Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
These are older, archived posts from the original thread: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Asia Miles is known have occasional expanded availability for its own members. If you have enough Asia miles for redemption, you should definitely check on the AM site to see if anything may be available.
If you have enough Starwood SPG points, you can convert those to Asia Miles with a 25% bonus for every 20k points you transfer. So, you can first use the Asia Miles site to determine if there is availability, and if so, you might be able to call and put it on hold while you transfer the points (I think you need at least a certain percentage of the total to be already in your account when you call).
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
You're saying that since 872/873 is operated by a 777, CX isn't likely to substitute one without F. What about 870/879, scheduled to be operated by a 747? I ask because, based on reports here that the 747 is the nicest F experience on CX, I've managed to snag two F awards for next fall HKG-SFO on 870 and am wondering how paranoid I should be. (Obviously, anything can happen when booking flights almost a year out.)
My thinking was that SFO had fairly good demand and that CX has only so many 77G. But if you look a little further, you'll see I posted that my assumptions were wrong and that CX is planning on substituting a 77G on this route.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
I am new to the AA forum and I apologize if this has been asked before. I am looking to book 2x F on Cathay Pacific NYC-HKG in the beginning of January (2-10). When I called AA they said nothing was available on Cathay, not in First and not in Business. I signed up for ExpertFlyer and they are showing AAnytime award availability on CX for both First and Business and my understanding was that you can't do AAnytime awards for CX flights (only Saver), so what does this mean and how can I get those seats?

Thanks for any help!
Anytime award type is only valid on a wholly-AA metal itinerary. Despite the way EF displays the inventory availability, you need to have regular saver award availability on CX flights to redeem them using AA miles.

You are a bit too late for early booking, but if you can wait, CX is usually pretty good about releasing last-minute availability a few weeks before departure. My recommendation is that you book something acceptable first (such as JFK-NRT-HKG), and monitor award availability and seek to switch to the CX direct flights, if they become available.
Yes. AA Anytime award is only valid on AA metals. The fact that they are displayed for CX flights is merely a mapping coincidence (they both map to the Y fare code, which is also the normal full-fare code available on CX).

Asia Miles is known have occasional expanded availability for its own members. If you have enough Asia miles for redemption, you should definitely check on the AM site to see if anything may be available.

CX is one of the very few airlines that seem to consistently release last-minute award availability. The best thing for you to do right now, if you can't confirm a direct CX flight, is to book something acceptable with your AA miles, and continue to monitor CX award availability. There is a very reasonable chance that you can switch to the direct flight later (assuming you only need one or two seats).
Excellent advice from ckpeter, but I'd even take it slightly further in a couple of respects:

1. CX occasionally releases F seats sporadically, not only way in advance of the flight or in the weeks right before it. So it can make sense to keep checking.
2. One way of easily checking is to sign up for ckpeter's very useful awardnexus.com site. I believe that as an FT member you can join and run a limited number of checks for award availability for free. But even easier, for a minimal fee (I think $50), you get a status that allows you to have the site check availability for you on a daily basis, and it emails you if something opens up.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:08 am

I think what people are saying is have some patience and flexibility.

CX will open up some F award space if their cabin is wide open a week or so before departure. Ty the 747 SFO-HKG. With 9 seats in F they usually have some midweek availability.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:45 am

If you have enough Starwood SPG points, you can convert those to Asia Miles with a 25% bonus for every 20k points you transfer. So, you can first use the Asia Miles site to determine if there is availability, and if so, you might be able to call and put it on hold while you transfer the points (I think you need at least a certain percentage of the total to be already in your account when you call).
One thing to be careful of - I don't know how long the transfer to Asia Miles takes, and whether AM will put the award on hold while waiting for the transfer. What I do know, is that transfers from SPG to AA hit every Wednesday morning, as long you transferred by midafternoom the prior Monday. And AA will put CX awards on a courtesy hold. Again, I don't have experience transferring to AM and I realize that AM sometimes has one additional seat in F beyond what has been released to partners. I'm merely pointing out that SPG to AA still earns the 25% bonus and is very reliable. Good luck.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:48 am

I am new to the AA forum and I apologize if this has been asked before. I am looking to book 2x F on Cathay Pacific NYC-HKG in the beginning of January (2-10). When I called AA they said nothing was available on Cathay, not in First and not in Business. I signed up for ExpertFlyer and they are showing AAnytime award availability on CX for both First and Business and my understanding was that you can't do AAnytime awards for CX flights (only Saver), so what does this mean and how can I get those seats?

Thanks for any help!
Don't forget option of flying Eagle to YYZ if they still offer first, or LGAORD, or JFKSFO...be creative with your CX gateway. Also, Expertflyer won't help, you need awardnexus.com if monitoring for CX awards. Or just use the BA site, which is what I do. Good luck.

In fact, I just used awardnexus to check LAXHKG, and found LAXNRTHKG on AA/CX on several days. but only in J. But you could grab that and hope more seats open inside of 4 or 5 days. Admittedly not as optimal as a JFKHKG nonstop. But is the point to fly CX F or go on vacation? (That's not me being snarky, it is a legitimate question).

Last edited by jamienbaker; Nov 12, 2012 at 4:03 am Reason: Add more text
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Don't forget option of flying Eagle to YYZ if they still offer first, or LGAORD, or JFKSFO...be creative with your CX gateway. Also, Expertflyer won't help, you need awardnexus.com if monitoring for CX awards. Or just use the BA site, which is what I do. Good luck.

In fact, I just used awardnexus to check LAXHKG, and found LAXNRTHKG on AA/CX on several days. but only in J. But you could grab that and hope more seats open inside of 4 or 5 days. Admittedly not as optimal as a JFKHKG nonstop. But is the point to fly CX F or go on vacation? (That's not me being snarky, it is a legitimate question).
We actually need to be there for business from January 7-10, but we're leaving the Tuesday or Wednesday prior, to squeeze in an extended weekend vacation before we start on the business portion of it. I'm flexible to leave on the first or the second, but must return on the 10th. I have JFK-HND-HKG on hold with AA in biz and Cathay in economy, but the return is on the 13th because there was nothing else available, so I certainly need to change that.

I will sign up for awardnexus - thanks for letting me know about that. I was looking for award availability on Korean Air and someone there suggested Expertflyer so that's why I went there. They also have an alert service, but if awardnexus does the same and is more accurate, I'm certainly open to go there. I'm pretty new to trying to book long distance F or J awards because we don't have the opportunity to fly often on long distance trips. We stick close to home with our vacations being 1 to 3 hours away by plane and for such short flights we don't feel it's necessary to be in F or J.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I have plenty of SPG to transfer, but nothing in AM (I actually would need to open an AM account), so is there any point in calling to see if they have 2x F available using AM miles?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I currently have a single F seat on CX883, the 10:15pm LAX-HKG on 14JAN.
Have decided to cancel the trip. Anyone interested in coordinating a cancelation/rebook, PM me.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Would you do a crazy routing for CX F award over New J?

Just curious, currently holding a J award ORD to HKG this week Flight is sold out in first even for paying customers so likely the F award is just not opening up on this route. It appears I can get an F award via JFK but its one of those fly to LGA taxi to JFK options.

I have flown if Cathay F in the past and loved it. That said, the routing adds lots of extras (time in air, transfers between LGA and JFK) . Never tried the new CX business.

Am I crazy to even consider this routing?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by execplatscum
Just curious, currently holding a J award ORD to HKG this week Flight is sold out in first even for paying customers so likely the F award is just not opening up on this route. It appears I can get an F award via JFK but its one of those fly to LGA taxi to JFK options.

I have flown if Cathay F in the past and loved it. That said, the routing adds lots of extras (time in air, transfers between LGA and JFK) . Never tried the new CX business.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. The LGA-JFK taxi thing is easy... 20-30 minutes depending on traffic and about $30.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by execplatscum

Would take one extra connection but not 2.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'd do that in a heartbeat. The LGA-JFK taxi thing is easy... 20-30 minutes depending on traffic and about $30.
+1 Very easy transfer to JFK and away you go. New J is nice, but it is not F
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'm merely pointing out that SPG to AA still earns the 25% bonus and is very reliable. Good luck.
Booking CX awards using AA miles has very low taxes/fees, much lower than booking via Asia Miles. But, if there is space using Asia Miles and not using AA miles, the extra cost may be worth it.

I have plenty of SPG to transfer, but nothing in AM (I actually would need to open an AM account), so is there any point in calling to see if they have 2x F available using AM miles?
You can sign up for a free Asia Miles account, then log in and see if there is award space. If so, you can initiate the transfer, but AM won't put the award on hold if you have zero miles (I believe they will if you have some percent of what's needed).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:01 am

Booking CX awards using AA miles has very low taxes/fees, much lower than booking via Asia Miles. But, if there is space using Asia Miles and not using AA miles, the extra cost may be worth it.

You can sign up for a free Asia Miles account, then log in and see if there is award space. If so, you can initiate the transfer, but AM won't put the award on hold if you have zero miles (I believe they will if you have some percent of what's needed).
The only time I've ever seen a difference between AM availability and what's made available to partners is inside of 7 days. By then, it is too late to transfer into AM. So it really seems that, given the reliability of SPG to AA transfers and fact that AA will put awards on hold, that AA is the way to go. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I'll admit I'm biased - I transferred points to AM for a revenue upgrade J to F...but then my trip was cancelled. So the miles expired in the AM account due I had no use for them. This of course comes down to personal preference, but I would rather "bank" miles in AA where they can be put to plenty of uses. But then, I'm US-based...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.