Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask etc. brag (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask etc. brag (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier1K, AA Exec Platinum
I made it to Executive Platinum through Status match

Thanks to this forum to find out about the status match from AA. I have Premier 1K and EXP now.

I have two international trips coming up in next couple of months. In order to maximize EQP to keep my Elite status, I was wondering if there is any site where I can plug-in my city pair to find out EQP on both UA and AA based on my elite status. I don't have restriction on airline to fly, I can pick AA or UA but would go with the airline which will help me reach Elite status faster. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by travelgeektx
Thanks to this forum to find out about the status match from AA. I have Premier 1K and EXP now.

I have two international trips coming up in next couple of months. In order to maximize EQP to keep my Elite status, I was wondering if there is any site where I can plug-in my city pair to find out EQP on both UA and AA based on my elite status. I don't have restriction on airline to fly, I can pick AA or UA but would go with the airline which will help me reach Elite status faster. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated!
gcmap gives you mileage between city pairs that's pretty accurate for AA. There are some differences, but not much.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
AA EXP Questions

I am interested in the AA EXP, but I wonder whether it is useful to someone who is much more frequently travelling BritAir metal, currently based in UK.
Occasionally also get to travel to Spain ( Iberia )

Is it possible to confirm does the AA EXP:

-facilitate a cabin bump on BA flights? I assume prob no.
-facilitate a luggage allowance if travelling on BA if in the back?
-facilitate lounge access if travelling on BA if in the back? I assume prob yes
-facilitate lounge access if travelling with an alternative cheap ticket operator? I assume prob yes
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Flying Bat
I am interested in the AA EXP, but I wonder whether it is useful to someone who is much more frequently travelling BritAir metal, currently based in UK.
Presumably you mean British Airways, often referred to as BA. I'm from the USA, but I understand that they don't like being called BritAir. Unless, of course, you're referring to Brittany Air International (DB), a regional operator for AF which is often referred to as BritAir. However, since your profile mentions that you are "Brit Diamond," and the highest level in Avios is Gold, makes me wonder. DB, however, is part of AF's Flying Blue, which also has no Diamond level. Interesting....

Regarding the rest of your post, as AA EXP, you will be One World Emerald which does get you various benefits on OW member carriers, of which BA is one. They include using the F checkin counter at OW carriers regardless of class of travel, day of travel access to OW F and J lounges when traveling outside the US. For specifics, consult online info at AA, OW or your operating carrier.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 13, 2012 at 7:19 am
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Welcome to the AAdvantage forum, Flying Bat. I'm going to suggest that you do some research on your own on some of these questions as they're basic to the program and you'll very likely find information surrounding the program that you didn't even know you didn't know.

The first thing I'll suggest is spending some time with the FAQ, which is linked at the top of our forum. It's full of lots of frequent questions and answers, including answers to some of your basic questions. You'll also find a wealth of information on the AA Wiki, especially on the page that outlines elite status levels. Finally, for your BA specific questions, you'll want to check out BA's website and the BAEC forum here on FT. If you search through those resources and are still confused, the BAEC forum is probably the best place to broach the first three questions, while I'll save you time on the final question and say that no AA status level grants lounge access when not flying on a oneworld carrier. Good luck!

PS: BritAir is a subsidiary of AirFrance-KLM, and they do regional flying on their owners' behalf. I believe the airline you're referring to is British Airways, aka BA; calling them anything else will likely get you a reaction ranging from confusion to insult, especially here in the UK.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 13, 2012 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
This chart is quite useful

-facilitate a cabin bump on BA flights? in my 10+ years as EXP, and many more years at PLT, flying BA an average of 12 times/year, I've never once rec'd an op up

-facilitate a luggage allowance if travelling on BA if in the back? Yes

-facilitate lounge access if travelling on BA if in the back? Yes

-facilitate lounge access if travelling with an alternative cheap ticket operator? No
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bdemaria
This chart is quite useful

-facilitate a cabin bump on BA flights? in my 10+ years as EXP, and many more years at PLT, flying BA an average of 12 times/year, I've never once rec'd an op up

-facilitate a luggage allowance if travelling on BA if in the back? Yes

-facilitate lounge access if travelling on BA if in the back? Yes

-facilitate lounge access if travelling with an alternative cheap ticket operator? No
Just flew BA from del to ORD via LHR in paid business. Got an op up to first for both the del to LHR and then LHR to ORD leg. Even allowed me to visit the concord room.

So I guess it does help to be DP on AA flying BA
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cover point
Just flew BA from del to ORD via LHR in paid business. Got an op up to first for both the del to LHR and then LHR to ORD leg. Even allowed me to visit the concord room.

So I guess it does help to be DP on AA flying BA
Just proves one of the most basic FT rules:

"it doesn't matter how unlikely something is, it will have happened to at least one person reading the thread"
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Mark_T

"it doesn't matter how unlikely something is, it will have happened to at least one person reading the thread"
Well 2 segments in a row? It's got to have something to do with the exp status. I am sure after upgrading their own status members they go to one world status.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark_T

Indeed, I knew when I stated that it is highly unlikely for an AA EXP to get an Op Up on BA that someone would state their recent success in getting an Op Up.

It's got to have something to do with the exp status. I am sure after upgrading their own status members they go to one world status.
Yes, that would make sense - but the point remains the same: an EXP traveling on BA should not expect an Op Up
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I believe op ups from WT+ to CW and CW to F are more likely than WT to WT+, or at least that's my understanding and the sum of what I've read here and on the BA forum. That said, I don't think they're a regular occurrence.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by bdemaria

Indeed, I knew when I stated that it is highly unlikely for an AA EXP to get an Op Up on BA that someone would state their recent success in getting an Op Up.

Yes, that would make sense - but the point remains the same: an EXP traveling on BA should not expect an Op Up
I travel BA regularly as an AA EXP and have conditioned myself never to expect a BA op up.

I was coming back to LHR from GRU on Saturday and I normally ask at check in if they have any special offers on upgrade from WTP to J as they sometimes do this. I was pleasantly surprised to hear ' you are already in business sir...'. even more so when I would have paid up to 600 GBP to do so.

First time however but very pleasant on a long sector.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Great responses, I now have a much better expectation of the flavour here.

'Just in case' anyone wanted to know the baggage policy, it seems to be suitcases are £34 each up to 10.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Bat
'Just in case' anyone wanted to know the baggage policy, it seems to be suitcases are £34 each up to 10.
This charge would be for bags #3 through 10, as the first two are free for EXP/OW Emerald, as clearly stated on the BA website:

British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members, AA Advantage Executive Platinum and Platinum members and Iberia Plus Platinum and Gold members can check in 2 bags in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater.

British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members, AA Advantage Executive Platinum and Iberia Plus Platinum members can take the maximum weight of 32kg per bag without paying the heavy bag charge. This applies to all passengers travelling on the same booking.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Just made EXP,

101,217 Miles, 61 Segments, 66,705 Points.......

Now I have 18.5 Months to enjoy it before being sent back to Platinum.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.