Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LVBrit20
Guys
My upcoming round trip journey has a full Y class on the MIA-LHR leg on AA56 on 27Feb.
I am EXP and don't want to waste a SWU for that leg if I am likely to be upgraded as I have a full Y class sector.
Can anyone advise whether this complimentary upgrade is likely to happen ?
I have never had this situation before.
Thanks !
Complimentary upgrades are only for domestic flights, so you'd be dependent on there being an oversold situation and nobody else wanting to upgrade or pay for an upgrade in front of you.

I'd use a SWU if I were you.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:51 pm

Upgrade List Question

After checking at the airport for domestic flight, I was told I was #2 on the upgrade list with 3 seats available. I am a platinum. In what scenarios (other than travel disruption) could another platinum jump ahead of me?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chet
After checking at the airport for domestic flight, I was told I was #2 on the upgrade list with 3 seats available. I am a platinum. In what scenarios (other than travel disruption) could another platinum jump ahead of me?
Y/B fare. Connecting passenger.

Also - the list will change as other pax check-in.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Question

A plt who submitted his/her initial request before you but checked in after you will end up higher on the list.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Besides the already mentioned scenarios, by using a miles+copay upgrade at the last moment.

Two weeks ago. It was F1 at T-4, I was #1 on the upgrade list. 30 minutes later the F seat was gone, I remained #1 on the list throughout and flew in Y.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by LVBrit20
Guys
My upcoming round trip journey has a full Y class on the MIA-LHR leg on AA56 on 27Feb.
I am EXP and don't want to waste a SWU for that leg if I am likely to be upgraded as I have a full Y class sector.
Can anyone advise whether this complimentary upgrade is likely to happen ?
I have never had this situation before.
Thanks !
Very common. Y over sells but they have open F seats. There is undoubtedly multiple people with upgrade requests in (miles or SWUs).... You will see more seats on the map, but a low number of F for sale. Like F1, F2.
Revenue management leaves it like this until day of. Maybe they sell a few high $$ F seats, but they dont want to move people of Y a that will just allow their system to further oversell Y- but then they wont have F space to move them into!

Replace J for F and still applies.

I would not count on an op up as they would upgrade plats and golds before your free op. 22 days away you might not clear at this point.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA50 DFW-LHR 2/6/15 Upgrade List

If anyone here has access to the PALL list I'd be very interested to know what happened with upgrades on AA50 (DFW-LHR) yesterday 2/6.

I'm not claiming any shenanigans, I'd just like to know how the one upgrade that was processed came to be processed (Pax = CHO, A). TIA.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:35 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
AA183 on 2/9

Just UPG'd on Sat like 48 hr before flight time, and seat map is wide open. Of course, with weekend UPG's they never finish the ticketing so a call is necessary to get seats and preorder meals. Must be a case of rampant optimism or unrealistic expectations in there somewhere.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Upgrade US Reservation on AA metal with AA status?

Apologies if this was covered somewhere but I have this situation on Sunday and can't seem to find an answer.

Due to a pricing mismatch between AA and US, for a recent RT from DFW, I booked the outbound on AA.com and the return on the US website. Both flights are on AA metal. As an AA Platinum (no US status) I was able to request the upgrade on my outbound, but is it possible to get upgraded on my return (AA flight # booked on USair.com)?

Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:53 pm

When you called, what did they say?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Texanewyorican
Apologies if this was covered somewhere but I have this situation on Sunday and can't seem to find an answer.

Due to a pricing mismatch between AA and US, for a recent RT from DFW, I booked the outbound on AA.com and the return on the US website. Both flights are on AA metal. As an AA Platinum (no US status) I was able to request the upgrade on my outbound, but is it possible to get upgraded on my return (AA flight # booked on USair.com)?

The flight you booked on us web site was it booked with aa or us flight code? If us then you can upgrade at gate only. If space is available...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Texanewyorican
(AA flight # booked on USair.com)?
:
Originally Posted by kauppias
The flight you booked on us web site was it booked with aa or us flight code? I.
He calls and asks to be upgraded
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Is there anyway to see how many people are waitlisted for a upgrade on a given flight?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is there anyway to see how many people are waitlisted for a upgrade on a given flight?
If it's a domestic upgrade, the mobile apps will show the upgrade list about 4 hours out. It is fluid and could change before departure, and, if a 3 class plane, will include upgrades to both business and first. Aside from that, an agent may say it "looks good" but I would not expect them to provide you with an exact place in line.

Tom in Athens
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:33 pm

Not a a time point at which you can do anything about it!

In the weeks and days prior to a flight, even AA agents cannot easily see the list. They are not supposed to share that info with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.