Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Question regarding Stand By:

I couldn't yield an answer on AA's website and I only vaguely recall the old US policy (which is now kaput). For AA coded/marketed flights, If my original flight leaves 12/6 at 5:00AM, would I be able to stand by for the "Red-Eye" that departs the same day (12/6) at 12:59AM?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Milz02315
Question regarding Stand By:

I couldn't yield an answer on AA's website and I only vaguely recall the old US policy (which is now kaput). For AA coded/marketed flights, If my original flight leaves 12/6 at 5:00AM, would I be able to stand by for the "Red-Eye" that departs the same day (12/6) at 12:59AM?
Yes. Same calendar day, departure time midnight to 1159p.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Excellent! Thanks Swag.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Hey all. AA is my secondary program so please excuse my general ignorance.

I have about 175k miles and need 200k to book two SAAver business class awards PHL-MUC next March. I am doing European Delivery on a new Audi and am hoping to lock in the flights ASAP.

My general flying pattern will get me the miles I need, but not right away. Similarly, credit card bonuses take spend and a few months to acquire.

As SAAver awards for March are relatively sparse TATL, and worse in the summer, are there any recommendations as to how to quickly acquire the needed miles? I assume I cannot book without the miles in my account, even if I will have them before departure.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
As SAAver awards for March are relatively sparse TATL, and worse in the summer, are there any recommendations as to how to quickly acquire the needed miles? I assume I cannot book without the miles in my account, even if I will have them before departure.
The two other ways to obtain miles are gift from another AAdvantage member or purchase directly from AA. Both of these cost money and the former is generally not very advantageous but they are the only ways to get miles in a hurry.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Newbie question here. Am due to fly in business PEK-ORD, then ORD-LHR. What sort of equipment can I expect? Have been reading great things on the BA forum about the AA transatlantic product, but will I get the newest product on either of these flights? And would I be better off on AA 777 ORD-LHR or on the upper deck of the BA 747?
Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:59 am

Newbie lounge/elite question

I will hit platinum status later this year when I fly ORD-LAX-SYD. I'm then returning MEL-LAX-ORD two weeks later. I won't have my plat card until after my return obviously.

1. I understand that as a OW Sapphire, I'd be entitled to access the QF Intl Bus lounge in MEL. How do I show the QF folks proof of my qualification without my plat card? Will my sapphire status be reflected in some way on my QF boarding pass given that my AA number is on the res? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could convince the QF lounge staff to let me in (can I show them my status on the AA app? Do they have a way of looking it up on their end?)
2. At LAX, will I be able to get into the admirals club after arriving from Australia as an inbound intl pax? Or is lounge access based on status restricted to outbound intl travel only? What about the TBIT OW lounge?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jackk
I will hit platinum status later this year when I fly ORD-LAX-SYD. I'm then returning MEL-LAX-ORD two weeks later. I won't have my plat card until after my return obviously.

1. I understand that as a OW Sapphire, I'd be entitled to access the QF Intl Bus lounge in MEL. How do I show the QF folks proof of my qualification without my plat card? Will my sapphire status be reflected in some way on my QF boarding pass given that my AA number is on the res? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could convince the QF lounge staff to let me in (can I show them my status on the AA app? Do they have a way of looking it up on their end?)
2. At LAX, will I be able to get into the admirals club after arriving from Australia as an inbound intl pax? Or is lounge access based on status restricted to outbound intl travel only? What about the TBIT OW lounge?

Thanks in advance.
AFAIK, If you are ticketed by AA, you need to assure your PNR is updated with your AA Platinum / oneworld Sapphire status; your boarding passes, etc. should reflect your new status. If you're ticketed by Qantas, you may have to print your account screen showing your status (I'd do that in any case).

At MEL, you should have Qantas International Business Lounge access.

At LAX, you should have access to the Admirals a Club. At TBIT, you will process USCBP etc. and be land side; it is the TBIT one world Business lounge to admit qualified passengers departing TBIT, iirc, so you're not likely to be admitted there (and IMO would add a PITA layer having to secure a boarding pass, process TBIT security, only to have to do so again at T-3 - wasting significant time).

The LAX Club has nice showers and is a pretty decent Club. You'd have to pay for food beyond the basic snacks and beverages above the bottom shelf.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:54 am

my mobile boarding pass has Priority PR but my paper boarding pass has priority PA. What is the difference?

Last edited by isriam; Sep 17, 2015 at 12:37 pm
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isriam
my mobile boarding pass has Priority PR but my paper boarding pass has priority PA. What is the difference?
Not sure about "PR".

Usually, there's a "Priority Access" on a BP, and a dark circle that indicates Priority Access, encircling a code:
G = Gold
RBY = Ruby
P = Platinum
SPH = Sapphire
EP = Executive Platinum
EMD = Emerald
PA = Priority Access
PR? Just plain "Priority"?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:57 pm

yea, at first i googled PR and couldn't find anything. Then I went online and printed my boarding pass and it actually says PA which matches the AA website for priority group 1.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
I am going to buy an AA codeshare flight operated by JAL on aa.com with a fare class of N.

Will I earn 100% Elite Qualifying Miles or 30% EQM as per JAL?

Details:
AA 8405
Operated by
Japan Airlines
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by madguy2
I am going to buy an AA codeshare flight operated by JAL on aa.com with a fare class of N.

Will I earn 100% Elite Qualifying Miles or 30% EQM as per JAL?

Details:
AA 8405
Operated by
Japan Airlines
You will earn 100%

You always do when it's an AA flight number
See this page http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Where it states
Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on American Airlines and American Eagle flights as well as American or American Eagle codeshare flights operated by other airlines.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:24 am

Newbie Question re: Award Booking

Hi all. I am looking for advice on how to best book at award. Here is the situation:

We are planning far in advance for an anniversary trip to Europe next year. There will be a domestic leg and a transatlantic leg. While our date to book isn't here yet, I'm seeing 2 Business class seats on the transatlantic leg but only one on the better timed domestic legs.

So what would our best option be?

- Book the 7 am domestic leg that results in an 8 hour layover in PHL
- Book a connecting flight to PHL that gives us a scarier 1.5 hour layover in PHL
- Is it possible to call AA and just ask to be seated in economy on the domestic leg since its just a one hour flight?

And since there is 1 business award seat available on the domestic leg, do we book that one and then do one of the above options for the second seat hoping that a seat on the better flight becomes available?

Sorry for the long-winded question and appreciate any advice.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:22 am
Original Poster

The AAdvantage program, including awards, is a merged frequent flyer program, including US Dividend Miles; it is discussed in the Combined Airline and Programs forum as a result.

For your connection, it's probably best to secure the longer connection if you find there are seasonal weather issues that would affect you, commonly delays or cancelations on that route to PHL, etc.

If flights change timing, or if a better flight becomes available, there would be no charge to switch.

Yes, you can book two business awards with one in economy for the one hour leg. You have to call to book, and if a seat becomes available you can call again and get the class of service the award is for. And booking while the business seats are available on the transatlantic sector is smart.

There are threads there that discuss awards thoroughly, which might be useful to you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2014-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.