would be best? The usual mantra for TPAC seems to be "avoid Saturday", but I wonder if this particular weekend is unique because of the holiday season.

Thanks!
Data points. YMMV. I have flown the route from both LAX and ORD on Fridays and Saturdays with a 100% SWU success rate. I hear DFW is a harder sell due to the Dreamliner factor, but I have no direct personal knowledge of this.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Sorry to keep bombarding this thread with questions regarding upgrades to LHR, but...

When do upgrades on AA38 MIA-LHR usually clear? Requested almost one month out exactly for a midweek flight. Loads in J and Y MCE seem indicative that I'll get the upgrade, so should it come through a few days before departure?

A lot of upgrades seem to clear about three days prior to departure
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
NRT/PVG-ORD Upgrade (c) availability, release time

I am looking to book a round-trip from Boston to Hong Kong over Christmas, and I am debating between HKG-BOS direct on CX or HKG-PVG/NRT-ORD-BOS on AA.

I know according to AA's current seat map, it's still the old 772 Business — But a 6-deg angled lie flat still beats Y seats TPAC, right?

It would be awesome if anybody know hows often AA release C-inventory on these routes, and the likely hood of getting an upgrade? (Preferred seats are pretty wide open, so I supposed not very at the moment)

P.s. Also would be great if someone knows if the 772 on these routes will be retrofitted before my trip

Thank you!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryanlyma
I am looking to book a round-trip from Boston to Hong Kong over Christmas, and I am debating between HKG-BOS direct on CX or HKG-PVG/NRT-ORD-BOS on AA.

I know according to AA's current seat map, it's still the old 772 Business — But a 6-deg angled lie flat still beats Y seats TPAC, right?

It would be awesome if anybody know hows often AA release C-inventory on these routes, and the likely hood of getting an upgrade? (Preferred seats are pretty wide open, so I supposed not very at the moment)

P.s. Also would be great if someone knows if the 772 on these routes will be retrofitted before my trip

Thank you!
Its pretty straightforward: either the upgrade space is available at time of booking and you can reserve at that time OR upgrades begin to get processed approximately 3 to 4 days prior to departure.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Its pretty straightforward: either the upgrade space is available at time of booking and you can reserve at that time OR upgrades begin to get processed approximately 3 to 4 days prior to departure.
Not always. I had EZE-JFK clear from the waitlist a month out in Feb.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Not always. I had EZE-JFK clear from the waitlist a month out in Feb.
How far ahead did you request the swu?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
If you are speaking of all upgrades, not just international, that isn't always the case. We were waitlisted for Z space on a flight from LAX to LIH and I set up an Expert Flyer alert. I called AA and the agent got the seats for me. I do wonder what would have happened if I hadn't called, though. And EF showed one C available for yesterday's JFK-LAX flight - AA's computer upgraded me while I was on the phone with the agent, who had just said that she couldn't do anything for me.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
My upgraded between ORD and DFW (my main routes of late) have been clearing at about the T-24h mark as a PLAT booking a couple of weeks out. Then, over the past couple of trips they've been clearing at the 72 hour mark.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
This past weekend LAX/LAS RT for me and one non-status companion cleared at T-5 on the outbound and at the gate on the return.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
How far ahead did you request the swu?
3-4 months out.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I had my Mesa dba as AE flight LAX-DEN upgraded days in advance. Pre AAdvantage consolidation weren't these flights only eligible for AA flyers at the 24 hour mark?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I had my Mesa dba as AE flight LAX-DEN upgraded days in advance. Pre AAdvantage consolidation weren't these flights only eligible for AA flyers at the 24 hour mark?
No. If it was AE then it follows the AA rules for AA flyers.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
SWU requested Dec '14, DFW - GRU, flight is T-21 days, today cleared from Y - J, out bound only...still wait listed on return which is about T-27 days.

This outbound, now is showing C7 on EF!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.