Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask etc. brag (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask etc. brag (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Explore
I really appreciate the helpful responses here from tom911 and catmndu. There's always another question, however:

I'm SWU-waitlisted on LHR-LAX but chose the free sticker upgrade option on LAX-SFO. Am I any less likely to score the oceanic upgrade because of this mixture?

And another.....

If you're prepared to use a systemwide for a transcontinental leg, but would prefer a free sticker upgrade, do folks leave the sticker upgrade box unchecked until 96/100 hours before flight time, then check it? Do systemwides have upgrade priority within this window?

Thanks!
For your first question it doesn't matter. A friend of mine was waitlisted for a SCL-DFW-TUS flight. The DFW-TUS flight upgraded at around the 100hr mark as a complementary upgrade. The SCL-DFW flight clear at about the 24 hour mark.

I'm a new EXP so I don't have much experience with question 2 but my tendency would be to check the box regardless. It's always possible that X inventory will open up before C will (see above answer).
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Earning EXP the hard way

Booked what should have been a quick, painless MR from SAN-MIA Dec 30 - 31 to earn EXP for the first time this year. Did not get an upgrade on the SAN-MIA redeye (0-3 this year), unable to clear the standby list on 3 consecutive MIA-LAX flights to get home at a reasonable hour. Currently hanging out at the D-15 Admiral's Club, wasting the afternoon, waiting for the confirmed 7 pm nonstop to SAN. Only good news is that upgrades on the return are MUCH easier...

As I expect to pass 2 MM lifetime in 2014, earning LT PLT, my MR days are likely over, will be my only EXP experience.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT Gold and current EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Long Road

On 12/27, I completed DFW-ICN-DFW. That topped me off to requalify for EXP. In all years past I used promotions to make it. This year, I traveled more and further for business than ever but still needed (2) DFW-SEA-DFW MRs in addition to the Korea trip. I have more appreciation for what it takes to accrue 100k BIS miles. I'm not sure I'll be able to do this again, but we'll see what 2014 holds.

Happy New Year to all FTers!!!!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX
I have recently become EX-Plat, but when booking a new reservation online after login in from my AAdvantage account, I do not see option to "tick" the comp upgrade . All it shows is 500 mile Upgrade option with 4 such instrument required per person. Am I missing anything?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just click the box. Nothing will be deducted come flight time.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by tom911
Just click the box. Nothing will be deducted come flight time.
Thanks. The itinerary includes international segment. Would checking this box online affect the SWU request done on the phone?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For the current thread, please follow / post to: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

/AA Moderation Team

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.