Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by cxr
Here at the airport now and I HAVE THE AA CITI ADVANTAGE CARD WHERE in
M supposed to get free checked bags but the computer kiosk charged 100 after I inserted my card is this something I should be trying to take care of now or later.
And do I call a or do I call citi to get this charge waived?
Is your card connected to your proper AA number? Has your AA number been in the reservation for 7 or more days? Is it your first checked bag?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
Is your card connected to your proper AA number? Has your AA number been in the reservation for 7 or more days? Is it your first checked bag?
And is it domestic?

Went to the Caribbean and was surprised to be charged. Found out only for domestic. Good luck getting it reversed. Got the runaround. Called AA was told to call citi. Called citi told to call AA. I think they threw me 1,000 miles for my aggravation but can't remember which one gave it to me.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
And is it domestic?

Went to the Caribbean and was surprised to be charged. Found out only for domestic. Good luck getting it reversed. Got the runaround. Called AA was told to call citi. Called citi told to call AA. I think they threw me 1,000 miles for my aggravation but can't remember which one gave it to me.
Good observations here. Clearly stated in the card terms and conditions: domestic flights only for baggage perqs.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Good observations here. Clearly stated in the card terms and conditions: domestic flights only for baggage perqs.
I never paid much attention before as previously Caribbean was free along with international. Since they recently changed it, I was taken aback when I got charged.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:54 pm

When looking at picking/changing seats, there are a number of stars above the preferred seats and Main Cabin Extra seats (anywhere from 1 to 5). Do these mean anything?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nonstopski
When looking at picking/changing seats, there are a number of stars above the preferred seats and Main Cabin Extra seats (anywhere from 1 to 5). Do these mean anything?
How much they cost if you have to pay for them.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
How much they cost if you have to pay for them.
I booked these through a family member, who I believe has status, so there was no cost for MCE or Preferred seats. So, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using his upgrades or anything like that by changing my seat?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:29 pm

I've searched a few times and cant find the link...so can anyone give me the link to find your AA record locator code on a BA award??....(booked on BA. flying on AA metal, only have BA record locator) cant pick seats until I get aa locator, which I have done before from a link found on FT....I forgot to save link and cant find it again. Anyone know the link i'm looking for?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
I've searched a few times and cant find the link...so can anyone give me the link to find your AA record locator code on a BA award??....(booked on BA. flying on AA metal, only have BA record locator) cant pick seats until I get aa locator, which I have done before from a link found on FT....I forgot to save link and cant find it again. Anyone know the link i'm looking for?
Don't know link, but if you go to my trips and click on my reservations, just input your name, flight number and date and it will come up.

You can go to Finair.com and actually change your FF number to the AA one.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:13 am

re

thanks, I was able to pull up the AA record locator that way.
Got seats for return flight , but outbound flight only shows one seat available so we have to get assigned at airport...blah.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Not sure where to post this, or where to call to help sort it out.

I was supposed to fly EWR-CLT-CHS(Charleston, SC)-CLT-EWR today. Flew EWR-CLT then the flight to CHS was delayed to the point where it would be silly to go down to CHS and risk being stuck. I went straight to a customer service desk (mistake now I realize I should have gone straight back to the lounge) the agent I worked with was great, and I said I would like to declare it a trip in vain. She went to go check with her supervisor who said that I had to be delayed more than 4 hours to use that policy. The agent called the help desk and they directed her to the trip in vain policy which obviously had no language in it about a minimum four delay, so she found another supervisor who approved my trip in vain request all of this meant that I missed the next flight back to EWR delaying my return by about 3 hours. At this point I don't really care about getting money back for the missed segments I would just like to get the original routing credit. Do I call aadvantage customer service even though all the flights were on US?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Does anyone know, when you change/redeposit an AA award as an EXP, do you also get the taxes/fees paid for the original award booking refunded back to your credit card as well? Is this the same for AA and partner award bookings via AA?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
NDo I call aadvantage customer service even though all the flights were on US?
Yes, any original routing credit requests go through AAdvantage Customer Service.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nk15
Does anyone know, when you change/redeposit an AA award as an EXP, do you also get the taxes/fees paid for the original award booking refunded back to your credit card as well? Is this the same for AA and partner award bookings via AA?
Yes. Anyone that cancels an award (not just EXP) will get the taxes refunded back to the original credit card. A non-EXP will have to pay the $150 fee if they'd like the miles redeposited as well.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes. Anyone that cancels an award (not just EXP) will get the taxes refunded back to the original credit card. A non-EXP will have to pay the $150 fee if they'd like the miles redeposited as well.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.