Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by frudd38
Thanks, that assumption of few elites in Y is helpful, knowing Y is oversold but the "preferred" seats have not been selected. My goal is to get home earlier to save a day of work instead of arriving in the evening, although I think my chances are good with upgrading on the 77w.

sukn, why do you assume it's less than 5 EXP on the upgrade list?
It's not an assumption.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AA PLT/1MM
Can we talk Miles+CoPay Upgrades?

Just booked SFO-JFK-MXP-JFK-LAX-SMF last night out 4/8 back 4/18. Called to request miles+copay upgrade (C) and was, of course, waitlisted.

1. EF shows 7s across the board on all flights in all classes.
2. Seat map shows almost 100% open seats in C
3. MCE seats appear relatively open as does Y in general.

I understand they'd rather get 5K/seat rather than the copay amount...but what kind of capacity controls are in place? Anyone have any experience on these routes?

4/8 AA18 SFO-JFK
4/9 AA198 JFK-MXP
4/18 AA199 MXP-JFK, AA117 JFK-LAX, AA2616 LAX-SMF (Eagle/Envoy single cabin)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Just booked LAX-LHR (2/14) and LHR-LAX (2/20) on the 77W. J and Y look decently empty when I was waitlisted for SWU, but then again it's one month out.

The only other 77W route I been on was DFW-HKG, but that was a disaster. What are past experiences like for LHR on the 77W?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by UAL1200
Just booked LAX-LHR (2/14) and LHR-LAX (2/20) on the 77W. J and Y look decently empty when I was waitlisted for SWU, but then again it's one month out.

The only other 77W route I been on was DFW-HKG, but that was a disaster. What are past experiences like for LHR on the 77W?
One month is about my cutoff for LAX-LHR-LAX. I was at 3.5 weeks and was the last EXP cleared at the gate. I was at 4 weeks and was not going to make the cut but got lucky. Having said that, those two flights look very open- in MCE, in J and in F.

I predict you will clear in the week before, maybe day 4-5 out.

GL
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by larreajoe
Just booked SFO-JFK-MXP-JFK-LAX-SMF last night out 4/8 back 4/18. Called to request miles+copay upgrade (C) and was, of course, waitlisted.

I understand they'd rather get 5K/seat rather than the copay amount...but what kind of capacity controls are in place? Anyone have any experience on these routes?

4/8 AA18 SFO-JFK
4/9 AA198 JFK-MXP
The Italy flights are a tough upgrade b/c there are so few direct flights from the states. Mid week makes it a bit better but I still wouldn't expect for the ugprade to clear until very close to departure. That's just standard for these routes.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Somewhat related, I'm standing by for an earlier flight to maximize upgrade chances. To be clear, even though I'm now on the standby list for the earlier flight, I am still on the upgrade list in the same order for my original flight, right?

I realize I need to clear the standby to be added to the upgrade list on the earlier flight.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp

4/8 AA18 SFO-JFK
4/9 AA198 JFK-MXP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The Italy flights are a tough upgrade b/c there are so few direct flights from the states. Mid week makes it a bit better but I still wouldn't expect for the ugprade to clear until very close to departure. That's just standard for these routes.
NYC is a major financial center. Milan is also a major financial center. From the airline's perspective, it is reasonable to expect last minute revenue booking in business class. If they can collect $5K/ticket, AA RM will wait and save those seats for business travelers with a generous travel expense account.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
NYC is a major financial center. Milan is also a major financial center. From the airline's perspective, it is reasonable to expect last minute revenue booking in business class. If they can collect $5K/ticket, AA RM will wait and save those seats for business travelers with a generous travel expense account.
Good point. Will add 500-mile upgrade requests for the domestic legs just in case.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:04 pm

Good point. Will add 500-mile upgrade requests for the domestic legs just in case.
Turns out you can't have both a mileage upgrade request AND a 500-mile upgrade request...according to the agent.

I *guess* that makes sense?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by UAL1200

I was updated back and forth in late September. Received my JFK-LHR upgrade at check-in and at T-100 for the return. There's a thread discussing 77W experiences if you are looking for that too.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Somewhat related, I'm standing by for an earlier flight to maximize upgrade chances. To be clear, even though I'm now on the standby list for the earlier flight, I am still on the upgrade list in the same order for my original flight, right?
I've not tried that so don't have the answer. I think your biggest risk may be that they clear the upgrade list before they clear the standby list, and if there's no upgrade seats left you'll be riding in coach after you clear the standby list.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by tom911
I've not tried that so don't have the answer. I think your biggest risk may be that they clear the upgrade list before they clear the standby list, and if there's no upgrade seats left you'll be riding in coach after you clear the standby list.
Yes, but that's not a risk, because when you clear the standby list, you don't get taken off your original flight until you actually board the new flight. So if I don't like my seat/don't get upgraded, I simply don't board.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Turns out you can't have both a mileage upgrade request AND a 500-mile upgrade request...according to the agent.

I *guess* that makes sense?
I've been "OK" with this when I've requested EXP Comp upgrades at time of booking and then waitlisted for SWU. Both seem to stay in place. But i've read of other folks not being able to have both.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I'm curious to see how this goes. Requested miles+copay upgrade on DFW-MAD early march for wife and I. J cabin wide open at the moment, only 3/28 taken. Amazingly when I was tracking this flight last week EF was showing C2. Unfortunately couldn't snag those as had to confirm our plans yet. MCE is little more than half full (was about the same last week), so I like our chances. Interesting though that there was C space available despite many seats occupied in MCE.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Does anyone have any predictions for 2015?

I did a quick search using Experflyer and searched maybe 100 dates, and couldn't find a single Dallas - London "C" space. Unfortunately from my location I am forced to fly DFW-LHR to get to most European locations unless I want a forced night layover before I start my trip, and when I return.

In past years you have hear me whine about less "C" space. However I was usually able to find at least 6 days in a year with "C" space availability. I also complained about a huge reduction in the saver business award space American Airlines was releasing.

Last year was a burn year for me. I only managed about 15K on AA, so I obviously didn't requalify as Ex Plat. so I am not up to date with current conditions with regards to SWU availability.

However, fond memories of flying to Europe on AA have made me reconsider chasing the AA Ex Platinum status once again.

With the 787's and the worse ratio of Y-J will that make it harder too?

AA is also retrofitting many aircraft. So although improving the hard product, again a worse Y/J ratio.

What do you think 2015 will bring? Any predictions for the year? Strategies - I used to just book flights that had confirmable "C"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.