Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Award travel ORD -SVQ on Iberia

Thre is a routing with TA flights on Air Berlin which will save a lot of money in taxes/fees as compared with flights on BA. Just wondering if award seats on Iberia have high fees similar to BA? I have placed a call to AA reservations but they have to call me back later.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mary_228
Thre is a routing with TA flights on Air Berlin which will save a lot of money in taxes/fees as compared with flights on BA. Just wondering if award seats on Iberia have high fees similar to BA? I have placed a call to AA reservations but they have to call me back later.
Iberia has significantly lower YQ fees than BA, but they to have them; airberlin do not.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Iberia has significantly lower YQ fees than BA, but they to have them; airberlin do not.
For anyone interested in the specifics, I got the call back from AA and the Iberia fee for the one way ticket is $106 (two segments), the BA fee is $294 (three segments) and AirBerlin is $30.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

For anyone interested in the specifics, I got the call back from AA and the Iberia fee for the one way ticket is $106 (two segments), the BA fee is $294 (three segments) and AirBerlin is $30.
Thanks for sharing. What was the routing?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:23 am

Thanks for sharing. What was the routing?
IB: ORD-MAD-SVQ ($104.80 + 40 res fee)
AB: ORD-TXL-PMI-SVQ ($30.50)
BA: ORD-LHR, LGW-SVQ ($294.50)

This is for my daughter's first solo trip abroad so in addition to trying to use miles, I'd like to make it as easy as possible for her.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

IB: ORD-MAD-SVQ ($104.80 + 40 res fee)
AB: ORD-TXL-PMI-SVQ ($30.50)
BA: ORD-LHR, LGW-SVQ ($294.50)

This is for my daughter's first solo trip abroad so in addition to trying to use miles, I'd like to make it as easy as possible for her.
Thanks.

There is no booking fee for calling when a partner airline can't be booked online.

Airlines that can be booked for award travel on aa.com:
  • oneworld alliance partners
    • AB - airberlin
    • BA - British Airways (awards incur YQ surcharge)
    • AY - Finnair
    • QF - Qantas
    • RJ - Royal Jordanian Airlines
    • US - US Airways
  • Other airline participants
    • AS - Alaska Airlines
    • HA - Hawaiian Airlines
All other airlines have to be requested by telephone; calling to book awards that cannot be booked online no longer incurs telephone service fees.
IMO IB might be easiest.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
How bad is connection in JFK?

I am trying to get my parents home from HKG-YYZ. currently, they have a 1 way award coach ticket HGK-YYZ dated Nov2015 (I had it changed so they can essentially standby).

My mom's back is not in good shape, so I need to put her in business class across the ocean.

I've been looking for availability on the HKG-YYZ direct (CX) flights for the last week or so, and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm seeing trickle of coach seats for next day departure, but no luck on business class seats.

I'm now considering flying her through JFK, which has lots of availability in business class in CX. however, this means they have to connect at JFK. According to google, the CX flight arrives in Terminal 7, and the AA flight departs in Termina 8. Questions:

1. Do they have to pick up and recheck luggage?
2. How difficult is it for non-English speaking (and somewhat old) people getting from the international arrival in Terminal 7 to departure (internationally to Toronto) in Terminal 8. Considering the scheduled landing is ~1pm and departure is ~3:30pm).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chunky649
I am trying to get my parents home from HKG-YYZ. currently, they have a 1 way award coach ticket HGK-YYZ dated Nov2015 (I had it changed so they can essentially standby).

My mom's back is not in good shape, so I need to put her in business class across the ocean.

I've been looking for availability on the HKG-YYZ direct (CX) flights for the last week or so, and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm seeing trickle of coach seats for next day departure, but no luck on business class seats.

I'm now considering flying her through JFK, which has lots of availability in business class in CX. however, this means they have to connect at JFK. According to google, the CX flight arrives in Terminal 7, and the AA flight departs in Termina 8. Questions:

1. Do they have to pick up and recheck luggage?
2. How difficult is it for non-English speaking (and somewhat old) people getting from the international arrival in Terminal 7 to departure (internationally to Toronto) in Terminal 8. Considering the scheduled landing is ~1pm and departure is ~3:30pm).
If you provide them with information and map, it's not so difficult.

Nearly everyone arriving in the US must pass through immigration formalities, retrieve baggage, pass customs and can return their baggage at the counters just beyond customs.

They will be landside, have to take the train to T-8 (no cost), pass TSA security, etc. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...solidated.html

This way, they'll have Business. Waiting for Business award to become available to YYZ is a gamble.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:24 am

If you provide them with information and map, it's not so difficult.

Nearly everyone arriving in the US must pass through immigration formalities, retrieve baggage, pass customs and can return their baggage at the counters just beyond customs.

They will be landside, have to take the train to T-8 (no cost), pass TSA security, etc. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...solidated.html

This way, they'll have Business. Waiting for Business award to become available to YYZ is a gamble.
The last time I went through JFK, I had to go through a bunch of maze and stairs, ending up outside (literally). Then I walked to the next terminal, and basically check in my connecting flight as if I am on a new JFK-XYZ flight. I figured it out with the signage. but for my aged parents with luggage, bad eyes, no English skills, and back problem, I'm very worried... Still, I'll consider it. My dad is sick of the heat and high humidity of HKG, and wants to get back home to Toronto.
Thanks for the link.

anybody know if connecting JFK to another international destination (YYZ), do you have to pick up and recheck luggage?
When I was flying PEK-DFW, I overheard the agent next booth over tell another person that his luggage with be checked-through to his final destination, even though he was on the same flight. I can't confirm, as I only had carry-on.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:56 pm

There is no booking fee for calling when a partner airline can't be booked online.
The agent told me there would be a $40 fee. It did seem to me in my past experience there was no fee as you described.

Last edited by mary_228; Jun 4, 2015 at 1:59 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:21 pm

The agent gave told me there would be a $40 fee. It did seem to me in my past experience there was no fee as you described.
I was also charged a telephone booking fee for international flights on CX for my parents (I forget the total fee). They charged me for each of my parent's tickets!

This was earlier this year (~January/March)

I currently have no status with AA.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

The agent told me there would be a $40 fee. It did seem to me in my past experience there was no fee as you described.
I was also charged a telephone booking fee for international flights on CX for my parents (I forget the total fee). They charged me for each of my parent's tickets!

This was earlier this year (~January/March)

I currently have no status with AA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...le-aa-com.html contains the answers (read the wiki). AA no longer charges for booking awards that can not be booked online.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
anybody know if connecting JFK to another international destination (YYZ), do you have to pick up and recheck luggage?
Yes you have to pick up luggage and recheck at JFK even when connecting international-international. That's the standard in the U.S.

When I was flying PEK-DFW, I overheard the agent next booth over tell another person that his luggage with be checked-through to his final destination, even though he was on the same flight. I can't confirm, as I only had carry-on.
DFW has the ITI program available, which, if the bags are properly tagged ITI at checkin, allows people to skip the luggage connection on international-international itineraries (you still have to go through immigration and back through security). It's only in affect at a few airports and not all airlines participate.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The bag will usually be checked through to the final destination when the carriers interline bags. However it will appear on a carousel at the first place in the US and you will have to collect it and take it through customs. You then hand it back to the airline without actually re-checking it.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
Achieving EXP early

Let's say I achieve EXP in August. Do I have to wait until January 1 to achieve eqm or can I get a head start early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.