Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 15, 12:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 11, 15, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA
You earn status from Jan 1 to Dec 31st.

Once earned your status lasts until the end of February a year plus.

So you have until the end of each year to earn status for the following year. The earned status lasts until the end of February the next year (eg status earned by Dec 31, 2015 lasts until Feb 28, 2017).
Old Oct 11, 15, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
You earn status from Jan 1 to Dec 31st.

Once earned your status lasts until the end of February a year plus.

So you have until the end of each year to earn status for the following year. The earned status lasts until the end of February the next year (eg status earned by Dec 31, 2015 lasts until Feb 28, 2017).
And the earning year for upgrade coupons is Mar 1 to Feb 28/9, the mileage counter resets to zero on Mar 1. The coupons themselves do not expire.
Old Oct 11, 15, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
And the earning year for upgrade coupons is Mar 1 to Feb 28/9, the mileage counter resets to zero on Mar 1. The coupons themselves do not expire.
Thanks MADPhil and wrp96.

Just to make sure of the lingo here, upgrade coupons = 500-mile upgrades = stickers, correct??
Old Oct 11, 15, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by OvertheCascades View Post
Thanks MADPhil and wrp96.

Just to make sure of the lingo here, upgrade coupons = 500-mile upgrades = stickers, correct??
Correct: there used to be coupons and stickers!
Old Oct 12, 15, 6:59 am

Newbie question here. I booked a flight with BA to LAX that I have yet to fly. Is it possible to switch it so I earn the miles on AA if I inputted my Executive Club number when making the booking?
Old Oct 12, 15, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; IHG Plat, Marriott Silver; OMNIPat;
Originally Posted by OvertheCascades View Post
Hey guys new Gold here as well.

3. The above said ticket was booked on June 2. How come my trip info on aa.com says: Issued: Monday, September 28, 2015

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

3. In either case, AA did not issue the ticket until later.
Or they issued it in June and then re-issued it in September for some reason. Double-check that everything is still correct.
Old Oct 12, 15, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jlf9 View Post
Newbie question here. I booked a flight with BA to LAX that I have yet to fly. Is it possible to switch it so I earn the miles on AA if I inputted my Executive Club number when making the booking?
Call or wait until check in at the airport, doing OLCI will make it harder for the agent.
Old Oct 12, 15, 3:47 pm
Formerly known as cedricgerald

Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
I booked 2 TATL ticket (same PNR, non refundable and can be changed with about USD 350, I guess )
I was supposed to travel with SO but she can't come.
We were upgraded with miles and co-pay on the oubound only

I need to cancel her ticket and change completely my itinerary (same origin city)
Believe I can't use her ticket value to cover my new ticket , but can I use her USD 350 copay to cover one of my two copays (will upragde both ways this time)

Second question :
will fly from Europe to 4 cities in the US then back to Europe , (will stay 1 or 2 nights in each city, one week trip total). Can 2 "C inventory upgrade" cover the 3 domestic legs ?

Last question ; if SO doesn't fly on a 001 ticket within one year of the date of issue, this money (ticket price less change fees) will be gone for good ?

thank you all
To reply to my own post :
- I can't use her copay for my ticket(probably lost)
- C upgrade valid for up to 3segments even if not on the same day.
- yes one year from the date of issue. Can be code share but must origin in the same country (not city)
Old Oct 17, 15, 12:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for your participation.

Now that the final merger has occurred, AA and US using the American Airlines brand going forward, please continue your participation in the American Airlines | AAdvantage (Combined Airline and Program) forum.

This now obsolete Newbie Lounge thread is now closed to further posting.

Your AA Moderator Team