Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Can I standby for a flight prior to 7PM if this line is included in the fare rules:

Day Time Application

PERMITTED 500AM TO 700AM OR 700PM TO 1159PM DAILY.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:13 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
I'd like to book a RT from DCA-AUS. ITAmatrix is showing an option where the connection time in DFW is 5 hours 5 minutes. Unfortunately, AA.com or Travelocity will not show me this routing and I want this large connection time in DFW so that I can check out the Centurion lounge. The options available are ~1 hour connections. Is there any way I can choose my own segments(with the 5 hour connection) without paying the phone booking fee?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Aviator88
I'd like to book a RT from DCA-AUS. ITAmatrix is showing an option where the connection time in DFW is 5 hours 5 minutes. Unfortunately, AA.com or Travelocity will not show me this routing and I want this large connection time in DFW so that I can check out the Centurion lounge. The options available are ~1 hour connections. Is there any way I can choose my own segments(with the 5 hour connection) without paying the phone booking fee?
Have you tried using the multi-city booking engine at aa.com?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Question Qestion about oneworld mileage posting.

Hello AA Newbie Lounge,

I'm new to AA and Oneworld having made the great leap from UA.

In mid-Dec I completed a multi-leg TPAC flight on JAL/AA (single PNR in C) and have not had the JAL mileage portions posted yet. The automated mileage request form on the AA website requires a "ticket" number and shows where this information would be located on AA stock, but my JAL boarding cards do not have this information.

So, my plan forward is to call AA when the 30-day wait period is up and use the PNR for tracking down the missing mileage.

Any other suggestions from you good folks or is there other information the AA CSR will require?

Thank you in advance.
DirtyDan

Last edited by DirtyDan; Jan 8, 2015 at 7:30 pm Reason: tried to fix that first spelling error... dang. :o)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA
Is there any knowable system that governs what category of reward fares will be available for different airlines on given flights?

I was looking to book SFO-LHR in business class or above on AA using miles, but it appears that, regardless of dates, only BA flights—not AA flights—are available for MileSAAver tickets, and I'm not crazy about paying BA's surcharges on a reward flight.

Am I missing something or is this just how it is always?

Should I expect not to be able to fly to LHR without booking AAnytime (which is a ton of miles, as this is for two people) or blowing thousands on surcharges?

Last edited by chrisremo; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by chrisremo
Is there any knowable system that governs what category of reward fares will be available for different airlines on given flights?

I was looking to book SFO-LHR in business class or above on AA using miles, but it appears that, regardless of dates, only BA flights—not AA flights—are available for MileSAAver tickets, and I'm not crazy about paying BA's surcharges on a reward flight.

Am I missing something or is this just how it is always?

Should I expect not to be able to fly to LHR without booking AAnytime (which is a ton of miles, as this is for two people) or blowing thousands on surcharges?
Premium cabin seats on AA metal US-Europe have become very hard to find. From the west coast, especially so. And looking for 2 seats will make it exponentially harder.

Best bet to minimize surcharges would be to check connecting flights, especially on some of AA's other partners.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by swag
Premium cabin seats on AA metal US-Europe have become very hard to find. From the west coast, especially so. And looking for 2 seats will make it exponentially harder.

Best bet to minimize surcharges would be to check connecting flights, especially on some of AA's other partners.
Thanks for the reply. I just read through a ton of FT threads on this and it seems pretty dire. It's too bad; I last flew SFO-LHR first class on miles in 2009 and was hoping to be able to repeat that success but I guess those days are gone (or at least more expensive). Hope that lawsuit goes somewhere but I don't think I'm counting on it.

What do you mean by check connecting flights? Sorry if I'm missing something that should be clear. (I'm new to a lot of the detailed mechanical stuff that FT posters seem to understand in great depth, and am trying to bone up.)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:47 pm

Hey guys,

Could you please let me know where upgrade with miles inventory comes from? AA rebooked me into full-on Y class, so it looks like it's only 5K miles to upgrade. Can I check inventory somewhere? It's not regular first class award space, right?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Hey guys,

Could you please let me know where upgrade with miles inventory comes from? AA rebooked me into full-on Y class, so it looks like it's only 5K miles to upgrade. Can I check inventory somewhere? It's not regular first class award space, right?

Thanks!
You'd need to provide more details. Is it a two class domestic flight? If so, then you would need "A" inventory. You can find availability on expertflyer.com - or by calling AA and asking. You definitely need to call in to book it. However
be aware: its entirely possible that if you call in and request the upgrade, the "mistake" will be caught and you wont be eligible to upgrade based on the rebooked class of service. (You'll also need to be sure that you are truly booked as a "Y" fare - rather than simply being placed in the "Y" cabin)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Thanks for the reply. I just read through a ton of FT threads on this and it seems pretty dire. It's too bad; I last flew SFO-LHR first class on miles in 2009 and was hoping to be able to repeat that success but I guess those days are gone (or at least more expensive). Hope that lawsuit goes somewhere but I don't think I'm counting on it.

What do you mean by check connecting flights? Sorry if I'm missing something that should be clear. (I'm new to a lot of the detailed mechanical stuff that FT posters seem to understand in great depth, and am trying to bone up.)
Start by looking for the long haul flights on routes flown by AA, such as Chicago-LHR, DFW-LHR, JFK-LHR, etc... and then try to find an appropriate domestic connection. LAX-LHR would be another alternative - but that's a very tough route for award tickets.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
You'd need to provide more details. Is it a two class domestic flight? If so, then you would need "A" inventory. You can find availability on expertflyer.com - or by calling AA and asking. You definitely need to call in to book it. However
be aware: its entirely possible that if you call in and request the upgrade, the "mistake" will be caught and you wont be eligible to upgrade based on the rebooked class of service. (You'll also need to be sure that you are truly booked as a "Y" fare - rather than simply being placed in the "Y" cabin)
It is 2 class domestic, yes. Thanks for the "A" notice.

Eh, if the mistake is caught then it's caught - I was never supposed to be in Y anyway. aa.com shows booking code as Y which I think is the fare class, so worth a try calling in.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:11 am
Suspended

Guys, couple questions. Bought an AA flight using a combination of gift cards and my AAdvantage card and I have a few questions.

1) This is ORD to LAS (1,504 miles each way). My booking code is O. So I would earn 3,008 miles once flights are traveled? And would I still quality even though I bought using combo of GC's and CC?

2) Is my first checked bag free eventhough I didn't buy the full fare on my AAdvantage CC?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Guys, couple questions. Bought an AA flight using a combination of gift cards and my AAdvantage card and I have a few questions.

1) This is ORD to LAS (1,504 miles each way). My booking code is O. So I would earn 3,008 miles once flights are traveled? And would I still quality even though I bought using combo of GC's and CC?
Yes, you will earn the miles

Originally Posted by TMM1982
2) Is my first checked bag free eventhough I didn't buy the full fare on my AAdvantage CC?
It should be - provided you have a credit card that offers a free bag (not all AAdvantage branded cards offer this benefit)
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Yes, you will earn the miles

It should be - provided you have a credit card that offers a free bag (not all AAdvantage branded cards offer this benefit)
Thank you. I have the Platinum select which I'm pretty sure does.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Hi All,

A complete AA virgin / newbie here. I hope someone will be able to answer my questions.

I am doing DUB-LCY-JFK-BOS-ORD-BOS-JFK-LHR-DUB with JFK-BOS-ORD-BOS-JFK with AA.

1. JFK-BOS // BOS-JFK is just a short 30 minute flight right so nothing special about first class service right?

2. BOS-ORD // ORD-BOS is under 899 miles (according to gcmap.com) but according to AA website (http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...mium-cabin.jsp) there will be an enhanced meal service?

3. I was doing some research on the meals for BOS-ORD // ORD-BOS and certain threads suggest that FEBO is now dead but this source (http://www.flyerguide.com/Food_and_Beverages_(AA)) suggests that FEBO is still alive. Can someone confirm what is the case? At the moment I have preselected my seats based on FEBO being active for these flights.

4. My 4 flights on AA are on the B738. I gather from the seat maps in research that they are all equal in terms of leg room. Is there a seat that is clearly better than any other seat in the F cabin?

Thank you for the upcoming answers and for the help!

/AE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.