Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by angeloedades
Hi All,

A complete AA virgin / newbie here. I hope someone will be able to answer my questions.

I am doing DUB-LCY-JFK-BOS-ORD-BOS-JFK-LHR-DUB with JFK-BOS-ORD-BOS-JFK with AA.

1. JFK-BOS // BOS-JFK is just a short 30 minute flight right so nothing special about first class service right?
Correct

2. BOS-ORD // ORD-BOS is under 899 miles (according to gcmap.com) but according to AA website (http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...mium-cabin.jsp) there will be an enhanced meal service?
Yes, there will be a full meal - provided your flight departs during the hours listed in the fine print:

Full meals are served on departures between 5 a.m. -1:30 p.m. and 4:01 p.m. – 8 p.m. Warmed mixed nuts and Lite Bites are served on departures between 1:31 p.m. – 4 p.m. and after 8:01 p.m.
3. I was doing some research on the meals for BOS-ORD // ORD-BOS and certain threads suggest that FEBO is now dead but this source (http://www.flyerguide.com/Food_and_Beverages_(AA)) suggests that FEBO is still alive. Can someone confirm what is the case? At the moment I have preselected my seats based on FEBO being active for these flights.
FEBO has been officially discontinued. Starting at 30 days prior to departure, you can reserve your meal choice so this should alleviate some of your concerns.

4. My 4 flights on AA are on the B738. I gather from the seat maps in research that they are all equal in terms of leg room. Is there a seat that is clearly better than any other seat in the F cabin?
I don't find a discernible difference. I avoid the bulkhead b/c I don't like having to stow my laptop bag in the overhead compartment - which is mandatory for takeoff/landing in the bulkhead row.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
How early do AA release their award seats on domestic US routes? I am looking to travel between SFO and LAX in late May on as part of an USDM itinerary, but I can only find 3-4 departures (all in the morning) with available award seats, and I need to travel later in the evening.

Meanwhile, if I do a search in late January, there seems to be seats on nearly every departure, e.g. AA209 and AA219 (my desired departures).

Is the grayed out space in May due to all award seats being taken, or is AA blocking it until later?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by staff
Is the grayed out space in May due to all award seats being taken, or is AA blocking it until later?
They release award seats 330 days out - so seats for May '15 have been already booked. Its possible they may release more as flight time approaches - esp. a week to 10 days before departure - but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:29 pm

If I book AA flights using BA Avios - will I still be able to change the day/time of the flight easily? I will add my AAdvantage number to the reservation after it is made. Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by bdemaria
They release award seats 330 days out - so seats for May '15 have been already booked. Its possible they may release more as flight time approaches - esp. a week to 10 days before departure - but I wouldn't count on it.
Thanks.

Follow-up question. I can't find a single award seat in any cabin between SFO and LAX on the 22nd May. Is this normal?

I need to get between SFO and LAX either on the evening of the 21st May or at any time on the 22nd May. Do you have any suggestions on alternative routings that don't involve too much of a detour/hassle?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by CherylD
If I book AA flights using BA Avios - will I still be able to change the day/time of the flight easily? I will add my AAdvantage number to the reservation after it is made. Thank you!
No: BAEC does not permit free day/time changes on award flights. You can either pay a change fee, or pay a cancellation fee and re-book. The latter will probably be the cheaper option if you have only booked a domestic (U.S.) flight on AA.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No: BAEC does not permit free day/time changes on award flights. You can either pay a change fee, or pay a cancellation fee and re-book. The latter will probably be the cheaper option if you have only booked a domestic (U.S.) flight on AA.
Thank you! I thought there was an issue with this.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
So AA (or technically JL operated flight on AA codeshare) cancelled my flight in Jakarta-CGK to NRT, impacting my NRT-DFW-PHL flights. A scramble ensued (understatement), resulting in me booking a combination of revenue and award tickets back to my home. I have a separate itinerary from PHL-home that I will not be flying because of the cancellation, since I've made my own arrangements. Any chance that AA will refund (or at least issue a voucher) for this itinerary?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

Follow-up question. I can't find a single award seat in any cabin between SFO and LAX on the 22nd May. Is this normal?
Yes

I need to get between SFO and LAX either on the evening of the 21st May or at any time on the 22nd May. Do you have any suggestions on alternative routings that don't involve too much of a detour/hassle?
You can try routing out of SJC, or you can buy a ticket on the flight you want out of SFO, one way fares SFO-LAX are about $100
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brewdog11
So AA (or technically JL operated flight on AA codeshare) cancelled my flight in Jakarta-CGK to NRT, impacting my NRT-DFW-PHL flights. A scramble ensued (understatement), resulting in me booking a combination of revenue and award tickets back to my home. I have a separate itinerary from PHL-home that I will not be flying because of the cancellation, since I've made my own arrangements. Any chance that AA will refund (or at least issue a voucher) for this itinerary?
Its definitely worth pursuing.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:03 pm

It should be - provided you have a credit card that offers a free bag (not all AAdvantage branded cards offer this benefit)
I have a similar situation. I redeemed AA miles for a free ticket to fly to Hawaii and I will be on AA and Hawaiian Air. I used Citi AA platinum biz MC, which offers a free bag, to pay for the fee.

- Is the 1st checked bag on the AA segment free when it is an award ticket?
- Do I have to pay for the checked bag fee for Hawaiian Air?
- Do I just show my card when checking in at the airport ticket counter? If not, what do I need to do?
- What if I used other airline's card to pay for the fee? By simply holding the AA Platinum and AA Exec cards, is that enough to get my bag checked for free?

Thanks much!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Correct

Yes, there will be a full meal - provided your flight departs during the hours listed in the fine print:

FEBO has been officially discontinued. Starting at 30 days prior to departure, you can reserve your meal choice so this should alleviate some of your concerns.

I don't find a discernible difference. I avoid the bulkhead b/c I don't like having to stow my laptop bag in the overhead compartment - which is mandatory for takeoff/landing in the bulkhead row.
Thanks for the reply bdemaria! How did miss the small print .

Thankfully my BOS-ORD-BOS are booked within meal times.

I will probably stick to 3A on the thirty minute hops and pick 4A on the other two as I will need to work on my laptop.

Thanks again.

/AE
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
A pretty newbie question:

I made GLD on my very last flight of 2014, and this gives me a tingly feeling. It's my first time ever having status.

Having booked a flight for March, I did wonder how the following benefit worked.

* Upgrades for Flights under 500 mile, According to AA:
Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
for GLD, PLT and EXP.

However, when I scroll down manage my booking, where one segment is AUS-DFW, I see "request upgrade" N/A. I picked a good preferred seat for free, just to be sure, but how does the upgrade process go. Will I just get a note that my upgrade went through at T-24? Will I be able to pick a seat then, or just get a random First seat assigned?

What if, for example, there's no window seat available in First, can I still pick an economy seat?

Another, unrelated question. Booking through the AA-site, I was offered a routing LHR-DFW. However, on ITA, I could find a routing LHR-MIA, that was 20 euro cheaper, and would give me more miles to boot. Now, the money and miles were not worth the extra flight duration this time around, but I can imagine a desire to optimize miles in the future.

My assumption would be that in order to get that routing, I should have booked by phone and insisted on booking the flights as given by ITA? Or is there a trick to force routings online? Would I have to pay a phone booking fee, or would that have been waived since I couldn't book that routing on-line?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for asking these somewhat basic questions.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
A pretty newbie question:

I made GLD on my very last flight of 2014, and this gives me a tingly feeling. It's my first time ever having status.

Having booked a flight for March, I did wonder how the following benefit worked.

* Upgrades for Flights under 500 mile, According to AA:
for GLD, PLT and EXP.

However, when I scroll down manage my booking, where one segment is AUS-DFW, I see "request upgrade" N/A. I picked a good preferred seat for free, just to be sure, but how does the upgrade process go. Will I just get a note that my upgrade went through at T-24? Will I be able to pick a seat then, or just get a random First seat assigned?

What if, for example, there's no window seat available in First, can I still pick an economy seat?

Another, unrelated question. Booking through the AA-site, I was offered a routing LHR-DFW. However, on ITA, I could find a routing LHR-MIA, that was 20 euro cheaper, and would give me more miles to boot. Now, the money and miles were not worth the extra flight duration this time around, but I can imagine a desire to optimize miles in the future.

My assumption would be that in order to get that routing, I should have booked by phone and insisted on booking the flights as given by ITA? Or is there a trick to force routings online? Would I have to pay a phone booking fee, or would that have been waived since I couldn't book that routing on-line?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for asking these somewhat basic questions.
If you made the reservation before you achieved status then you need to call in to get the reservation relinked, however the fact that it says N/A for "request upgrade" suggests that your status is already on the reservation. Unless there is no FC of course! If upgraded you will get a random seat assignment but you may catch it in time to move to a seat of your choice. You should be able to decline the upgrade but you will probably have lost your original seat.

You should be able to force a route by using the multi-city option and still get the correct through fare.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you made the reservation before you achieved status then you need to call in to get the reservation relinked, however the fact that it says N/A for "request upgrade" suggests that your status is already on the reservation. Unless there is no FC of course! If upgraded you will get a random seat assignment but you may catch it in time to move to a seat of your choice. You should be able to decline the upgrade but you will probably have lost your original seat.

You should be able to force a route by using the multi-city option and still get the correct through fare.
Really? I haven't been able to try it out yet since I don't have a <500 mi flight anytime soon, but I would imagine that it would say "Requested" if it was requested. In addition, that will be a benefit of the combined programs, which goes into effect in Q2 2015, so I'm not sure whether this unlimited auto requested upgrades for flights <500 miles has really come into effect yet.

But to the OP, you will be assigned a random seat (although the system might try to adhere to your preference of window/aisle as selected in your AA.com profile; to me it seems like it does that since it always gives me an aisle when there are aisles open) when you get upgraded but you may certainly go and change your seat selection from that time up until you board, although if you get upgraded at the gate, there probably won't be any other choices available. Keep in mind that GLDs have lower upgrade priority than PLTs and EXPs, so you may not be upgraded at all. But AA will clear you as soon as it thinks it can starting from T-24. You typically get an email notifying you, although sometimes I did not receive one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.