Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
These are older, archived posts from the original thread: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
Thanks everyone for the info. Really hoping to catch some F seats at least Lax-HKG. I'm not as concerned on the Bali flights. We're actually flying on to Manado from there.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:27 am

Booking on partner cx

I'd like to book a couple f seats on cx for next year with a stopover so itll be hkg to sfo then a month later i will fly to jfk. When i call in with this one way booking, it'll only cost me 67500 miles right?

Any idea what the fees and taxes are? Hi dont think i can book online so i will be charged a phone booking fee right? Can i ask them to waive it due to the inability to book online? Whats the call in. Booking fee anyway?
Old May 13, 2012, 5:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hqly2001
Any idea what the fees and taxes are? Hi dont think i can book online so i will be charged a phone booking fee right? Can i ask them to waive it due to the inability to book online? Whats the call in. Booking fee anyway?
(1) Enter your itinerary on the ITA website and get a quote of the taxes, etc.
(2) You will be charged the fee.
(3) It will not be waived unless you are EXP.
(4) $25.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
(1) Enter your itinerary on the ITA website and get a quote of the taxes, etc.
(2) You will be charged the fee.
(3) It will not be waived unless you are EXP.
(4) $25.
Thx austin!
Old May 19, 2012, 6:42 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Ran into a couple of unexpected problems today

I flew the ORD-PVG flight in F on AA metal. Absolute disaster!!

No IFE for the whole 14 hr flight and on top of that I couldn't use my laptop because they don't have a 110 v powerport at their fancy First class seat.

What about my return flight on Cathay, can I expect them to have 110v powerport available for laptops?
Old May 19, 2012, 7:04 am
Suspended

You could've figured out which powerports would be offered well ahead of the flight and adjusted accordingly.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I flew the ORD-PVG flight in F on AA metal. Absolute disaster!!
No IFE for the whole 14 hr flight and on top of that I couldn't use my laptop because they don't have a 110 v powerport at their fancy First class seat.
What about my return flight on Cathay, can I expect them to have 110v powerport available for laptops?
Agree with Austinrunner, check into the power situation in advance. But the best policy is to never assume that all airlines and A/C have 110V, and simply travel with both AC and DC adapters. To answer your final questions, yes Cathay will have a 110V (and 220V) outlet, conveniently located in your suite.

Old May 19, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by idainc
Using the CX PNR. I was not able to get into my Res. I called AA and they got the seats I wanted - or so I'm told.
Update to my situation: I did call AA back, and they were able to put me in those choice seats. It shows in my reservation and the seats now shown taken on EF and the ones I had put us in show open. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Upgrade from J to F on CX?

If I booked a J class flight on CX using my miles, can I upgrade at a later date to an F?

Thanks
Old May 20, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
If you have the miles and there is F award availability, then yes. Just call and ask.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
if this becomes available, jump on it. CX F is amazing!
Old May 22, 2012, 4:54 pm

AA miles for CX award, KVS says available but AA says no

I am trying to use my AA miles to book an award from DEL to LAX via HKG. I know that this is two awards because of the Asia 1 and Asia 2 rules. Currently I have an award on hold for December 12 which is DEL-HGK in J and HKG-LAX in F for a total of 97,500 miles.

I was hoping to get an earlier date and using KVS tool it shows a pairing of CX708 (J) and CX800(F). There is a 10 hour layover which I have no issues with. This pairing has been coming up for three days, but each day that I call AA they keep saying it's not available.

If I put into the KVS tool DEL and LAX I get the two flights paired together and with availability. If I enter DEL-HKG and HKG-LAX individually then the later does not come up with availability. Is this why the AA agent is not seeing it? Is there a specific way to verbalize (politely) to look a different way? Now if I do DEL-BKK and BKK-LAX I see individual availability.

My current reservation is under one record locator number though technically it's two awards, but this keeps the redeposit fee at $150 for the whole reservation should I need to cancel. If I book under two individual reservations then I'm looking at $300.

Is there something I am missing or should specifically should be asking the AA agent? Thanks for any advice.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:33 pm

So here's a follow up after my initial post above.

I know that with AA if one isn't satisfied with the answer then call back again. Normally I never have to call back but when I do usually it's just a second time and things are done.

Not this time. After posting above I called back three times (that's six for today) and spoke with Amy who had no problem finding the flights that I saw on KVS. My award from DEL-BKK-HKG-LAX is now booked, 97,500 miles and $52. Sometimes is seems like the issues sometimes work out quickly after posting here asking for help.

From DEL-BKK-HKG I'm in J and have a four hour layover in Bangkok, then a seven hour layover in HKK before flying F to LAX. I guess I'll have enough time to explore some lounges, especially in Hong Kong
Old May 22, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bruadair
If I put into the KVS tool DEL and LAX I get the two flights paired together and with availability. If I enter DEL-HKG and HKG-LAX individually then the later does not come up with availability. Is this why the AA agent is not seeing it? Is there a specific way to verbalize (politely) to look a different way?
I think such a situation is referred to as having "married segments."

Is there something I am missing or should specifically should be asking the AA agent? Thanks for any advice.
I've had several situations where the CX website shows award availability, but AA says "no" on the phone. In each case, after they finish reading me the alternatives (different dates, routings, etc.) I politely ask them to specifically look for the flight I want, and it magically is then available. This has happened at least 3 times, and I don't think I've ever ended a call where AA initially says "no" but the CX website shows availability without me being able to book.

But, I'm not sure exactly what is going on. Sometimes I get the sense that the agent is mistyping or misreading the departure date, considering near-midnight departures and dateline issues that are prevalent with CX bookings. Other times, it seems that if they just put in a route and date, nothing comes up, but if they request a specific flight number, it shows.

So, I really don't know, other than my personal experience of "can you check on flight CX### again?" always seems to work. Then again, it may have something to do with the bankruptcy.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:58 pm

I recently had good luck using the QF web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.